MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
05 Mini One 'Panda' 6 speed
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's going on guys. I've been reading a few posts concerning performance and the R50 but I just wanted to try and get some more up to date specifics.

I currently have an 05' R50 with a gear box conversion. I'm looking to make the car a little bit quicker and handle better however I'm not exactly sure where to start and what are the best options.

I also am interested in doing some body work and adding a scooped hood modded for better airflow into a [email protected] cold air intake. Do GP bumpers fit on the R50?

In combination with a cold air intake what are some good exhausts to look at and remaps to consider. What exactly will a 4-2-1 and a decat achieve?

What about brakes, coilovers and tires? I've heard maybe you can get R56 calipers retrofitted? Are there lightweight wheels I should consider?

I've also seen some engine braces and back seat braces, how much does this add to stability and handling?

As far as dropping weight, what can I start deleting?

I may have a NA fetish so don't suggest trading up to the 53 haha

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
4-2-1 with a decat will be loud and not nice. Get a 4-2-1 with a nice resonated stainless steel exhaust system, plenty of off shelf items or get it custom made somewhere.

R56 Cooper S calipers will fit on the front, (actually any R56 caliper will but you need the 'S' carriers/brackets to allow the bigger discs). If you're in the States, can you get Willwoods for cheap? They'd look nicer between the spokes. I would move to some 16" rims with chunky tyres, a 50 profile is perfect. Your R56 S brakes will fit under 16's, as might some 4 pot BBKs.

KW coilovers are really where it's at, I've tried lots of options over the years and it really is buy cheap buy twice. I would look at KW V2's and upward. Or the ST range equivalent. Forget the engine and rear seat braces, they do nothing. Chuck a bigger anti roll bar in at the back.

I don't think you're going to lose much weight tbh unless you're looking at creating a stripped out road goer, which can be fairly unpleasant. The seats will be the heaviest thing, so could look at chucking in a couple of comfortable buckets up front, but then you really should be running harnesses from a cage, which does look cool but totally changes the dynamic of the car, plus you're then getting some trade off against the weight benefits.

Would be cool to see some nicer R50's around, I have thought about it myself and if I was to get back into cars/MINI's it might be what I'd look at. Sticking a nice cam in the head would make it interesting.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Performance camshaft. Remapped to suit.

R56 Cooper S brakes are a good value upgrade.

Make sure all the suspension bushes are in good condition (rear bush on front arms is the worst for splitting).

Get those oil leaks sorted. There will be plenty, all well documented (and mostly fixed by Mod Mini) on YouTube.

Get a few pictures of your Mini posted.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
The only chassis brace that has some noticeable effect on these cars is the OMP lower brace.

If I'm not terribly mistaken most R53 aftermarket cams work on the N/A engine too, so that's probably the best/easiest way to get a bit more power.

R56 rear trailing arms are a common mod on the R53 and will work similarly on an R50. Saves weight, partly unsprung mass too, which is even better.

Removing everything rear seat related will save you about 20kg. Replacing the front seats with buckets will probably save about the same amount, depending what you have now. Stock leathers are about 22kg each. Lightweight battery will save maybe 6kg. Lighter wheels are always a good idea. OZ makes some good lightweight wheels like Ultraleggera and Alleggerita, but they're not the cheapest. Here are some parts with their weights listed, most will be same on the R50: weight of some R53 bits - just for info

Almost forgot: rear wiper is a good place to start saving weight. Useless piece of kit anyway. Unless you enjoy making a mess of the tailgate by using it. 😝

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
794 Posts
My R52 (basic mini one convertible) I kept basic, k&n 57i, scorpion cat back and superchip bluefin, that went from 89bhp to 123bhp, the biggest difference being made with the bluefin

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
My R52 (backs mini one convertible) I kept basic, k&n 57i, scorpion cat back and superchip bluefin, that went from 89bhp to 123bhp, the biggest difference being made with the bluefin
Were those figures from a dyno? Just asking because usually there aren't much gains past the Cooper figures (115bhp) with just a tune.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the other day my power steering pump went out and I yanked it. That mfer was probably 40 pounds I'm not even joking. I swear it easier to drive with empty lines than it was with resistance from the stagnant fluid.

I've seen a little bit of talk about the srpint booster as opposed to a remap/tune. Anyone got an opinion on whether that works? Don't really want to drop almost $300 on something that doesn't really do anything.

I believe I am going to focus on handling and maneuverability before I look at performance.

I'm waiting for it to warm up but I have a busted throw bearing and I'm going to eventually replace the entire clutch system. I kind of want to keep it heavy so I can maintain the torque however maybe a lightweight flywheel would be better does anybody have any opinions on that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the ps pump is no longer under goodwill warranty in the US?

Sprint booster doesn't change the power output of the engine. It's not an alternative to a tune. Although with a tune you can do what a sprint booster does (change the gas pedal linearity).
I called a number of mini dealerships and what I basically gathered is that the safety recall for the power steering pump is only covered for minis made up until January of 2005 unfortunately my mini was made in June of 05'

Even a VIN search only shows at a passenger seat sensor for the airbag on recalls.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
794 Posts
oh yeah that’s the other thing mine had a powerboost pedal chip, I assume that’s the same as a sprint booster?

it didn’t give any extra power but defiantly got rid of throttle lag and I found it gave a lovely throaty roar when you put your foot down (I’ve still got one on the R53)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've actually heard of the mini one getting up to 120bhp just from getting the JCW tune file activated on the ECU at a dealership. Can anyone attest to the validity of this?

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
somebody said it before me😂 C c c cam

you can make it quite a lot quicker if you want, it just won't be particularly cheap to do,

there are several cams that work in these, supercharged cams have less duration so use the cams better suited to your car, although they can work, you just might not get what you could perhaps....

a 4:2.1 can help support the cam change, they'll all perform differently, on an NA car the performance edge will come from a better pipe.

a de-cat is perfectly ok so long as you haven't already ruined the system with a straight pipe or open type which will kill back pressure that a de-cat will only make worse as well as increase noise significantly more in conjunction, if you run a quality twin box system the use of a decat can prove ok imo, the stock one though just cut out of a standard OEM pipe and put into a pipe that can be added to a 4:2.1 as a bolt in cat will work as a compromise though, they're a resilient cat really.

R56S brakes are a minimum I'd add if not better

if you have a Mini One you probably won't have a rear anti roll bar or mounts for it so you need to swap the subframe or modify yours

If you've done a six speed conversion you've added some significant vehicle weight with the box weight difference and DMF if you used one, keeping it heavy might retain the torque but you still have to spin it up, and in a 90 or 123hp car or whatever the Cooper is, it's a power sapper. You're going to have to take a bit out of the car to make up for the weight gain let alone improve it if hoping to.

if you have the budget there are carbon panels made to replicate OEM structures which could make a big difference to vehicle weight, far from cheap but out there, that and GRP/Kevlar seats and other trim changes is all you can do other than use fibreglass panels which depart from the OEM look quite a lot and look naff on a road car.

the sprint booster adds zero HP, all it does is condense the throttle pedal travel into a faster housing response, nothing else, it might be adjustable, then so is your foot.

if adding performance (proper) forget generic maps unless you have no alternative, find someone to custom map it for the parts on your actual car or lose out on gains potentially, simple as that,

the jump above from 90 to 120 odd HP is only about a Mini One going from a restricted throttle to non restricted the Cooper has, which is why the gains look great on paper, it's not so much the map as just removing the cars restriction, if you have a Cooper you'd only realise a few token HP which will be down to minor timing changes or slight fuelling a generic map might offer perhaps, so in that case possibly worth less overall. Again, custom tune is the way imo.

coilovers? Hornets nest of opinion/recommendation, not all of it great.

Reactions: minifo

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
829 Posts
Yep the One and Cooper engines are absolutely identical bar the tune. Remap tends to bring it up to Cooper level plus a bit as a remap tends to be a bit more optimised than the stock Cooper map.

Breathing mods help a tiny bit too.

The one does however not have a rear anti roll bar, also has slightly longer gearing, so there are some mechanical differences vs a Cooper....

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
794 Posts
pipsyp, put the standard airbox back on for a day and you will see how much better the k&n you have is compared to standard intake, it feels a lot more than a ‘tiny bit’ of difference, i couldnt believe how it strangled the car when i swapped the k&n out for the standard box to sell the car, just as well i was in a generous mood when you twisted my arm to put it back on for you!

minifo, i was happy with my generic ’bluefin’ as all i wanted to do was derestrict the power, which it did superbly, obviously as sean says if your serious about it get it cammed and custom mapped.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,719 Posts
I'm still fancying buying a cooper for some tracktime amusement

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you want a really rowdy decat I still have my buddyclub manifold that I’d sell. It is stupid loud though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Replaced the ps pump and fuck it feels amazing not having to man handle my car.
going to looking into a set of 16in tires with some light weight rims that fit a set of R56s calipers. Anyone have any suggestions for this? I definitely want to do all my handling upgrades before I start adding more power.

·
Bugger
25,425 Posts
If you want a really rowdy decat I still have my buddyclub manifold that I’d sell. It is stupid loud though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that the one I sold to you / Vhyper about 10 years ago? It was a beautifully made bit of kit and the only one ever made.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts