MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an 07 R56 One with the 1.4l petrol engine. The car's engine is on its last legs and my plan was once the car is paid off in a couple of months time was to make it a project car due to me not wanting to get rid of the car because I used money my grandad left me as a deposit for the finance so it has sentimental value to me and I would also like to get into track days and make it into a wee track car. I would be getting another car as my daily but was wondering if I let's say bought a cheap cooper s engine or an abarth 500 engine would you be able to swap either of these in place of what's currently in the car? Selling isn't an option to me due to the reason I've stated above and I do understand that it would probably be cheaper to just get a cooper s but I'm not bothered about paying a little bit more to be able to keep a car that means a lot to me and that I love. I've been learning about cars since a passed my test back in 2018 so I think this would also be a great way for me to be able to learn more about how cars work.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Most of us are into cars with our hearts and not heads so GO for it.
You can put pretty much any engine you want in anything but its all about budget.
Life would be a bit easier with another Mini engine though. Buy something cheap with a bad body or accident damage for the engine, fuel system, gearbox, subframe, electrics and ecu etc.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
You'd be "better off" buying a crashed Cooper S, as you'll need more than just the engine.

If you're not handy with the spanners or willing to learn, you might be even better still handing your car and your credit card over to Millsy....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'd be "better off" buying a crashed Cooper S, as you'll need more than just the engine.

If you're not handy with the spanners or willing to learn, you might be even better still handing your car and your credit card over to Millsy....
Hahaha don't worry I'm quite handy with a set of spanners and the whole point in the project is to learn so I think I check that box. Thanks for getting back to me guys

·
Bugger
25,316 Posts
Ideally you would want a crashed Cooper S and swap it over / make sure the engine runs 1st. Its an easy swap on the Gen1 minis but the wiring on Gen2 is a touch more complex with the turbos etc. But a Cat C cooper s would be a good donor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ideally you would want a crashed Cooper S and swap it over / make sure the engine runs 1st. Its an easy swap on the Gen1 minis but the wiring on Gen2 is a touch more complex with the turbos etc. But a Cat C cooper s would be a good donor.
Sometimes I wish the car was a gen 1 so it was simpler hahaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts