MiniTorque.com banner

141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Well took the car to Surrey and back on Friday, was nice to take it on a proper run and it did well.

Gets a bit busy on the Mway of course due to a fairly short 5th gear and the lack of a 6th cog, but it goes well enough and despite a few toe down moments returned about 38mpg over the 110ish mile mixed round trip. Also quite surprised with the roof, I dont think its much if any noisier than the tin top TBH.

I like my music and one thing that I wasnt that happy with was the stereo.....it has some good Vibe/Edge speakers in it and they can go loud, but as soon as any bass comes into the picture at any sort of volume they sound overdriven. I figure its probably down to the speakers being mounted on the door trims rather than in the factory points....the door trims probably absorbing most of the bass they are capable of. The convertible is a little bit hampered by the lack of roof and smaller rear speakers (with the hatch having factory rear 6x9s) anyway.

No something ive ever done before but figured the easiest solution seeing as it has a decent Pioneer HU with sub control (particularly as Jim already had it wired) was to throw a sub of some sort into it. That way I could cut the frequencies to the door speakers and use them purely for volume (which they are good for) and push the majority of the bass out of the sub.

I stumbled across a Juice A8 for the heavy sum of £53 on Amazon so bit the bullet. Really I wanted a Pioneer underseat sub so I didnt take up most of the boot but they were twice the cost and beggars cant be choosers.

Anyway, turned up yesterday and with some assistance from Jim worked out I needed to fuse the 12v cable and reconnect the remote lead but after a few minutes fiddling its all in and working. Is night and day vs without and really pleased so far. Have set the HPF and LPF at 100Hz, with a bit of Loudness enabled and tis properly banging now 🤣🤣

So the boot is now mainly subwoofer.....never mind 🤣🤣

·
Registered
421 Posts
Get the door speakers mounted properly. That will help. Go from there. I have a small sub in my mini and it helps.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
If you haven't already you can use a push fit wiring block as a quick release for the sub cables to make it easier to remove when you need the extra space rather than having to unscrew. Also helps to prevent cables shorting when not plugged in if you do the bladed connections on the sub side wiring.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Yeah I might consider doing that at some stage as the wiring is a little tight in places which adding a bit of loom on might help with.

The live connections quite cool, it just has a blade fuse (like in the car fuse board) so worst case I can just take that out and its pretty safe.

V pleased with it though, I didnt want some tailgate rattler just something to add some depth and it does that extremely well particularly for the cost....hopefully it lasts but at £53 quid the quality seems barmy!!🤜🤛

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
471 Posts
The door speakers are actually mounted on the card with vibe rubber cones around them and noise deflecting baffle foam and extra sound deadening on the inside of the door, the sound in the convertible was way better than the R53 which had a similar set up but mounted in the original places

The rear speakers are sub/mid drivers, no tweeters as they aren’t really needed in the back, they are mounted on the cards as they won’t fit in the original holes with the size of the magnet so don’t try and move them!

as for adding the bass, that should balance out the sounds nicely now, I only amplified the sub, the speakers were working off the head unit as per your set up

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
👍
The door speakers are actually mounted on the card with vibe rubber cones around them and noise deflecting baffle foam and extra sound deadening on the inside of the door, the sound in the convertible was way better than the R53 which had a similar set up but mounted in the original places

The rear speakers are sub/mid drivers, no tweeters as they aren’t really needed in the back, they are mounted on the cards as they won’t fit in the original holes with the size of the magnet so don’t try and move them!

as for adding the bass, that should balance out the sounds nicely now, I only amplified the sub, the speakers were working off the head unit as per your set up
Yeah clocked that mate as I had to take the speakers out to swap the grilles originally. A funny one, good speakers all round and done the right way just bass was a bit lacking.

Dont get me wrong the sounds in my R53 werent top notch, but with JBLs in the front and my factory 6x9's evidently still in good shape it was fairly punchy....particularly given the factory cones were just crappy (and rather old) bits of paper made by Phillips....amazed after 15 years they werent blown to bits TBF....I probably got lucky!

I figured from the offset the setup would fair much better with a sub and now it sounds great...again wasnt after something earth shattering, just something to add some weight and the Juice (so far) does the job far better than I expected. Amazes me the half decent car audio stuff you can get for not a lot of money nowadays👍

Also mate thanks for your help, just the little pointers on the fuse and remote wire got me going so thanks again 👍👍

141 - 146 of 146 Posts