MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at getting some Phenolic Gaskets made for the R53 to reduce heat transfer to the inlet manifold .

Now I am about to trial one for Cadwell hopefully so will be able to see what affect it has had - It's here from a secret source :wink:

The theory is simple - heat from the cylinder head transfers into the inlet manifold and heats up the air . This is where your T-map sensor is and so this then sends signals to the ECU if it detects high air intake temperatures . It is my theory and mine alone :lol: that the air coming into the manifold is not actually that hot but the small area around the sensor is and so some of the cooling from IC's is being wasted and performance lost because of it .
It may be complete rubbish but as I said it's my theory :blush:

I have contacted a supplier in the states who makes them for performance VW's and will do a run of 5 for $350 ish and also Cosworth who would do 30 for as yet an undisclosed sum .

So if anyone would like to try one it'll be first come first serve basis - Obviuosly I'm not taking any money yet unless you're feeling generous :lol:

Points to note are the thickness of it - I have to assess this as the SC horn is tight to the manifold and it may be worthless or it may involve skimming the manifold to allow a thicker gasket and get the full benefit .

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,710 Posts
its not your theory, static heat soak....,
my inlets can stay as low as +3.5 even after 40 miles of motorway,

stop for a coffee then i am +20, thats not come from the supercharger....

ps you will need a skim if your at 5mm...

not intrested at 100 quid each [tax/duty/transport] but at less than half that might be worth a crack..

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not your theory, static heat soak...., inlets can stay as low as +3.5 even after 40 miles of motorway,

stop for a coffee then your +20, thats not come from the supercharger....

ps you will need a skim if your at 5mm...

not intrested at 100 quid each [tax/duty/transport] but at less than half worth a crack..
My theory was T-map reading :tongue_smilie:

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Id me more concerned about the inlet manifold sitting on top of your supercharger, thats where the heat pick up is from but you cant put a heatshield in between the 2 as you will restrict the flow through the inter cooler. Personally I reckon the gasket will do next to nothing but Im happy to be proved wrong.

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
Have you spoken to Webster about this, think he's been testing one for about a year ;)

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you spoken to Webster about this, think he's been testing one for about a year ;)
:thumbup: that's my secret source:laugh:

DaveF - I agree to a point but the head will be giving most transfer directly to the inlet as it doesn't have air to pass through first - When I get my outlet horn project underway I'll hopefully be able to get some heat shroud in between the horn and manifold . I'm FMIC too so no problem there :tongue_smilie:

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been running one for a long time now, Paul put it on the car post RMW install :)
Kept that quiet :eek:hmy: . Have you noticed any difference . I would imagine it needs to be thicker that the std OEM one by about 4mm so would need the manifold modifying - although you may have had that done too I guess :crying:

·
Team MT
3,405 Posts
Kept that quiet :eek:hmy: . Have you noticed any difference . I would imagine it needs to be thicker that the std OEM one by about 4mm so would need the manifold modifying - although you may have had that done too I guess :crying:
Yes you need to skim your inlet manifold.

I did have a pic somewhere of the one Paul was testing. Will see if I can find it and will post it if Paul doesn't mind:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I had this done 18 months ago and thought it will be the next best thing since sliced bread.

I use to use them on V8's to stop the fuel boiling in the carb.

Alas it worked well but not from a hp gain, but from a switch the car off and not see the IAT temp climb over 15 min period.

The IAT at 7k remained the same, so thats when I started to think about a larger pulley, 13.20% because thats the only way to stop the heat from an
M45 :thumbup:

There is another involved theory that i had which might work, but Hubie words would always haunt me

"stop chasing the 2hp's and just turn the boost up"

I think I sent the 10mm one out to him, have to ask if he has still got it.

If people want to buy them there is about a 2 week lead time, and if there is enough intrst i might make up the other bits which would help as well :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
Totally forgot about it, it's been on there for so long, there was a decrease in temps from memory.

·
Team MT
3,405 Posts
I had this done 18 months ago and thought it will be the next best thing since sliced bread.

Alas it worked well but not from a hp gain, but from a switch the car off and not see the IAT temp climb over 15 min period.

The IAT at 7k remained the same, so thats when I started to think about a larger pulley, 13.20% because thats the only way to stop the heat from an

There is another involved theory that i had which might work, but Hubie words would always haunt me

If people want to buy them there is about a 2 week lead time, and if there is enough intrst i might make up the other bits which would help as well :thumbup:
Turn the boost up but make twin turbos fit!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
freedom...blah
4,069 Posts
Turn the boost up but make twin turbos fit!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
That is what you need to do with yours dude, it's just sitting there waiting to be breathed on :thumbup1: The target is to kick the R35s lardy butt :p

·
Team MT
3,405 Posts
That is what you need to do with yours dude, it's just sitting there waiting to be breathed on :thumbup1: The target is to kick the R35s lardy butt :p
He only needs to add a blue bottle to do that :tongue_smilie:

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

But you have to do it 1/4 mile at a time:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::tongue_smilie: :tongue_smilie:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

cool

·
MINI!
3,160 Posts
I can only imagine benefits when the stock inlet manifold is a big lump of metal and like a oven with a sensor in the middle. Issues with injector spray position??

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Jun 4 ltr conversion and greddy turbos, now it's proper fast:scared: 9 sec qtrs no probs!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts