MiniTorque.com banner

181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
I had to take a trip over to Eastbourne yesterday, so with the weather being so nice (a solid 12c), I went roof down of course.

I suppose I take it for granted as its local to me but the drive over the seven sisters really was nice👍 Really like this little car, what it lacks in relative performance compared to the old one is definitely made up by being able to pop the roof and windows down and be at one with the outside......a pano roof has nothing on that Im afraid!

Yesterday I managed to check my PCV valve too, which proved to be just fine so one less thing to worry about come service time.

Its going into my mates at some point this month all being well so Ive started gathering the bits I need.....a mahle oil filter, corteco sump plug, some millers 5w40, factory spec NGK plugs and a bottle of CHF all from Opie. My PAS fluid is brown...not sure if its just discoloured or if its been filled with the wrong stuff at some point in its life but planning to get my mate to purge and refill it as best he can when he cleans out the PAS pump.

Ive also decided the K&N 57i is coming off. Its all very much a personal thing and I might come to regret it but Ive found the honeymoon period with the intake noise has come to an end....on some of the longer journeys im now using it for I find it gets a bit irritating. In fairness on my old R53, I suspect my non res Milltek would have eventually got on my tits had I used it as anything more than a toy/A to B car so its just one of those things.

Thankfully Jim let me have the factory airbox with it, so what Ive done is bought a Green Filter drop in for it and when that turns up ill either swap it myself or leave it for when it goes into my mates. Was funny....I was looking at either an ITG or Pipercross originally as I was after a foam filter but the cost of the things at the moment is just daft. I did also check out K&N but they were just as bad. This Green Filter wasnt exactly cheap but it was the cheapest of the bunch. Anyway am hoping it proves a reasonable compromise of flowing a bit better than the stock paper filter but with much like stock intake noise and it should last a few years (maybe longer than the car 😂)....... We'll see 😂👍

Also all being well it'll get its 3 spoke wheel, as my man Fro-dizzle has kindly agreed to send it to my mates place in exhange for the old 2 spoke so he can still move the scrapper about👍👍

Im also having a bit of a think about possibly dechroming.....its not something ive ever been all that drawn to (Ive thought about it, then quite quickly dismissed it) but ive seen a few facelift Coopers round my parts with some blacked out bits on them and have to say they do look pretty good. So therefore thinking about an aero grill of sorts, belt line, door handles and perhaps wrapping the boot handle and front and rear bumper chrome bits in matt black. May do the headlight rings as well. Thinking if I do eventually get around to putting S front and rear bumpers on it will look pretty good.....but we will see as its all money to do it properly!

Anyway quick pic to prove the roof did actually go down!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
I’m not sure about dechroming it personally, yes I did it in the blue one and similarly the red one I have now but there is something about the convertible that suits the chrome hence why I didn’t touch it and actually added chrome bits inside, I think being as you have taken the stripes off it will just end up looking like a basic R52 again with no bling or something to break up the darkness, I think as there is already so much black on it (the hood) it would be overkill, I’ll admit when i changed the white stripes and mirror caps for black I didn’t like it as much as before as the white looked so much better hence why I added the chrome pinstripe to the stripes to bring them up a bit

However If you do swap the grille, maybe try a red grille on it with chrome surround (I have one here you can try before you buy if you want) or ive got a blue standard one finishing on ebay tonight that you could maybe paint the slats black and keep the chrome surround

headlight rings, that’s the one bit I’m never certain on, it’s the final bit of chrome on mine, I keep thinking I’ll do it but then change my mind, it’s the one thing that when I look at my car from the front it looks standard(ish) but putting black rings on instantly makes it look aggressive which I want to avoid on this car, again I did it on the blue one before I got those spyder halo lights and it worked with all the other black on it but I don’t think it will work on a plain red car without something else to break up the darkness

hopefully the filter will be a good compromise, I’ve got a panel in the R53 and it’s as good as the induction kit in my opinion, I am however swapping the pipercross for a k&n this afternoon as I prefer them

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Yeah I think you are right TBH Jim....just have a feeling id probably spend out on KillAllChrome stuff to end up actually not liking it all that much 😂😂 I suppose I feel it needs just a little less chrome, not none at all 👍

Moneys probably better put into a body colour grille, boot handle and the S bumpers. Am interested in the grille mate, particularly as its already the right colour. Not something I can really fork out on at the moment tho

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
So my Green Filter turned up today, and given I never get much time in the days or at weekends to do much with the car without getting moaned at, I did the sensible thing of going out in the pitch dark, with my phone torch for lighting 🤣🤣

Getting the 57i kit off was easy, putting the factory airbox back in was slightly more of a challenge if only really for those bloody annoying latching spring clips and pipe clamps than BMW insisted on using on bloody everything! I got so sodded off with the throttle inlet one (so did my knuckles) that I just ended up ripping a jubilee off of the 57i and used that instead....probably more secure anyways 🤣🤣

I also had to shorten the intake to rocker cover pipe as I suspect the one on it was supplied with the 57i and so was slightly too long to go on without kinking so sorted that out too.

Tool it for a quick rip to make sure all was in order and on the whole quite pleased. Its certainly alot quieter (basically like stock) which was my main aim, seems more peppy at lower rpms (it seemed to have huge lag until it hit about 4k rpm before, certainly not as dramatic now) and all the more strange whereas before it would only rev to about its stock limit (6900ish rpm) now it will rev to 7.1 or so which it definitely didnt do before (I was actually surprised as was always pretty sure a bluefin'd car had a very slightly raised rev limit) so I guess thats a positive....not that theres tons of benefit as the shows pretty much over at 6k...6.5k tops but still interesting.

Does it ultimately go better....not sure......does it drive better.....yes I think so.......does it sound better.......no.....it basically doesnt make any induction noise now. It was one thing I did really quite like about the 57i but it was ultimately all show and no go (not saying its really slow, but it basically sounded like a sports car which I dunno really if thats all that becomming of a 120ish bhp Mini convertible)....certainly it'll prove alot more relaxing on longer runs for it.

I suspect ultimately what it might lose in airflow capability (and outright go) on a really cold day, it probably makes up by not suffering the heatsoak that IMHO the K&N did most of the time. Its also well in need of a good service sl am sure once the oil and plugs are changed it'll feel a bit better still.

More annoyingly the clutch is starting to judder like a bastard alot of the time (its not slipping but its biting point is also fairly high so is getting towards the end of its useful life I fear) so a new Luk clutch might be in order too. They dont seem to badly priced, wont need a flywheel but is a big job I never (thankfully) had to do on my old R53......😩

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
So a couple of updates!

I "think" I may have gotten to the bottom of my tailgate leak finally! Now Ive treated the hood, we had some better weather (so it gave it a bit of time to dry out).....now weve had the storm from hell for a couple of days with plenty of rain overnight.....was bone dry when I checked earlier much to my surprise.

I can only think that the section of cloth around the window seems to be single skinned, compared to the rest of the roof which is multi skined. Thinking maybe over time it may have been letting by a bit just enough on the lower right side to allow moisture to drip down and into the boot getting it wet. Now its been treated its probably stopped it. Will have to keep an eye on it but heres hoping.

Also hoping week after next it will be going into my mates place for an oil/filter and plug change and a number of other bits, probably to include a LuK clutch kit, rear main oil seal and crank sensor o ring (seeing as it will be in bits to do the clutch). Also things like the AC, front drivers window adjustment and PAS pump clean out/bleed with fresh pentosin will hopefully be taken care of.

Gonna be a few ££ but I figure worthwhile.

Also it'll hopefully come back with its new 3 spoke wheel and some new number plates. Really cant wait to see the back of the two spoke, even though its the smaller, perforated 'Cooper S' one its still too unwieldy for me...I find you can only really hold the wheel 10 to 2 because of the spokes which does get a bit annoying 😂👍

Anyway, give it a few weeks and there should be a bit more incremental change with it!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
No updates really chaps.

Seems the boot leak is OK at the moment so figure i probably just need to treat the hood once in a while to keep on top of that.

Last weekend did get the front bumper off and pushed the lower grille back into place which looks better. Could do with replacing the towing eye cover but as I might be going S bumper at some point not sure i want to spend out getting one TBH. I also put the plate back in the OE position, partly because I may at some point replace the grille for either a body coloured one or a black aero pack clone....undecided.....

Should be going into my mates at some point this week, Fro-dizzles in the process of getting the steering wheel and other bits out to me so gonna hold off until I have that 👍 Gonna be a bit of outlay doing the clutch and some of the seals (gonna get the rear main, crank o ring and rocker gaskets done) also keeping my fingers crossed the PAS can get straightened out. Its actually not been too bad of late but really dont want to have to buy a new pump (or worse still rack) for it.

Thing is running really well too, drives really nicely despite being desperately in need of a service. Managed to get the hood down a few times over the past few days too which has been nice.

Also decided the filter change was the right thing to do. Bit of a shame its pretty much lost all its induction noise (didnt really want it all to go as the Scorpion is v v quiet) but do think for me at least all round it drives better for it (and certainly more peaceful for those inside and outside 😂😂). Not that a NA 1.6 is ever going to be dripping in torque, I did find with the K&N whilst it was keener to rev out once spun up, in the mid range it felt incredibly flat and reluctant to pull which often led to the dropping of a couple of cogs just to get it to get a wiggle on. With the standard intake and uprated panel seems a lot more tractable through the low and mid ranges with far sharper throttle response, the upper end trade-off being worth the loss.

Bit of a shame there are not more decent CAI options for the NA cars, but then I guess they just arent the tuning platform the R53 is.

Appreciate im not really selling it on here (😂) but if anyone is interested in trying the 57i on their NA Mini (the noise is alot of fun) more than happy for someone on here to have it very cheap (like nigh on giveaway) + postage as its just sat in my shed and wont be going back on the car. You may need one ot two suitable jubilees and a longer rocker to intake vent pipe (the stock one will be too short, I had to shorted the one on the car to revert back to stock) but properly easy to fit 👍 also I think someone with a bit of know-how to put together something that seals it off from the engine bay (im shite with DIY) would get it working really well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Have tried Gummi Pflege on your rubber door and boot seals? Works a treat. Freshens up even the driest rubber and makes it supple and plump.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
The bits would be winging their way to you if Hermes weren’t being twats 😂 (see what I did there).

If they don’t come back to me on Monday I’ll get it booked with TNT instead and cover the extra 👍🏽

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Have tried Gummi Pflege on your rubber door and boot seals? Works a treat. Freshens up even the driest rubber and makes it supple and plump.
Yes mate have a couple of bottles, is my go-to...wonderful stuff 👍👍

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
The bits would be winging their way to you if Hermes weren’t being twats 😂 (see what I did there).

If they don’t come back to me on Monday I’ll get it booked with TNT instead and cover the extra 👍🏽
Cheers pal, no rush lands when it lands 👍👍

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Like the new steering wheel. Easy swap as well.
Cheers Nige, was a bit worried about undertaking it myself but agreed rather a doddle....think it took almost as long to let the thing discharge as it did to fit the wheel :ROFLMAO: (y)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
So fellas thought seeing as I was on a bit of a roll this bank hols Id give the rear belt line a go.

Fro told me the top rubber was pretty shot away, but the bottom rubber seal was in exceptional condition with no breaks which is a pretty rare commodity with these. On getting them out of the packaging I managed to break off a reasonable chunk of the perished top seal so thought Id modify it. Careful use of a stanley blade I sliced it off straight and true on both corners. I then gave them a bit of a clean with rubber friendly silicone spray and set about fitting them along with a replacement rear brake light. I cleaned the base of the hood first with a wet cloth and some bilt hamber APC as knew that area would be a little more on show once the seal was cut down.

Anyway its gone in pretty nicely. Certainly a decent compromise between leaving it as it was (no bottom seal and an increasingly perished top seal) and buying new (which Id never do on this car as the ridiculous prices they fetch).

Battery dying on my phone so no photos but will chuck something on here when I get the chance.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Just a couple of pics....came to realise I hadnt put the belt line on so it sat flush on the bodywork so adjusted that earlier. Ive also bought a tube of black Sikaflex EBT+ for when the weathers better and the nights are a bit longer will then probably tape it off and apply it to cover up the small gap between the trim and the hood (which would of course have originally been covered by the rubber)......its not going to leak or ought but figure it'll.just finish it off👍

Thing is properly in need of a wash!!.....also spot the hinge cover Ive yet to paint 🤣

Attachments

181 - 200 of 215 Posts