MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dear fellow torquers yet another cooper r50 suspension question.

Which would be the best combi:
  • Koni special active sport and Eibach pro kit springs
  • Bilstein B4 and Eibach pro kit springs

My current setup is Bilstein B4 and old unknown presuably lowering springs (2 bronze stripes). I have the above sets already so this is not a which to buy question;)

And YES I know coilover would be best best option but that must wait.

Any comments and recommendations are highly appreciated...

·
Bugger
25,426 Posts
Coilovers

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,725 Posts
It is an answer. Don't bother with new springs on old dampers, and don't bother with unmatched sets of springs and dampers, save your money for a proper set of coilovers.

And if I could offer one more bit of advice, please just consolidate all your threads into one project thread. I think you'd be our first Dane on the forum!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is an answer. Don't bother with new springs on old dampers, and don't bother with unmatched sets of springs and dampers, save your money for a proper set of coilovers.

And if I could offer one more bit of advice, please just consolidate all your threads into one project thread. I think you'd be our first Dane on the forum!
as I mentioned earlier I already have the koni's, bilstein's and springs. They're all brand new; My question is therefore which combo would be preferable prior to moving to coilovers. Your answer will most likely be none.

Good idea about making a project thread. Thanks. First Dane -The project thread title could be The Vikimini - aghhh that sound too Russian. I'll stick with BadBeth...

·
Bugger
25,426 Posts
as I mentioned earlier I already have the koni's, bilstein's and springs. They're all brand new; My question is therefore which combo would be preferable prior to moving to coilovers. Your answer will most likely be none.

Good idea about making a project thread. Thanks. First Dane -The project thread title could be The Vikimini - aghhh that sound too Russian. I'll stick with BadBeth...
Sell them and buy Coilovers and thank us later.

The B4's are the same as OEM so not worth fitting imo. The Eibach springs are from my exp the worst of the aftermarket mini springs. Swift and H&R are a lot better based on some of the cars I've driven. The Koni dampers are ok at best, but having driven a few cars with them (one with Koni springs, one with Eibach, one with M7). I can safely say they aren't the best, the tend to sit low at the rear.

The reason we all espouse the use of Coilovers so much is due to the minis shocking (boom boom) suspension design. Honestly the rear set up is awful. having the height adjustment is the only way to ever make the mini handle correctly. You would be better off with a set of AP or even Tein Coilovers rather than a shock and spring kit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for clearing out matters and your explanation; I have just ordered bilstein b14 = 600 gpb off the savinglist. Can't wait...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dear torquers - I'm having the Bilstein b14 installed this Tuesday - anything special I should pay attention to in regards to the installation?...

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,725 Posts
Bilstein recommend a 5mm spacer at the front if you still have stock rims...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now fitted with b14 it drives good but is way too hard and bumpy - not my style for everyday road driving. Now I'm going to test the Koni special active sport with KYB standard height springs. The length of the spring unsprung is 260mm both front & rear - Can I expect a somehow even height / distance to the arch front & rear?

Does anybody know the unsprung length of the original fitted standard springs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sort of going through the same process as you. Information from various sources suggests that if you want to lower the car use coilovers. If you want to retain standard ride height and use standard springs then the Koni Special Active dampers work well.
In answer to your latest question the standard spring free length seems to vary between 220 & 260 at the front and 250 & 260 at the rear. The height that the car will sit at depends on the spring rate (stiffness) as well as the free length so you need to consider the wire diameter, number of coils, coil diameter & coil spacing (for progressive springs) if you are making comparisons

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found the bilstein b14 way to hard for my everyday driving and am considering the st xa instead: ST XA Gevindundervogn Mini R50

Does anybody have experience with these on a cooper r50?

How can I expect the ride to be; Hard, harsh, soft, nice.

I am ONLY doing everyday driving in a major city and will never go on track with the car.

Any sharing of experience and feedback is appreciated...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts