MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am planning on upgrading the front brakes on my R53 as I need new discs anyway so why not. R56 brakes seem like the most cost-effective option. My question is about the size of the brakes, my car is currently sitting on the R90 split wheels (17 inch iirc).

Will these wheels clear the R56 brakes?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2005 R53
130 Posts
I think all the 17s clear the R56/R56S brakes.

Make sure you get the R56S hangers if you're after the 294mm discs, I think the standard R56 brakes are 280mm (calipers are the same, just the hangers are different).

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
829 Posts
As Mysticarl says make sure you get the right carriers as they are different One/Cooper to S.

You can I gather if you fancy going skinflint run the R56 calipers on the R56 One/Cooper carriers and retain the stock R50/53 276mm discs. The piston increase alone I gather really improves braking performance over the stock brakes, but if youre going to the efforts you might just as well go the whole hog 👍

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes, you need the R56 Cooper S carriers for the reasons mentioned above.

i bought my R56 calipers, carriers and brake lines new from Mod A Mini.

Part numbers from TRW (can be useful for a secondhand search):

1. Caliper N/S/F TRW BHW907
  2. Caliper O/S/F TRW BHW908
  3. Carrier N/S/F TRW BDA947
  4. Carrier O/S/F TRW BDA946

·
Registered
2005 R53
130 Posts
One further point on the carriers, the left and right sides are identical in their metalwork, it's only the slider pin positions that are different. One of them has a bush on it which needs to go either at the top or bottom location (I can't remember offhand), so if you get 2 carriers the same 'side' you can just swap the slider pins around on the side you don't have the correct part number for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice all, would someone mind checking if I have priced the correct parts below. I am not too keen on going second hand. From the links below, I think I am just missing the brake hoses and fluid, would someone recommend some?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Can't be sure from that but it looks like you have the single piston calipers/carriers & 4 piston pads & discs.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
If the pictures are correct then pads are not for the 4 pots, they would have no lobes on the sides and two eyelets on the top for the securing pins.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question - looking at discs and pads on ECP. Got 2 types either with or without sport pack. The only difference I can see with the 'sport pack' discs is that they are vented/perforated as opposed to just vented. All measurements are the same.

With the pads we have the same sport pack and non-sport pack but they differ a few mm in terms of height, length and thickness - can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
sport pack r56 probably refers to the 316/280 discs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts