MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
How the fuel filter was never a service item on these things is beyond me 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Little update, just put on the new (to me) wheels and taken it for a quick run. Wow, what a difference in ride quality and handling!

7j Et30 is a nice fit, car looks so much more purposeful now.

Toyo R888r are definitely not civilised for road use, very noisy but lots of fun when warm.
I鈥檓 changing them for some more road bias tyres, not sure what to go for as not a huge amount of choice in 205/50 16, would have liked some Michelin PS4-s but they鈥檙e not available. Any recommendations? Looking at Avon zv7, I had zv5 on a previous car and they were decent in all conditions. Toyo have released a new tyre the TR1 not to be mistaken with the old t1r that have been around for years.. tempted to try a set.

Please ignore the car, it鈥檚 filthy and will be dealt with ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Looks great.
I dont think some people realise just much better the ride and handling is on lighter wheel and tyre combos.

Registered
Looking good.

I've been using Federal 595RSRs for summer, they're quite comfortable to use day to day compared to more track focused stuff but still have plenty of grip. Something like a Pilot Sport would be good for year round use but the choice in 16s isn't great.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks guys. I鈥檓 seriously impressed how much better it feels, I had 16s on my last r53 but they still had run flats fitted but even so was shocked how badly this one jumped about the road and the way crashed over every bump sending shudders through the cabin on 17s.

I鈥檓 thinking more normal road bias summer tyres on these, taking it back to the Nurburgring and the weather is mixed across a lap sometimes so would prefer something that can handle some rain etc, I know how sloppy it can get after being involved in a shunt as a passenger last year. I plan on getting a set of hairpins or something to put the r888 on for track days, which would see some federal rsr or similar when these wear out.

Premium Member
I used the 595RS-R's for years all year round, for the money, the dry grip performance even in colder months was more than impressive, and on track again for the money they perform extremely well really, predictable tyre that can be heavily leant on, I only came off them to use AD08R's for something slightly better in the wet on track and general road although I missed the 595's immediately, the AD08R on the road just isn't quite the same really in the dry, and for track I'll just take AR1's in the boot to fit there, but think I may just go back to Feds for the dry option just in 225/45r17 at half the cost with really most of the performance, instead of 215/45 I've always used to date.

It's such a long time since I drove with conventional rubber that I'd actually quite like to try it haha, especially in these bigger sizes, although it's unlikely.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for the suggestions, I鈥檝e never been much of a fan of Continental tyres really.. what sort of mileage do you see out of a set of federal rs-r? I worry about excessive wear on long trips and don鈥檛 really fancy carrying a second set of wheels to the Nurburgring lol.

Small update, I saw a post on here by cars of bikes (thanks) regarding slop in the gearstick when in gear. I was able to move the stick around 30mm while in gear. Air box out and checked the little cube bush on the selector..

Around 2mm had worn so whipped it off and spun 45 degrees.. it hasn鈥檛 completely fixed it but it is much better. I found some play in the shift cables but I can live with it for now.

Taken it out for a spin again this afternoon, I know I keep going on about it, but I鈥檓 blown away with the difference the wheels and tyres have made to the car. If your on the fence about lighter wheels and non run flats just do it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts