MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I had an r53 which I had to sell quickly to help fund the purchase of my first house, I loved the thing but replaced with a mk1 mx5 that I bought for cheap (still have, but more on that later). Since then I’ve had a want for another.. I did have a JCW coupe a couple of years later, great fun but not quite the same. So browsing the usual sites I found and bought this in August 2018.. apologies I can only find this pic.

It’s a November 2005 build, BEP cooper S. completely stock barring a tasty unknown exhaust that previous owner said cost £600 from eBay Germany. It’s slightly unloved, 98k miles at time of purchase. I’d always quite liked the purple, this turned up 15 miles from my house for cheap, I couldn’t resist.

The car is pretty basic, has the standard half leather interior, 17 inch bullets, chilli pack and pretty much the only option I was interested in the LSD. Oh and the original owner had the entire car colour coded- it’s peeling and makes the car look knackered, it has to go.

The plan always was to tidy it up, Chuck a pulley on and enjoy it for a year and move on, except I ended up pulling subframe, replacing control arm bushes with powerflex and all ball joints, anti roll bar bushes and links, front brakes and a wheel bearing. Did the belt tensioner, crank pulley and belt too.

Then a couple of weeks later got invited to the Nurburgring so the mini was readied. It needed a clutch ideally, release bearing was grumbly and clutch pedal felt crap plus I’m sure the flywheel was chattering a bit. So this happened..

We were due to go early may bank holiday to the ring, I decided to leave it until the week before to do the clutch! I found quite a few oil leaks..

Definitely needed that clutch!

I fitted a Valeo solid flywheel kit..

A nice bit of kit actually, zero excessive vibration and apart from the bite being quite high it has a nice light pedal.

Some other potential break downs such as rad hoses wearing through/ perished were needed also, meaning it was right down to the wire. Whilst sorting some leaks out I managed to overlook the oil pressure sensor being tapered and overtightened it, resulting in a cracked housing. Local breakers saved the day and was sorted next day, had the car finished with 36 hours to go before driving to the ring, parked up and cleaned and noticed brake fluid all over the floor, slave cylinder had failed. Euro car parts saved the day and I was able to fit and bleed (what a bastard) and cover 20 miles to make sure it was ok before setting off!

The mini performed perfectly! Covered the entire journey to, from and around nurburg, driven fairly hard and did a couple of laps without a complaint.

Since then, it’s pretty much not seen any love and I’ve hardly used it.

The mx5 above mentioned earlier is taking up my garage space and has to go to make way for the mini.

My intentions are in no particular order and when I can afford bits;

Lower it on something decent.

Better seats, corbeau club sports or similar, stock ones to Germany and back are not something I want to experience again)

Rear seat delete.

Get rid of cc’d plastics (have most of them now)
17% Pulley, intercooler, plugs etc.

Different exhaust manifold, flexi is knackered on mine so might as well upgrade and relocate cat further down.

Tidy up inside, change dash trims and door card colour.

Black headlining.

JCW grilles

Some lighter wheels and non run flats.

R56s front brakes.

I’m not that bothered about outright power, my other car does that bit for me but i don’t think you can beat the driver involvement of an r53 this side of 3k, this is the bit I want the car to do. I plan on using it as a road car so nothing too mental but want it to be competent on track. I quickly found the limits of stock brakes at the ring so they are a must before any more track time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Good effort, and what a pain in the tit doing all that so close to track time. Know how stressful that is.

I've got a nice R56 brake setup for sale when you're interested ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good effort, and what a pain in the tit doing all that so close to track time. Know how stressful that is.

I've got a nice R56 brake setup for sale when you're interested ;)
Yeah it did get a bit tense, I couldn’t relax until we got there either with not having much chance to check the car was ok. I’d be interested in the brakes, I’ll pm you when I’m looking to get something sorted and see if you still have them. Cheers.

So some (small) progress today, fitted some of the plastic arches I had, realised some of the corners were for a cooper which sucks a bit but they came as a job lot so can’t complain too much. Some more clips on order to finish rear arches so I just need the front bumper trims and the two rear corner pieces.
Little before, during and after..

I think it’s looking much better already even unfinished.

Have a couple of little bits and pieces on order, not sure how much/little to document on here really.

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
Nice colour, they still look smart with tidy plastics.

I'd be inclined to keep the stock IC, and maybe run a mild performance cam, or fast road if you can get it custom mapped to get the best from it, mild don't need it where a pulley does. Just to avoid the additional intake heat and keep one of the fastest recovering and lightest IC's perhaps and still get the power delivered nicely.

13 years since I've been to the ring now, would be nice to take mine there, always had it in mind when changing stuff.

A few have expressed concern over Corbeau Clubsports, I think flexing?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice colour, they still look smart with tidy plastics.

I'd be inclined to keep the stock IC, and maybe run a mild performance cam, or fast road if you can get it custom mapped to get the best from it, mild don't need it where a pulley does. Just to avoid the additional intake heat and keep one of the fastest recovering and lightest IC's perhaps and still get the power delivered nicely.

13 years since I've been to the ring now, would be nice to take mine there, always had it in mind when changing stuff.

A few have expressed concern over Corbeau Clubsports, I think flexing?
To be fair the plastics I’ve put on aren’t 100% and I’ll end up changing some of them again. But, they are a massive improvement on what was there before. The car in general needs a tidy up, I have some bubbling under the rear lights and plenty of stone chips and car park dents, I’ll just keep working through stuff to tidy it up for now.

Re the cam, power will be the last thing I do I think, but it’s not something I had really considered so I will look at that. I was thinking a quick power increase and I need to service the charger anyway so makes sense to fit a pulley while I’ve got the charger on the bench..

I had not seen anything about flexing but I think best avoided if that’s the case. I am considering all options really, even some recaro out of an evo or something? I just want more support and comfort and something that looks decent. As it stands i hate driving it for more than an hour now because of the seats.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Small update really, but I’ve fitted the rest of the stock plastics, a rear wiper delete and a proper mirror glass because the last owner was a cheap ass and stuck one over the broken one..

Much better.

So moving on, I think this car is going to the Nurburgring again this year with what’s going on, I had planned on taking my 1 series but not taking it on and having taxi laps/sharing laps with other people we are going with etc but social distancing is putting a stop to all of that. We were meant to be going today, but have looked at going until end of July instead. With this in mind I need to get a few things done on the car..

Brakes- they are shit! R56 brakes coming.
Seats- looking at some bimarco buckets, they seem well liked on various forums and are good value

I’m wondering how you all go about side mounted seats and retaining runners? Is this a no go meaning I should look only at bottom mount?

Also looking at some AP coil overs. HSD coilovers are similar money but offer damper adjustment, anyone tried a set?

Also a budget for 16 inch wheel setup with some chunky tyres.. possibly hairpins.

Power can wait, Although I might put a pulley on while I have the charger off to service it and check over..

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Good call taking the Mini.... I dont know how you can go and not do laps yourself. We are due to go again in August, hoping that the borders are all open and TF is still happening then

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Coming on nice. Not sure on the black wheels with that colour :confused: Those seats, how much are they? Obviously I could be wrong but looking at them I would say they won't be particularly comfy, especially over a long trip. Might be worth looking at something else. The new Sparco range looks tasty with plenty of additional bolsters/support.

Would be tempted to part with my bronze/gold turinis once I get the TD's sorted out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good call taking the Mini.... I dont know how you can go and not do laps yourself. We are due to go again in August, hoping that the borders are all open and TF is still happening then
I enjoyed the laps I did last year but most of the fun was in the group we went in, jumping in and out of cars etc. Having ended up in a crash last time I went as a passenger I realised how easy it is to get it wrong and decided taking my main car around wasn’t worth it. But I wanted to take it for the journey there and back, and to see the limiter on the autobahn so thought I’d give it a go this year.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coming on nice. Not sure on the black wheels with that colour :confused: Those seats, how much are they? Obviously I could be wrong but looking at them I would say they won't be particularly comfy, especially over a long trip. Might be worth looking at something else. The new Sparco range looks tasty with plenty of additional bolsters/support.

Would be tempted to part with my bronze/gold turinis once I get the TD's sorted out.
Yeah, black wheels have to go, I’ve never liked them.
The seats are around £180 each, they seem to get some praise on comfort, I think they seem pretty decent value and an alternative to the corbeau club sport had in mind.
I’m still unsure on side mount or bottom mount seats, I want to retain runners at least on drivers seat to allow different drivers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How was the quality of them? They seem pretty decent value. Im fairly broad (and very slightly chubby at the moment Lol) so need a wider seat so the ones I’m looking at are 40cm wide inside. They have to be better than the stock seats, they are like sitting on an office chair.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I’ve ordered a supercharger service kit as I’ve not touched it yet and have a worry about the gears on the waterpump end. Whilst I’m at it I’m going to go through a couple of bits and change thermostat, water pump etc

Couple of questions..

Do we recommend to change the thermostat housing too or can I just fit the thermostat on it’s own?

I have not ordered a water pump yet, but do we have a recommendation of brand? I will be doing this when I know of the condition of the supercharger because if it’s done for I’ll be looking at fitting a Davies craig electric water pump as per the sprintex swap and blanking of the PTO..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So a few things have happened, firstly I finally got my finger out and sold the mx5 so I now have my garage back!

Obligatory last picture of it..

I’ve got a few parts bought to be fitted when everything arrives...

R56 ‘s’ calipers with hel hoses (still waiting for the discs and undecided on pads) I’ve just given them a clean up and lick of paint.

15% pulley, plugs, supercharger service kit, water pump and thermostat.

Still waiting for my fuel filter from autodoc to arrive..

Finally, I bought these last weekend

Team dynamics pro race 1.2 16x7 et30, really happy I could find this fitment. They have come with some Toyo R888-R in 195/45/16 with some life left in them so I intend on putting these on some hairpins or similar for track days and some decent road tyres in the correct 205/50/16 on the pro race for the rest of the time.

A quick test fit of one, much prefer the silver.

Ignore the wheel gap, it was still high after jacking.. ok it needs coilovers.

Before that though I’d best get this lot fitted when it all arrives and I desperately need to sort some seats out, thinking about some Recaro from a premier ep3 type r or similar. The car is going to be predominantly a road car so thinking fixed buckets are maybe not the answer unless I can get some to work safely with seatbelts.

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
631 Posts
Liking this mate!

Good call on the supercharger service and water pump replacement.....I'd recommend actually getting the gear and cases off each end and inspecting the internal gears, cleaning it up as well. Reseal with some Loctite 574 (y)

Whilst apart check for play in the rotor pack.....also if the oil level on one or both of the gearboxes is very low when drained do bear in mind this could be down to a shaft bearing issue (I.e. they've failed and the oils being sucked from the gear case into the charger). If it is very low in one or the other I probably would get it sent away for a proper overhaul. Mine was fine fortunately.

Water pump is a must as well, another good call.

15% inference fit a good idea, better than the bolt one's and will give you quite a few more wheel ponies....great bang per buck there.

Thermostat..seeing as it'll be in bits probs best to change the housing as well if going to the effort. Must confess didn't have mine changed when my charger was serviced but was rather a case if it ain't broke......

Brakes are pony on these arent they....I gather new discs and better pads go some way to resolve but they are still only just about acceptable on a car like this...surprised the S didn't get bigger brakes stock. I'm planning to do R56S on the front of mine too once the front discs and pads are shot away, another great value fix.

Look forward to further updates (y)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks I’ll be checking the gearboxes yeah, be silly not to while it’s on the bench.. fingers crossed they are ok.

I’m still undecided on what pads to go for, I’ve got my discs from autodoc now so they’re the last thing I need to get to do the brake upgrade.

I know it’s in another open thread but just to document on here really, I changed the fuel filter on it the other night, was definitely in need!

Yuk.

I need to source a pulley puller ASAP for the stock pulley so I can get on with the charger service, fit the 15% pulley and go through the cooling system.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Great work, particularly taking on all of that so close to track time.

Standard arches suit much better than colour coded, gives a nice contrast. Purple is my 2nd fave colour in these.

For the sake of a few quid I'd advocate changing the thermostat housing if you are changing the stat. I also did the top and bottom rad hoses.Worth checking condition of your other hoses too as you remove them as i managed to catch that the one from the water pump to the rad was rubbing on another hose clip and wasn't far off going all the way through. Replaced and made sure the clamp was in a more suitable orientation.

With regards to water pump I did the supercharger service and other bits recently, I used a circoli one from Euro, can't comment on longevity as I've only done a hundred miles or so since changing everything.

My fuel filter and the surrounding petrol was filthy having done 108k, definitely something I'll do routinely going forwards as it's not too bad a job.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I very nearly didn’t buy the car because of the arches but knew purple was hard to find should I pass on it, looks so much better now with them how they should be.

I actually changed the top rad hose last year before the Nurburgring, it was worn on one side where it had been rubbing after someone had refitted it incorrectly. Others looked in reasonable condition but I’ll be replacing things as I see them.

I have bought a circoli water pump and stat, had one in an old car and covered 30k on it fine, they seem decent quality. I’ll check the housing condition when I’m there, I recall it being reasonably new when I last had the front off.

Looking forward to getting it all fitted now!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts