MiniTorque.com banner

301 - 320 of 330 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
First track day with the Mini is now done. Got a bit of brake fade possibly due to the stock brake pads, so I couldn't really push it... but I did beat the lap time I did in my old Jaguar XJR! :laugh: I'll upload some in-car camera action shortly.

Here's a pic from the pits with new summer wheels and tyres. I know, I know, there's wheel gap, tcbw kindly pointed it out to me when he arrived at the track... and one of my mates said my car looked like the Countryman version sitting next to tcbw's R53. :scared:

Looks like they had the same banner behind the grand stand 6 years ago. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Here's something I thought would never happen; finding a pair of JCW Sparcos in Finland. It was a 1000km round trip to get them from near the Russian border (the border zone literally started right across the road), but as the seller was a mate with a few Minis the trip also involved a bit of bbq and a fair amount of cold drinks. :) The Sparcos came from a pre-fl R53 he had bought from Latvia a while back. There was also a JCW steering wheel, but the alcantara was a bit too worn to my liking. The weird oem wooden steering wheel which he also had in storage was in great condition, but I'm not that kind of a perv...

The seats are in quite good condition. Stitching is slightly loose at one spot on the lower part of the driver's side, but that's hopefully easily fixed. Hopefully I'll have time to install them today or tomorrow.

I was so excited I forgot to take pics before loading them in to the car. :lol:

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the leather rear seat... I'm not a big fan of a rear seat delete, but maybe that's the way forward.

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
I'm not a fan of rear seat delete either but with the weight pulled out of the factory seats making such a tremendous difference to the cars responses you find a way to make it look nice and live with it

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
This is a good development. I pulled out the rear seats for the Swedish run (there's more room for tyres), but put it all back when I got home. I haven't installed the rear seat delete foam from the GB.

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
That's what I've done a few times, well similar, if I've needed to take passengers but wanted to use this car it's easy to reverse and put it all back to stock, no parts to refit to original seats just a straight swap.

Hardest part is getting heavy seats from the loft haha.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
I like the fact that stuff stays better in place in the boot when the rear seats are there. But I also like having a matching interior... which brings me to my current arrangement where only the passenger side JCW Sparco is installed. :lol: I'm dropping off the driver's seat tomorrow for a bit of fixing.

Current condition of the driver's seat... the fabric on the bolster is a bit worn too, it's not just the stiching.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Both inner CV joint boots have failed. Not yet sure if I want to tackle them myself, looks like a nasty job... and I'd need tools to pop the lower arm ball joints and the track rod ends, and CV boot clip pliers, and something to take the joints apart..?

Anyway, probably makes sense to buy OEM boots?

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
I suppose we'd best stick to Land Rovers, and keep the Exclusive for First Friday of the Month (Cruise Night) in the stadi.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
I started the preparations for the next summer season last week by pulling out stuff from the interior... decided that rear seat delete is the way to go, and went on to remove the rear seat fixings as well as the rear seat belts and buckles. I'm still keeping it reversible (for now...), so only removing stuff that is bolted on.

The rear seat backrest alone is 10kg and the other bits probably add up to maybe couple of kilos (I am going to weigh them of course once I get my scale working again), but I'm going to put back a few kilos by upgrading the rear speakers and adding some sound insulation. And I need something to keep oil cans and such from flying about. Maybe a rear "strut brace" bar with a net that also ties to the floor.

·
Resident Gobshite
4,145 Posts
And I need something to keep oil cans and such from flying about. Maybe a rear "strut brace" bar with a net that also ties to the floor.
SRR do one relatively cheap that bolts to the OEM top rear seat mounts. I planned to get a cargo bet to fit over it, they’re easily available net but never got round to it.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I think all finnish guys has remowed backseat now.
Maybe we can order cargonet with finnish mtgf logo for everybody

Lähetetty minun H9436 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Weighed all the back seat stuff that came out (details in the weights or R53 bits thread), and together with the parcel shelf it adds up to 22kg. Didn't expect it to be that much tbh. I also have the Braille B2015 battery which is 6kg lighter than the normal one, so that's 28kg saved. Rear wiper must've weighed a kilo at least, and a pair of Kavs RCA's are a bit lighter than the stock items, so I'm guessing about 30kg saved in total.

Then adding the JCW Sparcos put back about 3kg, new front speakers added at least 1kg (didn't weigh them at the time), new rear speakers will add exactly 2kg. The bar to hang the cargo net from (which is sold as a strut brace but doesn't connect anywhere near the struts, C-pillar brace might be a better name if it actually braced something) plus the net and fixings might be 3-5kg? Plus all the soundproofing that I have and that I'm still going to add... I'll probably end up with around 10kg saved, well worth the effort. :LOL: But at least it's more than I could lose around my waist...

301 - 320 of 330 Posts