MiniTorque.com banner
361 - 380 of 394 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
I assume one side runs hotter and the heat cycles have different effects on the additives resulting in the smell.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·
Got the fucking mini through katsastus (our MOT) today! Only two months since it was put on jack stands. I've gone through some of the things here already, but in short this is what was done:

• wheel well noise insulation
  • raised the Bilstein B14's a few mm to be able to reduce rear camber
  • R56 trailing arms
  • Hardrace lower RCA's
  • Whiteline rARB (finally, been on the to-do list for about 8 years)
  • Whiteline adjustable rear drop links
  • rear brake pads (EBC Redstuff)
  • intake manifold and intake ducts cleaned of casting blobs etc.
  • intake ports cleaned of oily gunk
  • Rooster BPV
  • S/C oil change + RVS treatment stuff
  • S/C pulley swap from -17% to -15%
  • PTFE intake manifold gasket (from Orranje)
  • BMW throttle body (6mm bigger) & S/C intake pipe flange ported to match
  • CPS (to fix the warm start issue)
  • heat exchanger as a precaution
  • gear shifter sliding piece cube thing to cure a wobbly knob
  • front wheel bearings & stud conversion re-install
  • brake fluids (Motul RBF600)
  • PS reservoir cap gasket and new fluids
  • JCW air filter box rear foam gasket (hobo diy from Hardrace packaging material)
  • ITG air filter wash & oil
  • radiator fan slow speed resistor (changed the actual thing)
  • Mishimoto radiator + radiator hoses
  • random collection of hoses, o-rings and clamps
  • all sorts of cleaning up, many moments thinking what's the fucking point, and quite a lot of coffee

·
Administrator
6,038 Posts
I went stock toe, with -1.7 rear and -2.2 front which was all I could get without getting the holesaw on the strut towers

·
Hobo Member
491 Posts
@JKo you have seen my masterpiece when it comes to ruining the struts. I reckon on a 2nd attempt I could do a better job, should I find a slot in my calendar? :LOL:

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,712 Posts
Strut top openings can be massaged, I did mine at DoublePs and they don't look like complete shit.

OK, maybe they do.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,712 Posts
I did just butcher my new lower front lip to reduce scrapage for the driving test (at least that bit mght have helped).

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,748 Posts
I've never been a fan of opening up the strut tops as they are weak enough already. Longer studs on the top mounts is a batter choice imo (so you can drop them down enough to adjust)

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
The SPC allen bolts are 16mm long M8. Need to go buy some of those in hex. As seen in the pic above, the SPC plates have no markings on them to help adjustment, so I have now made a couple of my own... one at "standard" -0.6° and one at JCW spec max -1.0° where it stands now (the shop would not adjust them outside the specs, not going there again...). Without any modification about -1.5° is as far as they will go. SPC says the plates allow up to -2.0°, and seeing where the slots end at, that should still leave the hex bolts accessible.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,748 Posts
Have a look at ARP bolts as they come with smaller 12 point heads

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,712 Posts
I've never been a fan of opening up the strut tops as they are weak enough already. Longer studs on the top mounts is a batter choice imo (so you can drop them down enough to adjust)
I thought about it for a while but I decided that the strut tops would manage just fine with a beefier top mount underneath and an M7 plate on top.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 ·
I had planned on getting Michelin Pilot Sport 4's for next summer, but found out that they're no longer available in suitable sizes for 16" wheels...

Luckily Micke spotted an ad for a set of 17" Team Dynamics from about an hour's drive from my place, so I jumped in my good old daily driver wagon and picked them up. Real bargain too.

No signs of curbing or pot holes, only some slight scratches on the spokes. Probably from being stored for the last 10 years or so. The Dunlops that are on them are from 2008...

·
Hobo Member
491 Posts
After the clean they look much better than in the ad. Good buy that, 2 set of wheels that the wheel pimp found 😁
Put up some pics when you get them on the Mini.

361 - 380 of 394 Posts