MiniTorque.com banner

281 - 300 of 330 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
After the TB was sorted the fucking Mini started getting misfires when cold and difficulty to start at all when warm. Misfires were from cyl #3 and would you believe the #3 post on the coil pack was all black... new coil pack fixed that, but the warm start issue remained. I was suspecting crank position sensor as that's what google suggested, but then it started having some weird random fueling issues at high revs...

FA53 logs were showing max injector duty at above 95%, so I figured that the 650cc injectors (apparently 630cc @ 3bar) were not happy at all about that and just responded unpredictably. Doublep was using 850cc on his car with good results (also with FA53 and E85), so I placed an order on Finjector.com for the same set. Unfortunately the source for those had dried out, but they did have 1000cc's with otherwise same spec in stock: https://www.finjector.com/eng/ev14_1000_cc_12_ohm_c15_o_o_49_mm_keskipitka_uscar_liitin-p-450769-187 ... total overkill, but surprisingly a bit cheaper than the 850cc. :D A guick google session didn't find anyone running injectors that big with the stock ECU, so I thought I'd do the community a service and act as a guinea pig. Finjector claims to sell only tested and flow matched sets, and the papers that came with mine said that they flow 960cc @ 3bar.

When taking the old ones out I was greeted by four rather disgusting looking 650cc's... never seen such sticky tar like gunk on injectors. I guess I found the reason for the random fueling issues. Oh well. In with the 1000cc's.

I guesstimated the injector scaling factor based on what I was using on the 650cc and what Doublep has on the 850cc, and it ran fine straight away. Sligth adjustement was needed to get fuel trims closer to zero, but that was it. Idle is good, just like it was with the 650's. Max IDC dropped to about 67%. That leaves some room for the future. :D

But there was still the mystery of the sticky gunk... the car had been losing oil for a good while, and as it's obviously ending up in the intake (lots of it in the intercooler too) it has to be coming from the PCV system. When I replaced the TB I didn't notice much oil there, so it's more likely coming from the PCV valve side of the valve cover. The valve itself seemed to be working correctly when comparing to a new unused item. I had an oil catch in my parts pile, so I quickly slapped it on there to prevent the new injectors from getting the gunk treatment. Interesting to see how much oil it will catch. And of course it would be nice to find the root cause... worn piston rings or something else expensive probably.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
and the cat if you have one

I'd pull that head and get the valves out, if that shit is on the injectors it will quite possibly be on the back of the valves, plus I'd want to see the seats

are you at a high idc due to e85 use or engine spec?

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Too much for bad news for one spring.
But all things will sort out sooner or later offcourse.

Would be nice to see you Jussi next weekend @ carage/dyno weekend if possible. Then 4/6 mtgf minis dynoded with same dyno

Lähetetty minun F8331 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Yeah, unless it decides to come apart by itself... it was great that DoubleP managed to arrange the dyno visit for us. Good way to finish up a Garage Weekend.

There was no printer at the dyno, so only got some photos of the screens. For those few who don't understand Finnish it says 169.1kW at the wheels, so ~227whp. With drivetrain losses calculated by the dyno that comes to 265bhp (197.7kW) and 285Nm. Because of traction issues the runs were done in 6th gear. Car was just too low for the dyno. :laugh: It's a bit weird that max power was at 6960rpm tho. Limiter starts kicking in after 7200rpm... IAT was at 70°C at the end of that run, so maybe that had something to do with it.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
It turns out that the Bridgestone RE002s bite pretty well in slush at 4c - today's weather on the south coast. Although the differential might also be helping.

Anyway, as to tyres, EB will be running AD08s on the GP2 this summer. I don't doubt that they'll grip less than the stock Kumho V70a's but I'd be surprised if the Yokohamas distorted or the sidewalls blew out - which has happened to about 6 tyres out of the three sets of Kumho's he's run on that car.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
As the other MTGF boys have reported, we did a track day last weekend with Bimmer Tuning Club Finland (yup, that's their official name, but 20€ yearly membership fee gets you to several track days, so...). It was great fun as usual with these guys. :thumbup:

Micke's decat was working great, you can hardly hear DTR's car behind him. :laugh:

https://youtu.be/9_UPqt5x5Q4

Here's my best effort of the day. Lots of tyre squeal from the AD08R's, not sure what to make of that. Tyre pressure too high or just pushing it too hard? Melted the front wheel center caps a little, but pulled them out before they dropped on their own, so didn't lose them this time... otherwise the car worked great.

https://youtu.be/2_pucMjfzfM

281 - 300 of 330 Posts