Premium Member
4,313 Posts
not exactly quick release are they haha

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
What you doing with the old engine?
It'll be for sale if you want it? Just comes with the clutch and flywheel. Needs some tidying up but it's always ran quietly.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
634 Posts
It's all out and split, I don't recommend doing it on your own. Interesting bolt setup for the gearbox and starter

Who the fuck put the starter on with those washers?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #525
Who the fuck put the starter on with those washers?!

I guess SWSS Mini, where the clutch and main seal was done a couple of days before I bought it. One of the other bolts was missing too. Pretty glad I didn't take it back for them to have another go

·
That's you, that is.
273 Posts
I guess SWSS Mini, where the clutch and main seal was done a couple of days before I bought it. One of the other bolts was missing too. Pretty glad I didn't take it back for them to have another go

Never ceases to amaze me how shoddy a job some “professional” mechanics will do when they think they can get away with it!

·
Registered
634 Posts

Shoddy. Don’t even understand the need to do that.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
Never ceases to amaze me how shoddy a job some “professional” mechanics will do when they think they can get away with it!
It lets the rest of us good quality mechanics down. Fortunately nothing actually fell off or came apart.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #530
That's the engine pretty much sorted out, got the flywheel and clutch to do and fit an OEM LSD that I picked up recently.

New oil for the charger while it's off, although there was plenty in there, no wear on the gears or bearings either. I'm going to clean up the intake and intercooler horns, then paint them with VHT wrinkle black as I love the look. And probably change the colour of the engine mount, not a fan of the silver, sorry Mike

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That's the engine pretty much sorted out, got the flywheel and clutch to do and fit an OEM LSD that I picked up recently.

New oil for the charger while it's off, although there was plenty in there, no wear on the gears or bearings either. I'm going to clean up the intake and intercooler horns, then paint them with VHT wrinkle black as I love the look. And probably change the colour of the engine mount, not a fan of the silver, sorry Mike

Looking clean, mines in a similar state.
Nice work

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Haha yeah I do them black now too, look much better.
With all the time and effort youve put in, would it not be better to put a non oe diff in, quaife, gripper etc?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #534
Haha yeah I do them black now too, look much better.
With all the time and effort youve put in, would it not be better to put a non oe diff in, quaife, gripper etc?
I'd love one, they're just so expensive. If there was a decent seocndhand one I'd have probably had it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #535
Hope these Orranje guards are strong, this one will get some abuse. Looks like a good bit of kit anyway, and will help with aero to an extent.

·
That's you, that is.
273 Posts

What did you use to re-seal the gear case when you were done?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #537
I used loctite 518 that I had left over, RTV silicone seems to be popular to use.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
What was the state of the engine in the end?

Should know more soon. It's been forever already but it's three hours away with the engine out and my guy has major health issues suddenly.... Almost no communication.
I will update my build thread once I hear.
Ton of parts waiting for him when he is ready

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #539
Engine is in finally, first start this evening, everything fine. No leaks, nice and quiet and plenty of oil pressure, I've got a Prosport gauge to match the others. Clutch pedal has been soft since the slave has been off, tried to bleed it but the fluid is coming out through the dust cover so it's had it. Proper annoying after a day of getting eveythinf else sorted. And it's probably my fault for leaving it out uncompressed or something.

Anyway I'll get some more pics in daylight and a full spec list up soon.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #540
Still not got any decent pics but a mate who isn't far away had a brand new slave cylinder, so managed to get that on and bled on Sunday. Everything else went back together and been driving to work this week, no issues with the engine at all.

Put quite a few miles on it over the past few days so changed the oil for some proper stuff tonight, no leaks anywhere and nothing unusual in the running in oil so all good so far. Managed to get some Gulf Formula GX 5w40 from Euros for less than £1 a litre, so got 40 litres Would normally go for 5w30 but when the sump guard goes on it's probably going to get warmer.

Loving the new flywheel and clutch, doesn't feel lazy anymore and it's surprisingly easy around town. The LSD feels great too, not quite a Quaife but well worth £100, should've got an 05-06 in the first place.

Still loads to do but pretty much fell in love with it again, way more fun than a VW.

521 - 540 of 555 Posts