MiniTorque.com banner

541 - 560 of 592 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Still not got any decent pics but a mate who isn't far away had a brand new slave cylinder, so managed to get that on and bled on Sunday. Everything else went back together and been driving to work this week, no issues with the engine at all.

Put quite a few miles on it over the past few days so changed the oil for some proper stuff tonight, no leaks anywhere and nothing unusual in the running in oil so all good so far. Managed to get some Gulf Formula GX 5w40 from Euros for less than £1 a litre, so got 40 litres Would normally go for 5w30 but when the sump guard goes on it's probably going to get warmer.

Loving the new flywheel and clutch, doesn't feel lazy anymore and it's surprisingly easy around town. The LSD feels great too, not quite a Quaife but well worth £100, should've got an 05-06 in the first place.

Still loads to do but pretty much fell in love with it again, way more fun than a VW.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
Might grab some of this to flush he engine when I get it back together, I can’t decide what lad to get, don’t know if I have a stock one in the car atm though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #542
Might grab some of this to flush he engine when I get it back together, I can’t decide what lad to get, don’t know if I have a stock one in the car atm though

Even the OEM LSD is a decent upgrade if you can find one cheap. With mine jacked up now if I spin one wheel, the other doesn't move. With the open diff before the other wheel would spin the opposite way.

Got the Orranje guard on, fits nicely and the bumper is actually held on now. Does sit quite low too, so it's had a few hits already but that's what it's there for. Gave the engine bay a clean but it's just highlighted a few things that still need tidying up, looks good from a distance though.

1400 miles since the rebuild and everything is fine

Thought I'd treat myself to a new plate for Christmas, a slightly smaller (legal) one, looks a bit cleaner.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
how is it you're checking your diff? To see if there is an LSD either look at the label on the box just above the left inner CV joint and see if it has BKD, BKE, BKL etc. BKL is LSD. If you want to test it is there or working at all, jack one front side, put it in gear, try to turn the raised wheel, I can't remember the torque value I'd read somewhere to use to test it's 25% locking, I think it was 30 or 40lbs ft or something, you'd have to look it up, it was an informal function check I saw somewhere but seemed a reasonable thing to look at, torque wrench on hub nut and find the number, but there was something about the length of the wrench handle or something, very vague I know but maybe a novel thing to test? ;O)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
I'd only noticed it was different to the open diff when spinning a wheel, which I assumed would happen anyway, I've got the BKE code on the box still but I definitely know I have the LSD. I did fit it a couple of months ago after all That's quite a novel way of testing it, pretty useful if you need to know if it's working properly or not I guess?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #545
MOT passed again recently, no advisories, and of course the annual struggle of the brake rollers

Oil pressure and boost gauge moved to the centre console in this neat holder. And a more comfortable gear knob with M12X1.25 adapter.

Cat went back in for the MOT and I'm not sure I'll take it out again, I can hear the charger whine with the pollen filter cover on now so it's much more comfortable all round. And should make a bit more power and torque. Or maybe I'm just growing up

·
Registered
230 Posts
MOT passed again recently, no advisories, and of course the annual struggle of the brake rollers

Oil pressure and boost gauge moved to the centre console in this neat holder. And a more comfortable gear knob with M12X1.25 adapter.

Cat went back in for the MOT and I'm not sure I'll take it out again, I can hear the charger whine with the pollen filter cover on now so it's much more comfortable all round. And should make a bit more power and torque. Or maybe I'm just growing up

Making me excited to put mine back together, can’t wait to have an lsd I went for a quaife one can’t wait to see if they’re worth the hype

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Making me excited to put mine back together, can’t wait to have an lsd I went for a quaife one can’t wait to see if they’re worth the hype
When you realise your torque steer has all but vanished you will, and you’ll also be having fun investigating just how much throttle you can apply in turns no doubt

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #549
It'll be amazing no doubt, how's the build going?

·
Registered
230 Posts
It'll be amazing no doubt, how's the build going?

Just got some last bits off the donor car today in the storm, got the gear box linkage out and the ecu, key barrel now, just need to finish the last bits up now then get it in, I’m excited

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #551
Just got some last bits off the donor car today in the storm, got the gear box linkage out and the ecu, key barrel now, just need to finish the last bits up now then get it in, I’m excited
It'll be great to see it up and running, this is in the R50 shell right?

·
Registered
230 Posts
It'll be great to see it up and running, this is in the R50 shell right?

Yeah, it’s in the garage getting the electrics done since I have no idea how to do the harness, should hopefully up and running all okay next week

·
Registered
185 Posts
Even the OEM LSD is a decent upgrade if you can find one cheap. With mine jacked up now if I spin one wheel, the other doesn't move. With the open diff before the other wheel would spin the opposite way.

Got the Orranje guard on, fits nicely and the bumper is actually held on now. Does sit quite low too, so it's had a few hits already but that's what it's there for. Gave the engine bay a clean but it's just highlighted a few things that still need tidying up, looks good from a distance though.

1400 miles since the rebuild and everything is fine

Thought I'd treat myself to a new plate for Christmas, a slightly smaller (legal) one, looks a bit cleaner.

How easy was the Orranje sump guard to fit mate?? I’ve been contemplating buying one. Cheers

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #554
How easy was the Orranje sump guard to fit mate?? I’ve been contemplating buying one. Cheers
Just bolts straight on, very easy. I didn't have any bolts with it as it was secondhand but new ones come with a fitting kit I believe, the holes in the subframe are already there

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #556
Been a while since the last update, haven't done as much as I've wanted to because I spent last month with my hand in a cast

Bought a complete (minus 1 arm) R56 rear end, want to get the subframe and trailing arms powdercoated but by the time I had 2 hands the lockdown came. So it's still in one piece, something for later this year I think. Also has the aero floor panel fixings which is perfect.

Got a tidy secondhand Whiteline ARB delivered as well, would be a shame to put a new subframe on with the stock bar.

Made the switch to pre-fl rear lights with the rare clear indicators, had to joey mod them first of course. I wasn't sure when I bought them if it would look right but now I'm sold, by far the best rear lights for the R53. Fogs and reverse wired correctly too.

Treated the car to a well overdue clay, polish and wax, and swapped back to the 949s ready for summer, when we're allowed out anyway.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #557
Found that I've not had any fan for a while, wires came off the resistor with corrosion. Not that it's overheated fortunately. And another belt required, going to see if a Conti works better than the Gates I've been using. Something to keep me busy anyway.

541 - 560 of 592 Posts