Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
QUAIFE CLOSE RATIO DOG GEARSET AND LSD FOR R53 or R56 Mini Cooper S

The gearset and LSD are currently built into a Ford Focus Mk1 ST170 Getrag gearbox. This is built with QUAIFE 6-speed, dog-engagement, semi-helical, close-ratio gearset QKE34Z AND QUAIFE ATB limited-slip differential QDF38Z. The gearset could also be rebuilt into the similar Getrag 285 gearcase of the Mini Cooper S R53 and R56 gearbox.

Please note that this dogbox is not suitable for your daily driver, the size of the crownwheel means the standard Hall sensor for the ST170 speedometer is disabled and you will get engine warning light. However, I believe the Cooper S uses a differently-located sensor. And it does allow clutchless upshifting!

The Quaife gearset has the ‘Rally’ ratios of 3.846, 2.737, 2.148, 1.729, 1.367, 1.000, and final drive ratio of 3.409. It retails from Demon Tweeks for more than £3,600. Details here:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors…ratio-gear-kit

The Quaife ATB LSD currently retails from Demon Tweeks for £690. Details here:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors…d-differential

The complete box, including selector cables adapted to use rod-ends for sale at £1,250 delivered to a UK mainland address. Can be inspected beforehand in central Edinburgh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know what? You're dead right - thanks.

Quaife list them separately, but with identical part numbers. So I guess they are the same after all, and I shall edit the ad accordingly.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Quaife told me in June they don't market these now, due to the very high wear rates. Despite this I'd also be interested if at a price reflecting the potential need to renew the dog rings, as I have another box to use. (I already have a similar f/d gear set in my R53).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.