MiniTorque.com banner

501 - 520 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rear main seal, valve stem seals and the lifters need a clean. Can't wait to get the new engine in now

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
Looks like the scenes at mine, I wanted to try find an engine lift think I’m going to spray mine while it’s out

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
Looks like the scenes at mine, I wanted to try find an engine lift think I’m going to spray mine while it’s out
It was easier for me to get another engine to prepare rather than have the car off the road for ages. Engine cranes aren't too expensive, you don't need one for removal anyway but I'd imagine it's not easy getting it back in without one. A stand is really handy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It was easier for me to get another engine to prepare rather than have the car off the road for ages. Engine cranes aren't too expensive, you don't need one for removal anyway but I'd imagine it's not easy getting it back in without one. A stand is really handy.

I got another one too, well I got a whole other car as a donor as I have an r50 shell, pricing up the new and refresh parts is starting to get expensive though

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
using a crane would be interesting on a stone driveway haha

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #506
I got another one too, well I got a whole other car as a donor as I have an r50 shell, pricing up the new and refresh parts is starting to get expensive though
Yeah it soon adds up. But if you do it all yourself you'll save loads.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah it soon adds up. But if you do it all yourself you'll save loads.

Yeah just looking into that stuff to order, was going to order the victor reinz bundle but some people are moaning on a fb group I just looked at about some of the seals in it so guess I’ll do more research first

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
I don't like aftermarket seals, VR head gasket ok, sometimes customer preference but left to my own devices most is OEM

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #510
With mine almost all the oil seals are OEM, I know some people have issues with the rear main seal but I wonder if most of the time it's because the old seal has worn a groove into the crank, and a new seal doesn't fit tightly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't like aftermarket seals, VR head gasket ok, sometimes customer preference but left to my own devices most is OEM
Ah thankyou, was only looking at that brand as someone said they were oem equivalents, which parts would you recommend going oem on? I’m doing a full engine refresh so all gaskets and seals, if full oem what’s the best place to get oem parts from :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
With mine almost all the oil seals are OEM, I know some people have issues with the rear main seal but I wonder if most of the time it's because the old seal has worn a groove into the crank, and a new seal doesn't fit tightly.

Yeah I was reading about this, one guy said no matter what seal he was using was leaking so I dunno if that’s the part or the fitters fault.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ah thankyou, was only looking at that brand as someone said they were oem equivalents, which parts would you recommend going oem on? I’m doing a full engine refresh so all gaskets and seals, if full oem what’s the best place to get oem parts from :)

I always go OEM for rear main seal. Personally all the other gaskets I’ve used on my engine have been VR and never had a problem.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I always go OEM for rear main seal. Personally all the other gaskets I’ve used on my engine have been VR and never had a problem.

Thankyou, might just order the bundle they do and get the oem seal and if anything breaks I take it apart again

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
some seals are different quality, genuine rocker cover gaskets I can re-use several times, like 5 or 6 yet a factor version can be split along the ribs or the ribs hard and tilted affecting the seal on the second or third go, Reinz green seal feels thinner and is a slightly different fit or feels it is, as does the crank sensor seal or water pump seal but it doesn't mean they don't work for people, I may well be wrong but some do feel different either to handle or assemble, I just don't see the point in trying to save a few quid in the scheme of things when the engine is apart but like I say I'll use stuff if someone asks for it, no big deal. I have VR head gaskets here and sump currently but otherwise all genuine stuff.

for genuine I can't say the best place, all dealers have the same prices, some are awkward and if things come in ten's they expect you to buy ten, I can pass on 5% discount on any parts but postage negates it I guess, more on service parts, an easy 10% excluding Value Line as they don't like discounting it but I can still usually give 5%. I keep pretty much a full engine set all the time, including rod bolts and rocker cover bolts, and King Bearings, oil pump gears, full chain set etc. I don't have a cam bolt but recommend ARP and can supply them, and can probably supply VR less than some.

any BMW/Mini part I can supply discounted currently but special order stuff and trim, any electrical parts all has to be pre paid, anything under £15 has to be pre paid etc, they won't take it back and I won't want to own stuff other than what I keep so only ask for what you're prepared to own, most accept that's the way it is.

I suppose post is fine for most if they're thinking they don't have to go anywhere, saving time and fuel I guess.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #517
It's all out and split, I don't recommend doing it on your own. Interesting bolt setup for the gearbox and starter

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #519
Cheers mate now to tidy the garage and make sure the new engine is ready to go in.

501 - 520 of 555 Posts