MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

We are looking to purchase an R58 Cooper S but am bricking it having read about the engine problems. The car we are looking at does have MINI main dealer full history and would be properly looked after, regular oil and filter changes etc......

For all the bad comments on the engine and anymore will be welcome, has anyone got any good points, reliability upgrades etc......

Sorry if this has been posted to death.

Thanks for looking

Tommy.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,492 Posts
Age mileage service history, same as any other car,
is it under 50k, number of owners, dealer or private sale
you need to look for n18 engine, and you would be unlikely to get a n14 anyway.

they are good value compared to the hatches,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one, thank you for coming back. 10,000 miles and one owner. Really tempted just this blasted engine thing.....

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
N18 is pretty solid.
I have had two and got a 2012 clubby S on 60k still strong as ever.

No problems. Only thing I need to do is the thermostat and water pump. Fan comes on almost instantly now.
But there’s a YouTube video for that :).

Lovely cars and even after I have had my F56, these still handle better out the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, bottled it. R53 in sights, we are a lot more confident after reading up on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thing is, we had a 208 GTi. What a car, when engine ok. but loads and loads of problems. Real nightmare. Gutted to sell it but had to. That is why I am so nervous of the same engine in the later MINI’s

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Its n14 in the peugeot.
The R53s take maintenance money imo.
If I were to go there again Id go N18.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that is interesting, you have properly thrown a spanner in the works. In a good way though. So does the N18 have all the correct Pulev, timing chain stuff etc....... forgive my lack of technical expertise?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts