MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, ive recently rebuilt my JCW r53 engine and during the build I replaced the cam with a Newman ph 3/4, and a set of 500cc injectors. I’m now a bit worried I should of gone for the less aggressive ph2 and 380cc injectors and a 210 map. I plan to track the car and it’s not a daily. I assume I will need a remap / tune to make all this ph 3/4 to work? My question is, is it worth the extra expense to get this setup? I’ve heard of horror stories that particular cam pushing the valves onto the top of the pistons!! I could replace the cam with the ph2. Any thoughts and advice welcome.

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
I use the PH3/4, up to you on choice but it's a strong cam or has potential to be with the right combination,

any car on track is worth having set up, absolutely, even if you stick with the 2,

some might have hit the pistons if they messed up timing,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks carsorbikes, where do you suggest is a good place to get the car tuned once completed? I live in Cheshire.

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
I'm on the Wirral, and even though a fair old way there's only one place I'd go for mapping only (as I do the rest) as far as I'm concerned, and that's 1320 in St Neots. If you don't wish to go there you can buy the software and install it yourself to have mapped elsewhere but for the extensive familiarity they have with it, it's a bit of a no brainer for me. I'm taking a car there for one of my customers in a couple of weeks actually, best place for this. They haven't had very much time tuning with the PH3/4 I do know, and to be honest mine will go back so they can look into it more. There are other places claiming to be able to map these but some I don't believe are true custom maps, I think some just try several generic maps until they see the one they like the best or it looks the best on the rollers perhaps, others say they can get into the ECU but they still don't do stuff right in front of you I believe, so you don't really ever actually know what they changed and it could be abysmal irrespective of a dyno number or AFR plot, the timing could be all over the place or other areas. Can you tell I'm a cynic? Haha, 1320 will map it from start to finish right there in front of you live on the rollers, they also don't lock the map so you can still have it tweaked or do it yourself if you invest in the full access kit, then you can switch maps yourself if you change specs etc. Or just learn how to make your own, copying from one file to another experimenting and learning what to change, it isn't cheap. We all know there are some hacking maps from JCW's onto cars or dicking around with settings telling people they can do a custom map for changes people make in places like R53 owners group on Facebook but I'd never recommend anybody do that, they can tell you anything you want to hear, people that have done it might notice a bit of power but they have no idea what's going on, I'm surprised people risk their engines but it's cheap so I guess that's enough, I take things a bit more seriously. 1320 will talk you through some of what they're doing usually. For me years ago now they actually got into the generic map I'd installed through Autologic when I was running an Indy workshop near here and they showed me down to the specific cells that had been altered compared to stock. Suffice to say I can't advise anybody to ever rely on a generic map certainly on a performance petrol engine, some diesels maybe, but never for these, such a con. So, the only thing I can personally recommend, ByteTroniK ;O) Next to that it would be standalone. If you want to get out briefly in a car with the PH3/4 currently fitted and mapped that's no issue really.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks CarsorBikes, I could take the cam out and put the milder one in? Or would you stick with ph3/4 and hope a 1320 tune will sort it?

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
I'd personally stick with the PH3/4, they'll get it working well I'm sure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts