MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a strange one : Wondering if anyone has any advice ❤

Im struggling to put 2 and 2 together: Ive got no pressure in my top coolant pipe aswell as a noisy/ excessively vibrating supercharger.

As soon as ive had my MOT she starts playing up again. Ive included a video -which as usual tells you almost nothing.
- id describe the issues as an excessive whiring/ vibration coming from the supercharger exit horn area and no pressure/ coolant in the top coolant pipe (I got the car up to temp before checking).

I first noticed something wasnt right about 3 minutes after turning on my AC , the car didnt feel quite right and when i pulled over the engine was really shaking. Its calmed down now and it drives normally but ive not taken it on a proper run around yet. (The AC still works absolutely fine).

Im yet to have a proper look but the lack of pressure should mean i either have a faulty thermostat , a goosed waterpump , no coolant or a blockage of some sort ?:
-Ive flushed the coolant system 3 times in the past year and the fact im experiencing a noisy supercharger has me leaning towards a busted waterpump.
-Im about to check the thermostat as water is still circulating into the expansion tank but i assume it would even if the bearing in the waterpump was done and im not sure how that would cause excessive vibration in the supercharger / engine 🤔.

Any suggestions 😅 ?
-You wouldnt believe how much of an idiot i can be so even if it seems obvious please mention it.

-Im gonna have a look at the thermostat and all the pulleys this evening.
-Ive got no fault codes, its not overheating...yet , i changed oil in the supercharger about 4 months ago and it doesnt sound like a dry grinding.
-Its a late 2006 with 80,000 on the clock so it shouldnt be falling apart.

At the same time as the supercharger i also did the chain guides , the tensioner , crank pully , idler pulley ,belt , belt tensioner , gaskets all round , both position sensors , seized tappets , spark plugs, seafoamed , cleaned out the sump aswell as flushed the coolant and oil multiple times.

Thankyou in advance to the diagnostic gods of the Minitorque ; i know i can waffle on so i appreciate anyone whose even taken the time to read this ❤🙌

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
where's the clip? Don't do a 20 second one, get a decent length clip with camera held in various spots for a decent period, doesn't matter if it's 20 minutes long as people can skip etc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where's the clip? Don't do a 20 second one, get a decent length clip with camera held in various spots for a decent period, doesn't matter if it's 20 minutes long as people can skip etc
Ahhh ... ive been an idiot already.There was a couple 20 second clips incoming 😂 although its calmed down ill try and get some good ones ; might also try a stethoscope app to see if that can remove some interferance.

Thankyou for responding ; you're one seriously active member , i cant thankyou enough for the help you gave me last time ; i was in a real pickle ❤

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive managed to cremate my arm so havent had a chance to check anything out but i did manage to get some videos : As usual its hard to isolate the different sounds but there are some good clips in there (Especially if you've got some headphones on) : Recordings

In the video after a drive about : 00:54 & 02:40 are fairly representative of how it sounds in real life.

The coolant now runs though the top pipe again
🤔 , i maybe hadnt run it hard enough before (I had it idle for about 10 mins then i drove it spirited for 5-10 minutes) either way i already have a thermostat and waterpump ready to go that i should have done the last time it was in front end service mode.

The car pulls just as hard as it always does its just a bit more hesitant than i remember , im also not experiencing any overheating and there are no fault codes being picked up. Are the fuel trims of any use ?

Ive got plans for a solid fast road OEM+ build and im keen to gain more and more experience working on cars but for now i just want a car thats sorted and runs as it should.

On paper i bought a solid car :
Late late 2006 with 75,000 miles from a pilot who really let me give it the beans , jacked the car up for me to inspect (It hadnt even been cleaned: he didnt hide anything), almost complete Mini dealer service history, not an oil leak in sight and its just passed its MOT with no advisories.

But every month something new goes wrong and ive got to chuck atleast £100 at it just to keep it going. Theres nothing like a Mini on the country roads where i live , im quite consistently unlucky anyway and ive put so much blood, sweat , time and money into it but im starting to think that im never going to enjoy it.

Is this the normal life of an R53 ? Ive had enough of slowly changing every component 😂😭
It feels like the proper way forward with these cars is to just fully strip , uprate and rebuild.

-As my first car i had a standard R56 in the same kind of condition :I really didnt look after it properly but it never skipped a beat in the 4 years i owned it.

Im sorry for the saltyness ; ive been bottling my contempt for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts