MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
That's you, that is.
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So having discovered a bit of a wobble on two of my pistons, I’ve decided to bite the bullet and do a rings & hone while I have the head off. I’ve heard good things about Hastings rings, but as I’ve not done rings before, I’m a little uncertain as to what size rings I need to go for.

Given that the car has about 90k on it, that I have the aforementioned piston wobble and that I’ll be doing a hone, should I go for stock size rings or am I better off going for oversized and gapping them myself?

Also, I’m reading on here that people are struggling with ring compressors and opting to ease the rings in by hand?

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
Avoid Hastings rings at all costs. I've tried them and they are cack. The ones they list for the R53 are generic (they have a plain profile rather than the asymmetric). I can personally recommend NPR rings. For fitting I've tried the band type compressors and had a bad experience. Now when I fit them I do it all by hand. The oil rings wiggle in easily and the 1st and 2nd rings just need a bit or encouragement from a plastic trim tool or 2

·
That's you, that is.
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting - I knew you’d used Hastings rings but I didn’t realise you’d had issues with them. Where did you buy NPR rings from? Also, NPR’s catalog only list standard size rings for the R53 and I’m sure you used file-to-fit - am I looking in the wrong place?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Avoid Hastings rings at all costs. I've tried them and they are cack. The ones they list for the R53 are generic (they have a plain profile rather than the asymmetric). I can personally recommend NPR rings. For fitting I've tried the band type compressors and had a bad experience. Now when I fit them I do it all by hand. The oil rings wiggle in easily and the 1st and 2nd rings just need a bit or encouragement from a plastic trim tool or 2
Guessing I should have asked first as I am doing the same process (hone and rings because head is off) and I already purchased the Hastings rings for my r53. Fingers crossed there good I guess

What Hastings item number did you use @Astroboy?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
Guessing I should have asked first as I am doing the same process (hone and rings because head is off) and I already purchased the Hastings rings for my r53. Fingers crossed there good I guess

What Hastings item number did you use @Astroboy?

I cant remember bud. It all got fucked up as their catalogue listed R56 rings for the R53 and vice versa. I didn't notice until I'd gapped them and found they wouldn't fit into the ring lands on the piston. Hastings admitted fault to their credit and shipped me a new set from your side of the pond. Sadly one of the oil ring spreaders failed and led to clouds of oil smoke. #fail

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
you don't really need a ring compressor on these but if in any doubt as to your confidence manually guiding the rings you have to go with what you think is right, just perhaps familiarise yourself with the small bevel edge at the top of the bore assuming the block hasn't been faced and it's less of a step but this is where you can feel one.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I cant remember bud. It all got fucked up as their catalogue listed R56 rings for the R53 and vice versa. I didn't notice until I'd gapped them and found they wouldn't fit into the ring lands on the piston. Hastings admitted fault to their credit and shipped me a new set from your side of the pond. Sadly one of the oil ring spreaders failed and led to clouds of oil smoke. #fail
Well that's some crap
Not hoping for that.
I did send my Vin to them before I ordered off ebay to ensure they were the right ones.
No smoke!

·
That's you, that is.
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did as I've gone large to account for the amount of boost I'm running. They 'should' give a fit within spec out of the box, but I'd always check 'em anyways
Out of interest, was is just cost that led you away from OEM rings, or did you reckon aftermarket might be better quality?

·
That's you, that is.
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mainly cost. OEM are about forty quid a pot and NPR are half of that. Plus the brand is my good buddy Nickbmw's recommendation, and that alone was good enough for me.
They do look pretty decent. Plus I read somewhere that they’re OEM to Toyota, which is also encouraging.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts