MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Bugger
25,313 Posts
uk challenge cars were different as the kit was designed by john cooper works (now mini motor sport) the German R53's were built in house by M-Power same as the R56's had bigger brakes and weld in cage as opposed to the uk ones

·
Registered
92 Posts
A small fast question...can someone pm me where to buy(in the right price) a 1371mm belt for my 15% reduced setup?Thank you!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,407 Posts
I've been reading this thread with some interest and thought I'd chip in. To calculate the length of any belt rather than working backwards from a stock setup and known belt length and adjusting according to percentages, which seems a bit hit a s miss. What you need to know is the distance between the centres of all pulleys (including tensioners in their optimum position) and their relevant positions. The diameters of the working surfaces of the pulleys AND more importantly the routing of the belt. Putting it simply, if you need an exact answer every time you need a CAD programme
Edit. Nearly forgot. If the belt runs on its inner and outer surface (against a tensioner for example) you also need to know the thickness of the belt which will vary according to manufacturer. You also need to know if a manufacturer measures its belts on the inner or outer surface. Best of luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My car is running a 17% but the tensioner is about 10mm from twist stop, so in theory could I have a belt which is too long? It was fitted and supplied. By BMW mini dealership???.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I've been reading this thread with some interest and thought I'd chip in. To calculate the length of any belt rather than working backwards from a stock setup and known belt length and adjusting according to percentages, which seems a bit hit a s miss. What you need to know is the distance between the centres of all pulleys (including tensioners in their optimum position) and their relevant positions. The diameters of the working surfaces of the pulleys AND more importantly the routing of the belt. Putting it simply, if you need an exact answer every time you need a CAD programme
Edit. Nearly forgot. If the belt runs on its inner and outer surface (against a tensioner for example) you also need to know the thickness of the belt which will vary according to manufacturer. You also need to know if a manufacturer measures its belts on the inner or outer surface. Best of luck!
I think you're right, Astroboy. I tried to find a "close enough" value that could be used as a general guide, but I do realize there is room for error, and each case is a case.
spunky, I think you must try it to see how it relates with the tensioner hole, but I would have a shorter belt at hand, just to be sure I would have the perfect fit.
Jonny, can you take a picture and put it in here? But if I understand your post correctly, your belt is a little on the loose side.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I can't see any size markings on my current belt so can anyone confirm what I need for 15% and +2 crank please?

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
Does anyone know the belt size for a 17% pulley with a +2% crank pulley and a +5% alternator pulley? 6PK 1353 seems to be the closest one from the info provided, is this correct?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ok question..
I'm running 17% & 2% pulleys with altas adjustable belt tensioner..
I was running a 1375 belt but I had huge rattles when the boost got close to 1bar.
So I tried today 1369 belt and it got even worse, it rattles at 0,5 bar..
Emailed alta and they said I should ran a 1385 belt..

Any thoughts on this pls?

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI.. Does anyone know the belt size for a ALTA 17% pulley with a ALTA+2% crank pulley, 6PK1353? 6PK1370? OR another SIZE?

·
Fffuuuuuuu!
8,606 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just to add my 2p to this..

I fitted a 17% pulley but everything else on the motor is stock.

I originally fitted a 1360 belt. It was an easy fit and prob would have worked but I was not happy with the amount left on the tensioner as it certainly was not a full hole showing.

I sourced a 1353 locally and fitted that. It was a little tight slipping it over the idler puller but I now have a clear hole showing on my tensioner so much happier with that length.

HTH.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts