MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe Powerflex now do two types of front lower arm rear bush.... The standard but uprated bush kit and now also an uprated, increased castor version.
Anyone had any dealings with both on a day to day basis? Apart from increasing the castor angle what's the difference in driving experience?
Also they do a product called a roll centre adjuster (spacer between the outer ball joint and hub) I was going to purchase some but then read some reviews and people were saying that they had increased bump steer once they were fitted, also fitting issues. Again anyone with experience of these?
Tia. Andy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the bushes with 2 deg caster on my R53 (but from SuperPro, not Powerflex).

Turning the steering wheel becomes a little heavier (marginally), but more direct and responsive as well. The tendancy to return the wheel to center also improved little. In my opinion a no brainer as an upgrade.

Regarding the roll center adjuster kit, I've read stories about bumpsteer, but I don't really have first hand experience on it. My friend did have a GP1 with that kit and Öhlins DFV's (and tracked the car regularly and fast) and did not experience bumpsteer, nor does the current owner of the GP1. I think it depends on your suspension setup if you encounter bumpsteer or not.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC U11 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I have the Whiteline castor kit on mine (been on there for years), it definitely makes the steering more direct.
No ideas on the other stuff though, sorry.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
the caster bushes will load the steering feel a bit and help pull it straight depending how installed of course, they will help increase negative camber in turns, which is better than running silly -3+ camber everywhere just to have it in turns, so instead you can run -2 or 2.5 just increasing in turns somewhat. This has potential of improving traction, reducing tramlining, reducing outer shoulder wear, reducing understeer, improving steering feel and feedback. It can lead to some tyre fouling to the front of the arch liner iirc.

I have the Alta PSRS bushes but never fitted them, yet at least, I don't think many cars really need them, let alone silly camber some claim is best, but that's me haha.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to grip well in the twistys at the moment anyway, only issue I've encountered is lift of oversteer.....if you can call it that, pre to mid corner sometimes when you've gone in a bit hard.... maybe weight transfer, lift off oversteer or a little to much brake force at the rear??? Definitely better since the B14's went on though. And I don't want to run any more neg on the front tbh, wouldn't bother me on a track car but on a lowered road car? something else to worry about scrubbing the insides of the tyres.
Reason for the OP is I believe I can feel a little bump from the n/s now and again..... it's had bushes, likely non gen ones, at 60k and we're now nudging 90k and been lowered, so I think it's f'ed the bushes up.
The roll centre 'adjusters' were just a thought to try a relocate the arms back to near where they should be standard to ease the pressure off the ball joints...... if that makes sense?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Even the genuine bushes don’t seem up to the task on a standard car for any decent length of time.

Best bet is to poly bush them if they have indeed gone again.

If you try and kick the tyre from the front of the car to the rear it shouldn’t ‘wobble’ about.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
the caster bushes will load the steering feel a bit and help pull it straight depending how installed of course, they will help increase negative camber in turns, which is better than running silly -3+ camber everywhere just to have it in turns, so instead you can run -2 or 2.5 just increasing in turns somewhat. This has potential of improving traction, reducing tramlining, reducing outer shoulder wear, reducing understeer, improving steering feel and feedback. It can lead to some tyre fouling to the front of the arch liner iirc.

I have the Alta PSRS bushes but never fitted them, yet at least, I don't think many cars really need them, let alone silly camber some claim is best, but that's me haha.
I only run 1.5 deg of camber, seems to handle like a little go-kart, just need a little bit more power really to make it truly fun.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only run 1.5 deg of camber, seems to handle like a little go-kart, just need a little bit more power really to make it truly fun.
I share your pain 🤣 Got most of the easy mods done already, next is a dive into the engine and charger. But gains vs money spent and with a house build in progress I'm a bit reluctant to spend. 🤷‍♂️
Something will go bang soon though then I'll have too. 🤣🤣

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So a little of an update, last weekend, 15th, I purchased a used set of superleggeras that came with a set of 215/45x17 ad08r's on. Traveling just to and from work I've yet to discover how good/ bad these tyres are? But in my head I have now discovered how rubbish my bottom arm bushes are! 🤣
As well as being a noisier tyre the car now tramlines a hell of a lot more........... which is nice! :oops:
So, although engine mods (amongst other things) are still in the back of my mind, next on the list is a set of standard camber Powerflex bushes.
My reasoning being that.....
I can't got any higher on suspension with the B14's on it
Thus I believe if i 'push' the wheel forward with +castor bushes I'm gonna run into clearance issues

·
Registered
7 Posts
You're not going to regret those OZ's and Yoko's! My first set of those tyres is about to be replaced. It saved 4 kgs per side compared to my standard wheels which is very noticable in braking for instance. The tyre walls of the AD08R's are very stiff, that's why it tramlines a lot more.

Keep in mind that if you add the Powerflex camber bushes (-1.25 deg) it will also add -2.0 of caster. Powerflex recommends fitting the caster adjusted bushes to get the caster back to standard.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC U11 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've actually not thought about fitting the inner ball joints, always thought they were a standard replacement tbf, but would definitely save on having adjustable top mounts. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
not something I'd choose to fit, forcing you to do the rear bushes to compensate, so I'd say only for extreme camber perhaps, I'd rather have the rear bush functionality for positive caster, and adjustable top mounts if available

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not something I'd choose to fit, forcing you to do the rear bushes to compensate, so I'd say only for extreme camber perhaps, I'd rather have the rear bush functionality for positive caster, and adjustable top mounts if available
Cheers Sean. (y)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I did this to a Type R years ago for castor, the front bush was part of the kit.
Was it an EP3 Mike? Same set up as the 'teg? With the big north/ south bush at the front of the arm, I think that's the only way they could do it tbf.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been to work today on my weekend off to do a few jobs, oil change, usual rear caliper slide issue, crank sensor o ring and n/s driveshaft inner boot replacement..... which has confirmed, at least, I need new bushes! There is hardly any resistance in the bush when the bottom arm is pulled downwards to remove the bottom outer ball joint. 🤷‍♂️
No real play or movement in the bush so would still pass MOT which is due next month..... but does need doing.
Also I now have to find a sump that has decent threads in it! 🤣 Which will give me an excuse to put a sump baffle in. (y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts