MiniTorque.com banner

261 - 280 of 335 Posts

·
Bugger
25,323 Posts
It's the standard size. Didn't even know they had a smaller one. Why anyone would want a smaller crank pulley anyway?
Its for the Cooper, the R50 CP is smaller. Most places don't list it correctly.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Its for the Cooper, the R50 CP is smaller. Most places don't list it correctly.
Glad I just read that. I was looking at the Crank pulley on my R50 engine I have at work and wondering why it didn't have the puller holes in to get it off and thus why is it a different pulley to on the S.

knd_

·
Bugger
25,323 Posts
Glad I just read that. I was looking at the Crank pulley on my R50 engine I have at work and wondering why it didn't have the puller holes in to get it off and thus why is it a different pulley to on the S.

knd_
Its the same with the stock ones, most shops don't know that the R53 and R50 engines use a different CP. I've seen the Corteco ones shown with the R50 part picture for the R53 part no and vice versa. The R50 item is usually a three spoke one, while the R53 item is solid.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Not much has happened to the DM lately, just putting more km's on the clock. I did swap pulleys a while back, from -15% to -17% as I had one at hand. No noticeable difference in IAT's (still on stock IC) and 0.7 psi increase in max boost. Boost comes on maybe 500rpm earlier, so more usable power I guess.

Plan is to take it off the road for the winter to put on some new stuff/mods that have been piling up (like the R56 rear trailing arms). Maybe finally buy the Whiteline ajustable rear arb too...

My sensible daily had been off the road since June due to sump gasket leak, snapped handbrake cable and expired timing belt, so that had to be sorted. Did that by selling the thing. It was sad to see the V6 Activa leave my garage, such a great Q car. I know I will miss it, but I also know that the new owner will give it a new life. Then it was time to find a suitable winter beater. Found it in a form of an early Clio mk1. :D

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Small update on DM's current condition... after the starter failed in November the car stood on my parking spot through the winter:

Eventually the snow melted about couple of weeks ago, leaving the car a bit dusty...

..and yesterday I got a friend to give it a bit of a pull with his turbo 9-5. It started right up after popping the clutch. Right rear wheel was seized ("someone" had left the handbrake on...), but a bit of vigorous reversing got it going. Drove it to my garage, and today I'm planning to start taking things apart to access the starter motor.

By garage do you mean bat cave?

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
My daily Clio S had a violent interaction between it's pistons and valves, so I had to take my alcohol problem out of hibernation. Slapped the winter tyres on it, gave it a quick wash, and went to get my stuff out of the Clio from the garage backyard where the flatbed had dropped it off. It was raining sleet on the day before, and it went to -10°C during the night, so the Clio had some proper frosting on it. Took a while to get in.

Tank full of fresh E85 and a bit of sunshine makes DM a happy car. It'll become an unrecognizable lump of brown slush in about two days.

Needless to say I got nothing done on the Mini during it's hibernation... they were renovating the water and sewer lines in the building where my garage is, and access to the place was limited until last week. Oh well.

·
Bugger
25,323 Posts
what fault logger is that old chap?

·
Bugger
25,323 Posts
Looks like Torque on android
Ah, dang never any fun on IOS. I've got the MPSS software but the motivation to set up a windows VM on my Mac or sort out my old laptop isn't huge...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
DashCommand on iOS is an ok OBD-reader, need a Wifi dongle though.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Surprisingly it seems to run better with a brand new throttle body... the old one I bought used for 25€ just to try if it fixes the stalling issue. That it did. Lasted almost a year too.

Yesterday I washed and vacuumed the car, and afterwards the boot refused to open from the button in the boot handle. Also it seems to randomly open by itself... maybe water somewhere in the switch/lock? Didn't have time to remove the boot handle to see what's going on, so I just left the car in the garage for the night to dry up proprely. Fucking Minis.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,490 Posts
You've got water in the boot switch. It might be worth removng the boot handle, drying it out, checking/cleaning the numberplate bulbs and their connections, and then reinstalling with a bead of silicon all the way around to stop the water ingress again. This is what I should have done.

261 - 280 of 335 Posts