MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Only have the 1 car key from when purchased and the buttons have just knackered on it, car no longer responds (changed battery and still won't work) so think I need to order a new one and get it programmed.

I'm based in Surrey, does anyone know of anywhere that offers a good price on this?

Only know of the two options below:
  • Dealership quotes around £170 for key and programming
  • Noticed a cheap blank key on eBay for around £20 which would also need programming and cutting (around £40)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any advice online? Never needed to look (famous last words - hope my car can't read this)!
Surprisingly no, only people saying to go dealership but no one has really tested or queried these chinese ones.

Just a long shot really, would have thought for a 15 year old car they might've lowered the price on basic key unlocking tech ;)

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
there's a guy on fb selling cut and programmed keys and even by his own admission prefers to sell some as the old BMW diamond shaped key due to Mini copy quality issues. Personally I'd just buy the Mini key and take the pain. It's one thing you never have to want to have mess you about.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there's a guy on fb selling cut and programmed keys and even by his own admission prefers to sell some as the old BMW diamond shaped key due to Mini copy quality issues. Personally I'd just buy the Mini key and take the pain. It's one thing you never have to want to have mess you about.
Yeah probably best to just take the hit i suppose, bit annoying that one day they just packed up and didn't respond, but it's a Pre-FL so can't re-program myself.

Never thought to look on facebook, next I should try scrap yards and pick up some keys off of the breakers :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
the pre fl key to code in is done using the bar code supplied with a new key iirc, I have no idea if it'd be possible to do anything through breaker parts but then I also have no idea how the afore mentioned supplier does them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the pre fl key to code in is done using the bar code supplied with a new key iirc, I have no idea if it'd be possible to do anything through breaker parts but then I also have no idea how the afore mentioned supplier does them.
So BMW do them the same way as the eBay ones, the keys get supplied with the code stuck on them and provided in the receipt, so i'd have the code to program with in either scenario.

Just a money game really, quality vs price

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I don't know about the ebay ones, BMW ones have a long bar code that needs to be input through diagnostics, I do know it's important not to lose the strip with it on, you can't get a copy

·
Registered
1 Posts
This site won't let me post the direct link, but if you search "mini and land rover remote keys" with Google, you'll find a really useful page on the top 1 or 2 results about coding the pre facelift keys.

It requires having the right BMW software. I've done the programming once on a new key I ordered from the dealer. As you'll see on that page, you can also use a used key after reading the long bar code from it. The software and coding can get pretty involved, but for someone planning to keep the car forever like myself, it might be worth the time and trouble.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This site won't let me post the direct link, but if you search "mini and land rover remote keys" with Google, you'll find a really useful page on the top 1 or 2 results about coding the pre facelift keys.

It requires having the right BMW software. I've done the programming once on a new key I ordered from the dealer. As you'll see on that page, you can also use a used key after reading the long bar code from it. The software and coding can get pretty involved, but for someone planning to keep the car forever like myself, it might be worth the time and trouble.
I'll take a look at this, mentioned procedure 2 which i've not tried yet so will have to give that a go first

1 - 10 of 10 Posts