MiniTorque.com banner

241 - 260 of 330 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Small update on DM's current condition... after the starter failed in November the car stood on my parking spot through the winter:

Eventually the snow melted about couple of weeks ago, leaving the car a bit dusty...

..and yesterday I got a friend to give it a bit of a pull with his turbo 9-5. It started right up after popping the clutch. Right rear wheel was seized ("someone" had left the handbrake on...), but a bit of vigorous reversing got it going. Drove it to my garage, and today I'm planning to start taking things apart to access the starter motor.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Looks like I don't need to replace the starter after all. I took off the manifold heat shield, and managed to get the starter motor heat shield out of the way enough to get the starter visible from above (a tip I got from MOD Mini youtube channel). And there on top of the starter was lying a big bolt, probably causing a short between a solenoid wire and starter casing.

Dramatic re-enactment of the situation with the help of a spare starter motor:

Actual crime scene in the middle of this pic, between cyl 2 and cyl 3 manifold tubes:

And where did the bolt come from? My first thought was that it's the crank bolt that went missing a while back. But it's actually one of the starter motor bolts. It probably wasn't put on tight enough when the clutch was done... here's the bolt hole which looks nicely accessible between the cyl 3 and cyl 4 manifold tubes, but really isn't. It took so long to wind the bolt in that I left the rest of the assembly for another day. Hopefully I can finish it today.

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
..................which explains why it fell out, it wouldn't have been tightened. If they just took the manifold off which is simple, it would have been done right I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
..................which explains why it fell out, it wouldn't have been tightened. If they just took the manifold off which is simple, it would have been done right I guess.
Actually that bolt is easy to reach without removing the manifold once the subframe is removed. :) And I think it was me who forgot to tighten it properly back then... ::getcoat::

Anyway, the car is running again. And what a hoot it is to be behind the wheel of a mini again!

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
ooops ;O)

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
It was a nice drive yesterday even though it was raining almost the whole time. Gotta love these Pilot Sport 3's. Just need some proper wheels for them. Or a set of lightweights for the semi-slicks and use the Slipstreams for the PS3's.

Pic from the other day when I was installing shiny new summer shoes and the summer battery...

·
Bugger
25,316 Posts
What Braille did you go for?

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
The ethanol conversion of my car is now official. I had it added to the car's registration in katsastus (~MOT) and got 200€ from the Finnish Transport Safety Agency (Trafi) for doing so. :D I.e. the government is supporting my use of alcohol. Yay!

(of course changing the registration info cost me 58€...)

What Braille did you go for?
Sorry, didn't notice your question earlier. But I think this was brought up in your project thread couple of weeks ago (for the record; it's B2015).

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Added some blackness. And took my Mini watch out. :cools:

Pic by DTR from the Ahvenisto track day. I noticed that worn down semi-slicks don't act like proper slicks. Lots of sideways action by putting them on the rear axle tho... :lol:

The row of Minis at Ahvenisto...

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Had a busy July... Replaced the KAVS +2% crank pulley with a PRW FluidGel damper thingy. The belt tensioner no longer jumps around like crazy. Engine sounds a bit smoother too, which was my main goal in doing the swap. Replaced the TB with a one that actually works properly. That solved the stalling issue I've been trying to fix for over a year. Now I have a smooth 880rpm idle instead of 1300rpm... Changed the fuel filter (100.000km on E85 since the last change) and checked that the fuel level float thingy was moving freely. It was. Fuel gauge still broken though. Got a replacement for the broken PDC sensor, but only got as far as to put paint on it. Still needs lacquer and of course installation... Opened up the key to replace the battery in it (remote not working), only to find that the battery is fine and properly connected. Decided to paint the key with chili red / aspen white while it was apart, and made a mess of it. Went to the Nordic Mini Meeting which was held in Finland this year. Got they key back together, and paired it with the same procedure that I had tried earlier about a dozen times. Remote now works. Finally got the NCS Expert & cable working too, and did some coding; windows open/close from the remote, DRL enabled, double blink hazards... Then I added some sound deadening to the boot floor and battery box. It actually made a difference. Also got married one Tuesday morning, and then went for a 3500km / 9 day roadtrip around Finland (and a bit in Norway) with the wife. From the Baltic sea to the Arctic Ocean. The 30°C heat wave gave a good excuse to spend so much time in an air conditioned car...

(Tampere is where I live)

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
TBH I was slightly amazed that the car worked fine the whole trip. Had to add a little oil half way through and the Bilstein B14s are knocking again. Nothing unexpected there. It stalled a few times when running on 98 octane (E85 availability is not great above the Arctic Circle), but was happy again when it got some alcohol. The M7 Ram scoop caught a small bird at some point... found it dead on top of the intercooler along with layers of bugs after we got home. Glad we didn't hit anything bigger. These cousins of Rudolph were all over the roads up north, and usually they were in no hurry to move out of the way...

241 - 260 of 330 Posts