MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About time I made a build thread for my 05 R53! I've had this car around 5 years. Initially done the usual mods and done a few track days, then I got into bikes and spent a few years using my gsxr track bike while the mini sat in the back garden collecting spider webs. I now have a baby and life has taken over so my plan is to slowly restore the mini to get it looking brand new and a few mild engine mods etc...
Currently both subframes are off and all parts are off to be powder coated. I didn't plan on removing the fuel tank but the brake pipes need replacing and there's quite a bit of surface rust around the tank area and mounting points for rear arms. So these will be primed and undersealed.
I've got R56 arms to be cleaned up and fitted, got a mini one front ARB, still need a stiffer rear ARB. I'll probably end up pulling the engine out to give it a refresh and lick of paint etc as I don't want the car looking mint and the engine a mix of rust and oil!

Here's a few pics for you to get the idea

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery box removed, will have a plate welded in with lightweight battery. This will make way for R56 exhaust, thanks to andyr53 for the Scorpion backbox

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's been my dream for a while too! Just need a good scissor lift to finish it off... among other things ha
Ref the colour, I thought about selling it and buying an purple or electric blue one but a) couldn't be arsed b) there's slight sentimental value with this car

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah looks decent, can't decide whether to paint the headlight rings black to match mirrors or c/code to pepper White. Probably end up white as black may look too brash ?
Wheels - probably 15x8 as I like the low n squatted look ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the battery box welded up now, thinking I might just plate over the whole thing as I might fit the battery behind the passenger seat. What's people's thoughts? And is there anyway you can go without the orange safety fuse that gets attached to the +ve side?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I think that's a better location as the boot will look cleaner and can also put thing's in the boot area without worrying about the battery getting knocked about etc... Are you planning on keeping the fuse connected or can it be removed?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure mate, but to be honest once it's neatly sealed and painted you wouldn't be to tell. And all other panels on car are spot welded during assembly

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the engine out today, and also removed the ABS unit and pipes. Just need to decide where the battery will go now before I go much further. Ideally would like it in place of the ABS unit but I'm not sure if I can take the orange 250A fuse line out of the battery circuit. Don't want to cut the +ve cable back to find it needs the fuse attached also, as it's right at the back of the car. Will be in shit street lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts