MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just read through this and the 2 charts, still confused. Lohen sent me what appears to be the 15% belt for my 17% (realised this as its slipped off and i got stranded!!!!)

So rather than fucking about and waiting for them to send me stuff, i was going to go to motorfactors but need to know exactly what im asking for?

James, I must stress this part was not incorrectly supplied by us as the post makes it seem.

As you're aware, I spotted this on the forum yesterday. I apologise for any issues you've had with this belt, although must point out this is always the size of belt we supply with 17% pulleys. We both ship and fit in-house with much success. I know of only one person who orders a 19% belt to suit his 17% pulley, but must stress this is the exception and the 6PK1360 is the rule.

Sometimes cars vary slightly. I know of another forum member here whose wife could not fit an OMP strut brace as it rubbed the back of the HT Leads. The OMP brace should fit all cars, and fits just fine with the vast majority, but hers was the exception. These things do happen occasionally.

I wonder, under the circumstances, if you have an issue with your tensioner assembly that means you require something very slightly shorter? Sadly it doesn't solve your problem in the short term, so I hope your new belt does the trick. Of course, you know we were happy to help as much as possible (as communicated via PM and telephone) but were restricted by the timescale and UPS cost involved.

I apologise for hijacking this thread but feel it only appropriate to set the record straight as this public post paints a wrong picture.

Thank you,
Emma

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
James, I must stress this part was not incorrectly supplied by us as the post makes it seem.

As you're aware, I spotted this on the forum yesterday. I apologise for any issues you've had with this belt, although must point out this is always the size of belt we supply with 17% pulleys. We both ship and fit in-house with much success. I know of only one person who orders a 19% belt to suit his 17% pulley, but must stress this is the exception and the 6PK1360 is the rule.

Sometimes cars vary slightly. I know of another forum member here whose wife could not fit an OMP strut brace as it rubbed the back of the HT Leads. The OMP brace should fit all cars, and fits just fine with the vast majority, but hers was the exception. These things do happen occasionally.

I wonder, under the circumstances, if you have an issue with your tensioner assembly that means you require something very slightly shorter? Sadly it doesn't solve your problem in the short term, so I hope your new belt does the trick. Of course, you know we were happy to help as much as possible (as communicated via PM and telephone) but were restricted by the timescale and UPS cost involved.

I apologise for hijacking this thread but feel it only appropriate to set the record straight as this public post paints a wrong picture.

Thank you,
Emma
And thank you for doing that, Emma.

From what I have seen thus far, 15% or 17% pulleys will be fine with 1353mm. The 1360mm MIGHT be a little big, as the belts tend to stretch with time, but, I've also seen cars fine with 17% and 1360mm. Mine, with 18% and 1353mm one has no hole showing, and I haven't done that many miles... from my experience, if I had a 1360mm one, it would be loose.
But, again, this is from my experience and might vary from car to car, as Emma said.

·
Registered
8,647 Posts

Thank you,
Emma
No worries, was going to re rectify post.

Emma is infact right, post was written just after i was home and hadn't spoken to anyone at Lohen. My mistook for doing that!

Managed to get a 1355 belt which was super snug to fit (little bit of cursing) but its on and ready to go, was just worried about the tune thats coming up etc and not being able to get it done!

But all is rectified now with the car and my apologies to how my post came across to Lohen, wasn't meant :)

Citro - There wasn't a chance a 1353 belt was ever getting onto my car, so there are definitely variations it would seem.

·
Registered
810 Posts
And thank you for doing that, Emma.

From what I have seen thus far, 15% or 17% pulleys will be fine with 1353mm. The 1360mm MIGHT be a little big, as the belts tend to stretch with time, but, I've also seen cars fine with 17% and 1360mm. Mine, with 18% and 1353mm one has no hole showing, and I haven't done that many miles... from my experience, if I had a 1360mm one, it would be loose.
But, again, this is from my experience and might vary from car to car, as Emma said.
And now for something constructive. For your information, our preferred belt sizes are as follows:

15% Supercharger Pulley - 6PK1368
17% Supercharger Pulley - 6PK1360
19% Supercharger Pulley - 6PK1353
Standard S - 6PK1390 (Standard BMW is 6PK1388)
JCW/GP - 6PK1375

Of course, with muscle power and persuasion, shorter belts can go on. And, as mentioned, we do see some variation depending on the travel of the tensioner assembly. It's not quite an exact science, but this is as close as we can be. We will always help out people if there's an issue.

No worries, was going to re rectify post.

Emma is infact right, post was written just after i was home and hadn't spoken to anyone at Lohen. My mistook for doing that!

Managed to get a 1355 belt which was super snug to fit (little bit of cursing) but its on and ready to go, was just worried about the tune thats coming up etc and not being able to get it done!

But all is rectified now with the car and my apologies to how my post came across to Lohen, wasn't meant :)

Citro - There wasn't a chance a 1353 belt was ever getting onto my car, so there are definitely variations it would seem.
Glad you managed to find something to suit the car. No worries, just wanted to make sure people were getting a full and concise picture of events :)

Thank you,
Emma

·
Registered
13 Posts
Emm.... guys, anyone can help me? what the best belt size should I use for my car with +2% crank pulley and 15% supercharged pulley?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Here's something else to bear in mind that I just noticed whilst stripping my engine oil pump plate off.
The lower idler pulley is screwed into the oil pump plate at the lower right hand side, however just next to this fixing hole there is another hole the same size but it has a counter bored face and should have a flat head torx bolt in it to hold the plate on. However in my car the pulley had been fitted to this hole and the bolt put in the one that should be the pulley hole, getting these two round the wrong way will shift the idler pulley slightly horizontally from where it should be and will alter the running position of the belt, I think this is why my 17% 1360 belt never seemed to have that much tension and why it used to slip a little after a few thousand miles.
I've now fitted the pulley corectly and will be fitting a new gates 1360 belt so I hope to get more tension than before

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have an 18% KMT and a 1353mm one... I can't see the hole and haven't made more than 4000 miles , so that makes me wonder...

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have an 18% KMT and a 1353mm one... I can't see the hole and haven't made more than 4000 miles , so that makes me wonder...
I've just seen this post now... I meant to say 1360mm. I now use the 1353mm one and it seems adequate for the 18% pulley.

·
R53 S-class Challenge
42 Posts
No, JCM cars use a 15% pulley, JCW cars use an 11%
You sure? Same output (210) and engine mods as far as I'm aware but I'm by no means certain. About to get another one so would like to be sure, I'll take the old one with me but if were talking a few mm it maybe hard to tell just lining them up.

·
R53 S-class Challenge
42 Posts
So... after analyzing the data, here we go... unfortunately I'll have to start by telling you guys that the results of the analysis didn't go as I thought they would, mainly due to the lack of offer on belt sizes... but, let's get it started, shall we?

Some relevant Notes:

I could not find any reference to the sizes of Contitech belts (OEM for stock Cooper S and JCW).

I used Gates, Contitech and Goodyear belts.

I assumed the original size of the Cooper S belt is 1380mm, like Fisher wrote. And so, if they present it like 6K1388 and is in fact a 1380mm one, I guesstimated the same length difference with the 6K1374, and assumed it was a 1366mm one. But, as I don't like uncertainties, I only considered as valid options the Goodyear and the Gates belts.

I saw sizes from 1366mm to 1383mm (as optimum belt size) on both ends, i.e. the shortest and longest belts needed for extreme setups.
Citro
Found better info on the contitech site than the aftermarket look up, see:
6PK1374
Product information system - Automotive Aftermarket - Power Transmission Group - ContiTech AG 6PK1374 d:\home\web24\kris07\ftproot\aamproducts.ctapps.de\aam_productinfo.pl
All
Product information system - Automotive Aftermarket - Power Transmission Group - ContiTech AG d:\home\web24\kris07\ftproot\aamproducts.ctapps.de\aam_productinfo.pl

·
R53 S-class Challenge
42 Posts
I might be wrong but I was under the impression the cars were 225hp as they had a 15% pulley and a 4-2-1 manifold.
MLJ you maybe right, I really don't know and short of contacting Tony Franks at mini motorsport for a definitive answer, I'm not sure I'll ever know what the design power was. The supercharger is currently off so I can easily measure the pulley dia.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts