MiniTorque.com banner
341 - 360 of 394 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,748 Posts
Does anyone have any experience of Mod a Mini? They're prominent on FB and the R53OC FB pages, but I'm not getting any response.
I do a few bits and bobs fir them. They are normally right on top of their comm's. Try them at their new Torque Monkey workshop on (+44) 01245698027.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,712 Posts
Thanks AB, that worked.
Sorry JKo for clogging up your page. I could have sworn that I was on my own thread.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,712 Posts
I heard that the drunken master has had a drink, nearly fell over (or was it understeer into a ditch?) and it had to find a new home.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
Haha... something like it. It actually offered me two fingers of tasty alcohol mixture. This came out of the OCC. I presume that the clear stuff at the bottom is ethanol, black on the top is oil, and something well shaken in the middle.

But yeah, after clearing the throttle body of dirt and error codes, I took it out for the first spin (of tyres) of this spring. Absolutely no grip, the worn out PS3's spin through 2nd gear, and it wasn't even wet. Cold weather (6° C) is great for IAT's but not so much for these tyres. 😂

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
True. 😄

And yeah, I've also secured a new home for my favourite out-of-control alcoholic. I'll be moving my pile of parts, and the tools that were not good enough for the junkies that broke in to the garage, to a place better suited for a hobbyist mechanic. It's a nice little shed right outside the city, half an hour drive from home. There the Mini will be accompanied by couple of large Americans from the 50's and 60's.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
The Mini has been at the new shed for a few weeks already, and I have started working on the rather long to-do list. Did a bit of inventory after settling in at the new place, and surprisingly found everything I had ordered over the last few years. But of course just as I started taking things apart the boss man at work asked if we could do overtime. Well, have to pay the future mods somehow, so garage time has been limited...

Anyway, here's pic heavy update about what's been going on.

Dug these from the box they've been in since 2014. I got a 6 month temporary lay-off thing at the time of buying them, and needed to have the Bilsteins serviced, so they got pushed back. Next spring the cylinder head cracked, and in the following summer the clutch release bearing gave in, so they got buried pretty far back...

When driving the car to the shed there was a squeking sound coming from the rear suspension. RCA ball joint was the culprit. The other end was totally seized. I guess I should've greased the RCA ball joints every now and then.

On the right hand side the RCA attachment bolt was fused with the ball joint and it's spacers at the trailing arm end, so I just left it on.

Decided to order bushing type RCA's for more fit&forget type of installation.

Raising the suspension to get rear camber to track friendly figures. Took a bit of hammering to the collar moving. Strut looks worse than it is, it cleaned up ok.

New ARB going in. When in doubt, lubricate.

Not a fan of the Subaru STI colour scheme on a chili red Mini.

Sorted with stone chip paint.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·
The other end of the car has received some attention too.

Fitting a used BMW 65mm throttlebody, 23€ posted from ebay. Bolt pattern was about 1mm off, so needed to open up the holes.

Opened up the s/c intake tube from 63mm to 65mm for obvious reasons.

Lots of dirty parts coming off.

Some with a bit of wear and tear...

Quite a lot less light showing through on the Rooster BPV. Snappier spring too.

Coating seems to be ok on the rotors at 237.000km.

Plenty of black and smelly oil came out from the snout side, not so much from the rear... less than 10ml, but luckily no metal shavings. It's been about 80.000km since I last changed the oils.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
sounds like it was all overdue....

Reactions: Micke

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
good time to upgrade to R56 bearings and stronger bolts imo

Reactions: Fro-dizzle

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
good time to upgrade to R56 bearings and stronger bolts imo
Thought about it, but couldn't really justify the added costs... would've meant getting new studs and nuts, plus the rear bearings are still good.

Will never forget the smell of that used oil....🤮
Terrible isn't it. How the hell does it get that way anyway? New oil is basically odorless. And so is the oil coming out of the rear.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
maybe just burnt oil, the front is driving the weight of the rotors plus pulley % and PTO, the rear just a water pump geared down

Reactions: JKo
341 - 360 of 394 Posts