MiniTorque.com banner

761 - 780 of 838 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #761
The condition of your car sounds exactly the same as mine
I think it lived near you with Olly for a few years so would explain it! Also the guy I bought it from after lived in Glasgow next to the coast...

Really want to drop the fuel tank and get to everything properly but without a tank that’s going to be a horrible job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,554 Posts
I found that in the area around the tank a lot of what looked like the rot really setting in was just staining which wiped off. Give it another few years and these cars will be starting to need proper restoration. Still though, they'll have lasted three times as long as the classics before needing it

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #763
I found that in the area around the tank a lot of what looked like the rot really setting in was just staining which wiped off. Give it another few years and these cars will be starting to need proper restoration. Still though, they'll have lasted three times as long as the classics before needing it
They’ve lasted a lot longer than most cars from their era too. Think about what was around at the time MK4/5 Golf’s Ford KA’s all just rusted to shit.

I plan on wire brushing it all, hitting it with some Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80, then zinc primer and black chassis paint. Will probably use some Bilt Hamber cavity wax after that too just to give it some extra protection.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #764
Inner ball joints changed today. What a fun job to do on the floor that is.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Undoing the bolts on the carrier for the long driveshaft when you have lost your long 13mm ratchet spanner is great fun.

One of the worst jobs on an R50/53. Done it about 6 times now and never remembered to bring my ratchet spanners home.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
Rust around the petrol tank is getting sorted once lockdown allows. Will have access to a ramp for a day so plan is to drop it, wire wheel all the rust off, hit it with some Buzzweld rust encapsulator and Buzzweld W.A.R.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Rust around the petrol tank is getting sorted once lockdown allows. Will have access to a ramp for a day so plan is to drop it, wire wheel all the rust off, hit it with some Buzzweld rust encapsulator and Buzzweld W.A.R.

Good luck, I’d get yourself some flap discs as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts

I’m in the planning and parts buying stages for doing the same, again once lockdown is over or when the primary schools go back so I’m home alone and I’ll book a few days off to get it all stripped, treated and repainted.
Looks like I need tank straps as well, already have the rear subframe sorted just need a r56 rear and where the bolt holes aren’t ovalised!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
I’m in the planning and parts buying stages for doing the same, again once lockdown is over or when the primary schools go back so I’m home alone and I’ll book a few days off to get it all stripped, treated and repainted.
Looks like I need tank straps as well, already have the rear subframe sorted just need a r56 rear and where the bolt holes aren’t ovalised!
It’s one of those jobs that I am really not looking forward to doing but needs to be done before it gets every worse.

I plan on sorting my subframe too at some point will just treat the area up to for the time being.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #773
Nice little addition today. JCW steering wheel sorted.

Fuel tank coming out this weekend to sort the rust I’ve got going on.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #774

Least fun job I’ve ever done. Absolutely filthy to do.
Sadly didn’t have the most time in the world to do this but has to be much better than it was before right?!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #778
Looking good, not looking forward to what I find on mine...
Hopefully it’s not too bad for you! Mine was worse than I had expected but came out pretty well.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #780
Swapped the rear cracked and worse for wear joey’d light out for a set of OEM ones. Gave them a polish up/ceramic coating look good as new.!

Forgot last week as well managed to give the whole car a single stage machine polish and ceramic coating. Only took 3 years of ownership...

761 - 780 of 838 Posts