MiniTorque.com banner

321 - 330 of 330 Posts

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,485 Posts
JKo, what about your rims, tyres, brakes, braces and other mods? They might all add up to a little bit of weight loss.

And if you're running ethanol, is that not lighter than petrol?

The KAVS RCAs are 0.8kg or half the weight of the stock jobbies, by the way.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Nice weight saving mate, well worth the effort to offset the new mods.
I never thought our rear seats would weight that much, really interesting that.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
JKo, what about your rims, tyres, brakes, braces and other mods? They might all add up to a little bit of weight loss.

And if you're running ethanol, is that not lighter than petrol?

The KAVS RCAs are 0.8kg or half the weight of the stock jobbies, by the way.
Yeah, rims are 3.6kg lighter than the S-spokes, each. ? M7 strut brace and OMP lower brace do add few kilos.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Some updates now that the winter hiatus has turned in to #stayathome...

I added a few kilos worth of sound deadening to the back of the car, and while waiting for the "clubsport net" parts I installed a new headunit (that required it's own 12V line from battery) and an oem gauge pod (or a copy of). I also pulled out the dash bits to add some felt tape and sound deadening materials in order stop the dash from rattling.

Innovate dual function gauges, water temp & voltage and oil temp & oil pressure.

I also replaced the broken cigarette ligher, and added a light to it which it didn't originally have. And only after putting everything back together I realized that the light should've been connected to the dash lights, not straight to 12V... so it looks pretty bright, especially as the gauges in the pod are permanently dimmed. Need to fix both at some point.

You may also notice that I gave sticker bombing a try... I thought it might be easier than painting, and quickly found out it isn't, not with the R53 dash anyway. But at least the shitty patina look is gone. And so are the rattles.

I got the cheapest curtain rod - or "rear strut brace" as some call them - I could find from ebay, and still had some stickers left... it was supposed to have blue brackets, but came with black. Classic ebay. Didn't matter one way or the other though, as after cutting the rear backrest hoops off of them they needed to be painted anyway. The net a is race car window net, same as MartijnGizmo used on his awesome build (thanks for the idea!). Oh and the curtain together with the rod weigh 1.6kg. :D

The GP2 rear seat delete (1.2kg) got delayed thanks to covid-19... Micke ordered it for me as he was getting some parts for himself, and I was supposed to get it at the MTGF winter mökki meet, but that never happened due to travel restrictions. But it's here now! I was thinking of putting carpet on it, but lets see.

·
#R53orGTFO
348 Posts
You were fast in getting the seat delete installed. I have to say that it looks great with the net. Maybe something to think about for 2021 :D

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
I can't see the gauges for the sticker 'noise' 😂

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Haha... the original plan was to paint the dash and door card "rings" to body colour (which will probably still happen), and sticker bomb the bare metal parts in the door openings. But the rust under the door seals needs to be addressed before any stickery business can happen around there.

But tcbw is right about covid-19... slapping stickers on the dash parts was a way of working on the car without leaving the house. It was either that or cleaning the R56 trailing arms in the kitchen sink.

321 - 330 of 330 Posts