1 - 20 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Platty's Project Progress....

Skip to page 18 for new project plan

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272/ppp-33697/index18.html#post617525

Having wanted a Cooper S for years, finally the stars aligned. I picked her up at the beginning of February 2013 from an Indy. A November 2008 built, 1 owner, FMSH, MCS with 41k miles on the clock. She's my daily driver for work where I travel around 50 miles per day on a mixture of A and B roads.

As you'll see, I have started buying bits and pieces, however my old project is still in the garage and must be moved on before the MCS can start with its makeover.
The old project was a 205GTI. The shell (which I still have) had 98k on the clock and had been dry stored for 9yrs previous to me buying it (4yrs ago). I fitted a Citroen Xsara VTS engine (42k miles from new!), Xsara brakes, 309GTI rear beam, Coilovers, rare as rocking horse shit PTS Alloys, and even rarer genuine Zender front valance. (I'll upload some pictures when I'm back at work). Although she was never legally on the road, I did manage to get a few drives in her. I was made an offer that was too good to turn down, so broke her up, selling all the shinies to a very happy individual.

Anyway, back on topic.....I've been in the planning phase for the last few weeks researching all manner of options for my MCS, so far I have come up with the following....

MT Stickers - Done
KW V1 Coilovers - June
JCW Brembo brake upgrade - Done
17x8 BBS LM Replicas (in white/polished) - In progress of recolouring White/Polished
Falken 195/45/17 ZE912's - June
JCW Aero Bodykit - August
Joey modded headlights - May
CC'd light rings - May
CC'd Grille surround - May
CC'd tail light rings - May
Stumpy aerial - Done
Black/Carbon beltline - 3M Di Noc vinyl - Done
Black/Carbon side scuttles - July
Debadged rear - July
Tinted rear 3 windows - Light Smoke tint - July
Carbon film interior panels - In progress
Deleted rear wiper - Orrange grommet - Done
AEM Air Intake - September
Akrapovic turbo back system - November
Wagner FMIC - September
Thumper Head?
Mild Remap (200-210Bhp) - December
Very custom fit head unit - Alpine CDA-137BTi - Next year
Upgraded door/tweeter speakers - Hertz 3 ways - Next year
Upgraded rear 6x9's - Hertz (or possibly 2 x 6" free air subs) - Next year
4 Channel Amp - Hertz - Next year

Here she is as she currently stands.
frontside.jpg rear.jpg

My original plan of attack was going to be wheels - coilovers - brakes, however having had a sneak peek at the material left on the current pads, there is no point spending money replacing the MCS pads with new, just to take them off in 6 weeks time when I'd have the cash for the JCW kit. Hence, the Hilux stance will have to continue for a while longer whilst I upgrade the brakes first. I could stump up for AP coilovers, however I have my heart set on KW's, these require me to pull in the purse strings until May's payday. I'd very much like to have the stance and stopping sorted before the London to Brighton run, however It wouldn't leave long to order the KW's, have them delivered and fit them.

I'll try and keep the thread updated on a regular basis with progress and most importantly, lots of photo's.

This is MT, so I know I don't really have to say this, but please, comments/criticism welcome.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Wow awesome plans bud, will look/drive tip top with that lot fitted! Is it lightning blue?

Have you already got the miltek exhaust? Cos I've heard some very mixed reviews about their R56 system...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow awesome plans bud, will look/drive tip top with that lot fitted! Is it lightning blue?

Have you already got the miltek exhaust? Cos I've heard some very mixed reviews about their R56 system...
No, I've not got the exhaust yet. Looking at my budget, and upcoming special occasions etc....most of the engine mods will be next year. My main priority under the bonnet will be catch cans and a walnut blast this year. However, plans change :wink:

What have you heard on the Miltek system?

Sounds great apart from the wheel/tyre combo.
My pockets just aren't deep enough to fork out for genuine BBS LM's, as much as I'd love to. Reading on StanceWorks, the Falkens stretch well as their sidewalls are not as stiff as some others. They don't seem to suffer from bubbling like more expensive brands do.

I'm looking for a cheap set of 16" MINI alloys to fit some decent winter tyres to which I'll throw on the car for the crap weather months (that will be all year round then here in the UK), saving the LM's for fair weather only.

·
Premium Member
9,608 Posts
My pockets just aren't deep enough to fork out for genuine BBS LM's, as much as I'd love to. Reading on StanceWorks, the Falkens stretch well as their sidewalls are not as stiff as some others. They don't seem to suffer from bubbling like more expensive brands do.

I'm looking for a cheap set of 16" MINI alloys to fit some decent winter tyres too which I'll throw on the car for the crap weather months (that will be all year round then here in the UK), saving the LM's for fair weather only.
Fair enough, not many people spend that much on wheels but you'd be waaaaay better off getting a decent lightweight wheel from a reputable company and some sticky tyres than buying some Chinese made rubbish and trying to go 'stance'.

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
This should look the tits when finished. But don't say you haven't been warned that your car will handle like shit on that wheel/tyre combo.

