MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my slowly evolving 2006 R53 JCW, a.k.a the alcohol problem, running on E85... ethanol, one of the oldest recreational drugs known, now at your local gas pump. :thumbup1: I bought the car from Germany in December 2012 and had already bought the first mod (cabrio braces) before the car actually arrived in Finland. This was my shopping list for the Mini:

# facelift (LSD & shorter gearing)
# no sunroof
# JCW brakes
# automatic A/C
# full leather seats

I would've preferred Recaros, but finding one with Recaros and without a sunroof seemed impossible at the time...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Mods / Plans:

Engine:
# KAVS -17% s/c pulley
# PRW FluidGel dampened crank pulley (previously KAVS +2% with -15% s/c)
# OBX manifold /w tomcat
# Catcams 1302469 "sport" camshaft
# BVH
# 960cc injectors
# Bytetronik FA53
# tuned for E85 by me
# colder plugs; BKR8EIX
# ITG air filter in de-flapped JCW airbox
# Aluminium coolant tank /w proper pressure cap
# Mishimoto radiator (waiting to be installed)

Handling:
# Quaife LSD
# cabrio braces
# HEL brake lines
# Nitrac DCT front rotors
# Carbotech XP8 pads
# Bilstein B14 coilovers
# SPC camber plates
# KAVS rear control arms
# M7 front strut brace
# Powerflex lower engine mount insert
# Powerflex gearbox mount insert
# Vibratechnics upper engine mount
# Powerflex front lower arm rear bushes
# OMP lower brace
# Braille B2015 light weight battery (6.8kg)
# R56 rear trailing arms (waiting to be installed)
# adjustable rear ARB (planned)

Exterior:
# M7 ram scoop
# rear wiper delete
# JCW wing delete
# Aero spoiler
# 16x8" ET34 Rota Slipstream for track tyres (Yoko AD08R)
# 16x6.5" ET37 steelies for winter and summer tyres
# stud conversion kit
# beltline de-chrome
# de-badge & de-stripe
# clear third brake light
# Alta 2" stubby aerial
# rear calipers painted red to match the front JCW's
# front aero bumper (waiting to be painted)

Interior:
# Innovate MTX-L AFR gauge
# Innovate MTX-D oil temp & pressure dual gauge
# JCW carbon/leather gear knob
# JCW carbon/leather handbrake grip
# Dynamat Superlite noise dampening
# Center armrest delete
# OEM center console gauge pod (waiting to be installed)
# Water temp gauge (waiting to be installed)
# paint the dash & other interior bits (planned)

As it was when purchased in December 2012, stripes galore and JCW wing

Summer 2013, de-striped, de-winged and wheel gap issue sorted

Winter look, January 2015

Summer 2015

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Good list JKo, looks tons better without the checkers. Those studded tyres must be at the top of your list by now!?

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the winter tyres fitted today! And immediately went for a drive! And got a smile and a wave from a girl driving an R56 Cooper on the next lane. :laugh:

Still no daylight pics, sun sets at about 3:30pm this time of year... :bored:

Orranje rear wiper delete sticker arrived in the mail today, so tomorrow it's rear wiper delete time :)

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No rear wiper delete yet... customs wanted more documents to be able to determine how much tax I should pay, so I went on a search for a Certificate of Conformity, and ended up having MOT test done while I was there... at least they didn't find anything wrong with the Mini. Apparently the main dealer is the cheapest option to get a CoC from, charging "only" 100€ for a piece of paper... basically all I (or customs/registration) need is the last two digits of the type approval number which determine variant and version of the car. Oh coc...!

·
MT's Naughty Boy
6,852 Posts
No rear wiper delete yet... customs wanted more documents to be able to determine how much tax I should pay, so I went on a search for a Certificate of Conformity, and ended up having MOT test done while I was there... at least they didn't find anything wrong with the Mini. Apparently the main dealer is the cheapest option to get a CoC from, charging "only" 100€ for a piece of paper... basically all I (or customs/registration) need is the last two digits of the type approval number which determine variant and version of the car. Oh coc...!
For a wiper delete? Couldn't they just put it in an envelope?

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clear third brake light installed, looks just about perfect with the white roof. :) Also put in LED front parking lights (or whatever they're called) to match the HIDs. I found them when I was shopping for a puller, which brings me to...

I attacked the rear wiper today. The nut came off easily, the wiper arm not so much. I didn't have a forklift at hand, so I went shopping for a suitable puller. Nowadays I use any excuse to take the Mini out for a drive, and this was as good an excuse as any. LSD, snow and proper studded tyres are an amazing combo. Gotta love throttle steer. Anyway, I found a puller, but still could not get the wiper arm off. Luckily I have a hacksaw, and no plans to use the rear wiper again. Ever.

Job done.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rustproofing is booked for next week, and it'll take almost four days... properly washing the underside, letting it dry, blasting possible surface rust areas, applying primer, letting it dry, spraying the first coat of rustproofing, letting it dry, spraying the second coat, letting it dry... meanwhile I'll be enjoying the smooth ride of my Xantia estate diesel, which I bought just to have some means of transport after the Jag was sold and before the Mini arrived from Germany. Not a completely awful car considering the price and the fact that it's done 382,000km. :D

Fascia adapter for the new head unit finally arrived yesterday, and that was the last missing part of long list of adapters that I needed. So hopefully I'll have my iPhone playing music and charging in the Mini today.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drove the car back home from rustproofing, and there was a bit of snow on the roads... yeah, no need for a rear wiper. :lol:

The Pioneer stereo that I installed is working great, but the factory satnav voice is loud as hell. The volume control in satnav's settings does nothing. I have the navigation interface box from NewMiniStuff, and it's supposed to have volume adjustment built in, but I have no idea how it works, and NewMiniStuff is not answering my emails... :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Drove the car back home from rustproofing, and there was a bit of snow on the roads... yeah, no need for a rear wiper. :lol:

The Pioneer stereo that I installed is working great, but the factory satnav voice is loud as hell. The volume control in satnav's settings does nothing. I have the navigation interface box from NewMiniStuff, and it's supposed to have volume adjustment built in, but I have no idea how it works, and NewMiniStuff is not answering my emails... :confused:
Post this on total mini,mike from newministuff is always on there,I'm sure someone on there should help,it's there type of topic that they deal in,

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got an answer from Mike, but no luck with the nav voice situation yet...

I installed a Brodit pass-through iPhone holder today. Now I just have to slip the phone in to the holder and it instantly starts charging and playing music. :cools: Also put the handsfree mic in place on top of the steering column. Now I just have to figure out how to use the Pioneer handsfree system. :blink:

I hate to just add stuff (=weight) on a car, so I had to take something out too... :wink:

Luckily the ITG filter came with a big enough warning sticker to cover the hole of the flap actuator. :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now that I've paid the car import tax I got the Finnish registration done, and I finally have proper licence plates instead of the sticker ones. Car tax was 36% based on co2 emissions, and due to the fucked up system we have it isn't 36% of the actual price I paid for the car in Germany, but instead 36% of an estimated price of a similar car if it was on sale here in Finland... which according to customs is about 16.000€. Still ended up paying a lot less than a similarly spec'd facelift R53 JCW would be going for here. If you could find one that is. There is also a chance that I might get some of the tax back, as imported MY2006 cars shouldn't be taxed based on co2, because that's not the way they were taxed when new. /rant

550cc injectors are en route from 1320. With any luck the car will be running on ethanol some time next week. :w00t:

1 - 20 of 316 Posts