MiniTorque.com banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
I liked my One as it was, nicer to have a longer 1st/2nd imo, and 5th/top was still flexible on runs/motorways etc, it drove straight to 130 and on which for a One was entertaining enough for a plain looking car imo, still on T rated tyres😂.

Reactions: pipsyp

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Not been out this week so the cars spent most of the week on the drive.

We had a nice afternoon yesterday, missus used it to pop somewhere with the kids and actually popped the top down briefly which I think provided the kids some amusement.

Been meaning to get it up to my mates place for a bit of minor tinkering (namely an oil/filter and plug change, take a butchers at the PAS pump and rack bushing and probs to get the AC recharged) but hes super busy, and Im super skint having had to spend several hundred notes getting some fencing replaced and some repaired (nice living by the sea.....not when its blowy tho 😂) so those plans are iced for now.

Did take a look at adjusting the drivers window but annoyingly its not the top section that needs sorting.....bizarrely on mine it has no cogged adjustment wheels, just 10mm bolts but was able to get a regular spanner down there. one was lose but not affecting the allignment......seems theres some play in the regulator ( in that i can move the whole front end of the glass up and down on the mechanism) so gonna be a door trim off job annoyingly.

As mentioned previously got a few bits coming from my man Fro-dizzle, highlights being a v decent 3 spoke wheel and bag, rear beltline trim (thats in way better nick than mine, with a 99% intact lower rubber seal) and 3rd brake light (mine works fine but is cracked) so will be getting those on there as and when they show up.

Again minor things but i will get a touch up stick just to fill in some of the stone chips at some point, get some new plates and 3M them on....I also at some point just want to pull the front bumper as the lower grilles taken a whack at some point and is slightly broken and pushed in....tried pulling at it but figure be alot easier to push it back into place from behind😂

I think I will at some stage have to bite the bullet and get a couple of new rear light clusters too....putting it off but one of them has quite a bit star crack in it...also doing the usual thing of starting to craze and become brittle so kinda want to sort before one of them splits and starts letting in. Ive seen powerfuluk sell some aftermarket ones (OE copies) which are probably half the cost of Valeos (though they say they dont fit R52's which I think is bollocks as the lights are all the same) so might take a punt on those as and when I do it.

I do also want to try and tidy the seats up a little, they are the (I think rather lovely) dark blue/orange stitched gravity leather ones that were optional on the Convertible for a time. Be just a case of getting hold of some dark blue leather restorer but probably a job for the summer......also got to take care not to wreck the orange stitching!

Something I still would love to do with it is put standard S bumpers on it front and rear (wit the proper R52 rear bumper of course) as I think it would just finish it off really nicely....likely never happen tho unless im lucky enough to happen on a set for buttons.....certainly if anyone has a Chilli Red R52 S that they are doing an Aero swap on Im all ears 👍😂

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
atif malik had a ragtop S in red for breaking on fb I remember, can't recommend the guy but remember seeing etc

Reactions: pipsyp

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 195bhp (so far!)
540 Posts
I can’t believe the things you are finding like the cracked lenses, and bottom grille etc, never spotted any of that when I had it, not that I was looking

the seats are rather nice and a nice swap I did from the manky red cloth examples that were in before (was actually the 3rd set of seats in it!) they are in remarkably good condition when you consider i paid iirc £70 for them!

The thing is your changing so much the way it’s going it’s going to be like triggers broom!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I can’t believe the things you are finding like the cracked lenses, and bottom grille etc, never spotted any of that when I had it, not that I was looking

the seats are rather nice and a nice swap I did from the manky red cloth examples that were in before (was actually the 3rd set of seats in it!) they are in remarkably good condition when you consider i paid iirc £70 for them!

The thing is your changing so much the way it’s going it’s going to be like triggers broom!!
Mate u know what Im like, triggers broom had me in stitches 😂👍

Love the seats, think this side of a set of recaros are the nicest interior combo you can get in one of these! Just want to sort the drivers bolster out more than anything otherwise they are great 👍👍

Tail lights on most of these are getting past their best now, Ive noticed they do get bloody warm when the sidelights are on so guess over the years that doesnt do them any favours. Something ill get around to doing but in no rush 👍

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
👊🏽 Happy to arrange an early package with the wheel and some other bits in, but would need your wheel back so I can get it onto the flat bed when it goes to the scrap yard in the sky 😄

Most rear lights show some sign of fading unfortunately, I got a mint used pair last year and I’m fairly sure they’ve started going too.

My S bumper will be going cheap later in the year, wrong colour for you but would need a spray as chipped to death and part is flaking and has been touched up around the fogs.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
👊🏽 Happy to arrange an early package with the wheel and some other bits in, but would need your wheel back so I can get it onto the flat bed when it goes to the scrap yard in the sky 😄

Most rear lights show some sign of fading unfortunately, I got a mint used pair last year and I’m fairly sure they’ve started going too.

My S bumper will be going cheap later in the year, wrong colour for you but would need a spray as chipped to death and part is flaking and has been touched up around the fogs.
Haha no worries pal, honestly in no rush at all....with the lack of opportunity Im having to do anything with the car probably be weeks before I got round to it anyway 😂😂👍👍

Lights are just one of those things eh, purely down to age. The ones on my S had started to craze a bit. I have found some at BMS Direct for 39.99 a pop which I didnt think was bad so might give them a go at some point.

Give me a nod when you have the S bumper available, might be of interest pal, could do with a grille of sorts as well at some point (as if I did it the chrome...or at least some of it would go) 👍

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Haha no worries pal, honestly in no rush at all....with the lack of opportunity Im having to do anything with the car probably be weeks before I got round to it anyway 😂😂👍👍

Lights are just one of those things eh, purely down to age. The ones on my S had started to craze a bit. I have found some at BMS Direct for 39.99 a pop which I didnt think was bad so might give them a go at some point.

Give me a nod when you have the S bumper available, might be of interest pal, could do with a grille of sorts as well at some point (as if I did it the chrome...or at least some of it would go) 👍
Haha no worries 👍🏽

Of course, I’ll ensure you have first dibs 👊🏽 My current grill set will be going also, I also have the standard grill in the garage somewhere too.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
So hopefully the cars going into my mates place some point next month for the following:-

Clean out of the PAS pump, check of the rack (I suspect the bushings have gone)

Re-gas and clean the AC (not really missed it, but being a 'vert think it will probably help keep some moisture out of the cabin)

Oil/filter and plugs (running just fine but concious its been over a year since its last).....probably going to switch to 5w40 oil, just to give it a bit more cold start protection

Sort the drivers window adjustment (i looked at this and its the regulator rather than the glass that needs looking at....im not going to get the oportunity to get the door trim off any time soon)

Also possibly a little divisive, but I think I am going to get the K&N 57i taken off in place of the stock intake, probably with a Pipercross panel. I like the intake noise, but have found it gets a bit wearing on longer drives (particularly given the thing needs a bit of flogging to really get it going - it gets very loud at the higher rpms both in and out of the car). I also think on longer drives it suffers heatsoak, so the benefit of freer air flows probably negated by all the hot air its sucking in under the bonnet. Certainly when I had my Cooper (bone stock and probably well in need of a service....I only had it 6 weeks!) It went as well as this does (may a smidge less power, but alot less miles and weight). Something everyone has a view on but Im decided now I dont think is for me (y)

Super happy with it tho, throughout all the cold weather, occasionally not driven for a few days its started first time, on the button and bar the intermittent glitch with the PAS (which I dont doubt it just brush carbon build up and easily enough addressed) for a 16 year old,117k mile car its just proving super dependable, which is exactly what I hoped for.

I also think these cars make so much sense as a convertible. Despite this cars supposed softer suspension and lack of rear ARB...also that its tyres arent the best I cant say Ive noticed it be any less chuckable really than my previous hatch Cooper and S....still great fun and great handling. Also the few times Ive driven it top down (even with just the sunroof section open, which Ive done a bit more) really makes it all the more enjoyable. Fair shout to Mini for going to town on the hood for this car, really is a super bit of engineering 👍. I like it that much that if I do ever buy another Mini (old or new) I think it will be a convertible 👍👍

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
You will regret taking the 57i off, I lasted a day when I switched back to stock when I decided to sell it and that was with the bluefin still active

When I read some of the previous posts about changing the likes of the rear lights as they are cracked etc and putting the stock box back on and paying out for a new pipercross filter I do think that you should put the money towards the difference in the insurance cost and get the Bluefin back on it, it’s a wasted asset on the car at the moment, you can’t sell it on as it’s locked to that car and in my opinion it’s the best mod I ever did to the convertible

I could understand if it had just failed it’s MOT due to the cracked lenses etc but it passed 2 days before I sold it to you so it’s not like they are important or a safety issue, what I’m saying in a nice way is stop being so fussy over silly little things and have a bit of fun with a bit more ooomph!!

However if you do insist on doing the looks first I’ve got the red grille off my car if you wanted to remove the chrome one

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
So gave it a bit of a clean today (outside at least) as it was getting super grubby.

Gave it a good jetting off, followed by a Gtechniq GWash snowfoam (it doesnt make all that wonderful dwelling suds but does the job), rinsed, micromitted with more GWash using 2 buckets (but didnt use the 2nd bucket v much) and rinsed.....couldnt even be bothered to towel/leather it off in the end. My 7 year old lad had a bit of fun with the Karcher too but quickly got bored 😂

I also took the opportunity to use the Autoglym roof cleaner/protector kit I bought weeks ago and have to say its both an easy product to work with and seems to work really well. Hood wasnt terribly bad anyway as Jim had it professionally seen to when he had it and Ive washed it a couple of times since its been in my care but it seems to have come up really nice. Hoping the weather holds out as it needs to dry in order to cure properly but hopeful for some nice beading on it 👍......put enough of it on so heres hoping!!!

Anyway a pic from today, for a well used 16 year old 117k mile car I still marvel how well it comes up after a scrub!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Love the way you describe all the products and methods you use to clean it, a similar post form me would say....

used contactless payment to buy car wash ticket, drove in dirty, drove out clean, repeat process when cat fur on roof becomes annoying

she’s looking good though

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Low the way you describe all the products and methods you use to clean it, a similar post form me would say....

used contactless payment to buy car wash ticket, drove in dirty, drove out clean, repeat process when cat fur on roof becomes annoying

she’s looking good though
:ROFLMAO: (y)(y)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Looking Fresh 👌🏽

Roofs have to be down at all times unless there is precipitation in which case it can be up.
Cheers bud....might see if I can get it down and go for a little trundle later 😂👍

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Well as the weather was so pleasant earlier, me and my middle lad (only one prepared to come with me) went for a top-down spin 👍👍

Got maybe several miles before my lad complained of the cold.....did make me laugh as he chose to wear only a long sleeve T shirt for the journey as kids do 😂😂👍👍

Still we alternated between having the sunroof section open and all the windows. All in all alot of fun and what it lacks in performance (granted its not slow, but is compared to what I was used to) it makes up in smile and fun factor. Handling is still properly good as well.....doesnt have the go to really warrant missing an LSD and have to say it goes round bends with no less aplomb really that an R53.....it has softer suspension but I think it benefits from it really (certainly the rides better), doesnt pitch much and very chuckable.....BMW really did an amazing job at strengthening the chassis (I read somewhere its much stronger than an E46 rag top) 👍👍

The auto glym treatment seems to have worked pretty well on the roof too....threw a glass of water on it earlier and it beeded really good in places so quite pleased.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Regards the handling My brother in law was part of the engineering design team for the convertible when he worked at MINI in the early 2000s

he now works for spaceX!

161 - 180 of 180 Posts