You won't be able to run 16" wheels over the JCW Brembo calipers. Although some wheels might fit over them if you fit earless brake pads.

Some chrome might go well with the polished lip of your new wheels. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This should look the tits when finished. But don't say you haven't been warned that your car will handle like shit on that wheel/tyre combo.

You won't be able to run 16" wheels over the JCW Brembo calipers. Although some wheels might fit over them if you fit earless brake pads.

Some chrome might go well with the polished lip of your new wheels. Just something to think about.
Feck, feck and FECK! 16"s dont fit over Brembos?!?!! My minds eye had black 16" Bridge alloys with some HUGE rubber fitted for the winter. Thats just gone down the shitter then.

On to a different matter, there was a metallic clunking coming from the NSF wheel on the way home on Friday night. To me it sounded like a bush had gone, however the car still felt tight and nimble. So, up at the crack of dawn on Saturday to drive to Manchester and back to Gatwick. I was back home by 1pm, shattered, I said to hell with the car, I'll look into the problem tomorrow (Sunday). So with the car up in the air, I had my pry bar out trying to flex everything. All looked solid until I repositioned myself and leant on the caliper to take my weight......it moved! The frigging top retaining bolt that holds the caliper to the slide bolt was gone!! 500miles like that at 80-90mph!

·
Registered
757 Posts
If you do go with the 17x8's you won't need 195/45's, 205/40's would look better. As for the miltek, have heard its not overly loud but drones a hell of a lot...I would look into the minigarage system if I was you. I've got the challenge replica back box and I love it ;)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok, as promised, a few pictures of my last project.

The engine came from a 2000 Citroen Xsara VTS. The same as the Peugeot 306 GTI6 engine, except with a 5 speed gearbox.
I bought the car from the neighbour of an elderly gentleman who had lost the ability to drive safely. The car had FSH, 42k miles on the clock, was a nasty shade of green, and had battle damage down both sides where the owner had misjudged widths. When I told the neighbour all I wanted was the engine, brakes and trailing arms, and that the rest of the car would be crushed, he replied "oh my, he's not going to like that!".

After a bloody good steam clean, and a lick of paint here and there, the engine nestled into its new home
SDC10516.jpg
Scouring the internet for months, I was able to stumble across a set of new 15" PTS Alloys
SL434's.jpg
And the holy grail of the GTI world....A genuine Zender valence
zender2.jpg
With a fully refurbished Peugeot 309GTI rear beam
SDC10527.jpg
The wider PTS Alloys and 309 rear beam gave her a phat ass!
with.jpg

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
GAZ Coilovers and Eccentric top mounts helped
SDC10526.jpg
SDC10525.jpg
Shortly after this I had a few blasts around some very quiet roads near me. All I can say is she was an absolute animal!
side by side.jpg
As I said, I was contacted by a guy not long after I had the car running who was interested in buying up all the bits I had spent months accumulating. Too good to turn down, I stripped the car. The shell is now on ebay making room for the Mini :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From small beginnings comes great things.....

Arrived in the post today, the rear wiper delete and stumpy aerial.

DSCF2078.jpg

Fitted both earlier on.

DSCF2102.jpg

A little tip for cleaning the glass around the hole. Go raid your wife's/girlfriend's/mum's make-up cupboard for the nail polish remover. A small dab on some kitchen roll works miracles. Just don't get any on your paint!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So a couple of bits arrived today....

DSC_0005.jpg

Broke out the hair dryer and a piece of dash

DSC_0008.jpg

Swore (alot), then realised this is the first part of many :crying:

DSC_0011.jpg

I did say "a couple of bits arrived", but the rest is trivial really :wink:

DSC_0021.jpg

Annoyingly I have to work this weekend and then theres 14-16hr days next week as things are manic right now. Progress will be slow, however the coilovers will be paid for! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'll be ordering the JCW Brake upgrade next week, other than that, all I have been doing is getting on with applying vinyl to bits and pieces.

However, a new pair of fog/side light assemblies arrived as mine were proper fooked.

DSC_0036.jpg

I've taken a few pictures of fitting them. As a few people have been asking. I'll create a seperate thread with the fitting instructions as some people claim its a bumper off job :banghead:

·
Registered
141 Posts
The silver inserts are screwed in the back on the steering wheel, easy enough to remove. I also wanted to know about removing the inner silver ring but I don't know if you can do that without dismantling the airbag etc. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The silver inserts are screwed in the back on the steering wheel, easy enough to remove. I also wanted to know about removing the inner silver ring but I don't know if you can do that without dismantling the airbag etc. Hope this helps :)
Thanks, there are indeed 2 torx screws.

DSC_0063.jpg

The ring comes off pretty easily. I used a flat blade screwdriver to lever the ring off. It's quite pliable plastic.

DSC_0065.jpg

Re-covered

DSC_0068.jpg

And back where it belongs

DSC_0073.jpg

1 - 20 of 645 Posts