MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day!
New to MT and any Mini forum actually.
I’ve been reading the post here for a few days, straight, and have filled my head with ideas and knowledge that no one else has offered.
On to the project…
I picked up a 2006 Cooper S(dream car) for $500us due to 30psi in cyl 3 and a bit of cosmetics but, all in all a perfect project! It runs and can drive if the rpms are above 5000
I’m starting this post now so it will be documented from day 0, tomorrow being day 1, open heart surgery.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Plant Automotive lighting

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, he’s wrapped up. Ready to start head removal. Need to get the cam pulley lock tool ASAP! I’m curious to see where the #3 cylinder failure is coming from.
Plant Cloud Sky Tent Plant community

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where I live we use what we can to accomplish what we need. This is the second time I’ve used this setup this year.
I ordered a 12’x26’ metal garage.Don’t know when it will be here yet.
Getting fidgety. I see it siting there and want to take it apart but, waiting for the real garage so I’ll have a lot more room to lay out all the parts.
Shopping list:
R56 rear lowers
2nd gen brake kit
Braided lines front and rear
Front mount intercooler
JCW header back exhaust
Cam
Pistons
And the list goes on…

·
Registered
2011 R56 N18 Mini Cooper S - 2012 R56 N16 Mini One
42 Posts
Should really clear my garage/workshop out.
It used to house my Lancia beta volumex spyder when we first moved here 25 years ago.
Now its full of 25 years of " just shove it in the garage till we decide what to do with it". Jammed to the rafters.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like it’s time for a bonfire?

Well, found a couple of vacuum lines disconnected and was getting to dark and cold to track them to their perspective homes. And there were no bolt holding the injector rail down. Can’t wait to see what else is amiss and a missing🤨
Down to the final 2 tools I don’t own. The belt tensioner tool and a se of etorx or inverted torx sockets. Oh, and a trolley jack.
I’ve watch this YouTube video abut ten times on removing the head and it’s so straight forward easy my girlfriend could do it!

Anyone have some stock or better injectors they want to ship to the US?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have looked all over here and the web to find out what the oem 12pt head bolt size is on my r53.
anyone here have an answer ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m thinking it’s a 13mm 12 point socket. Counted the points a few times before I mangled a spanner to see if it fits.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I scoped the cylinders and intake valves thoroughly. They are all pretty clean and no shiners or divots.
Valves have a nice shine at the seats.
Broken rings could be my low compression in cyl#3 issue.
I will get a jack today and have the head off in the morning and look for cracks and scoring in the cylinders.
There were no bolts holding down the injector rail and the cam sprocket was so loose I couldn’t roll the motor over. Makes it easy for removal👍

·
Registered
2011 R56 N18 Mini Cooper S - 2012 R56 N16 Mini One
42 Posts
My Borescope arrives next Monday.
Not that I really know what Im going to do with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at the pistons and their perspective gaps to their cylinders first. The end gaps for all the rings were at 7 o’clock as intake being 6. All gaps “looked” the same and #3 did look like it had an extra gap it 4 o’clock. Might be bad rings…
Add the tiny mirror to the scope and got a really good look at the valves. All looked complete with good seating at both intake and exhaust strokes.
the head comes off tonight or in the morning🙏 For me💯

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see them 300-600us new. I don’t ‘need’ a cam but I am sure I WANT one!
I’m already this far in to the motor so I’m upgrading my way back out of it!
ARP studs in a week

1 - 20 of 25 Posts