MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up this Cooper S:

Its in ok condition and has service history but doubt its any real servicing (just oil changes) so apart from the items below the servicing and age related issues (like persished hoses) will be the first items to be addressed

so first things first: bonnet stripes gone as they were in poor condition and grill and bumper swapped to Aero type:

So near future plans:
Oil and filter change
Fuel filter
Cabin filter
Cam chain replacement
Front pads and discs
Cam cover gasket and sort oil leak (investigation req)
dechrome - beltline, door handles and boot handle
Clutch and SMF
Supercharger service
Wheel refurb
Fit decent tyres
Fit exhaust (purchased)
Fit coilovers (purchased)

Longer term plans:
R56 rear arms
stainless manifold and sports cat
Brake upgrade
Polybush suspension
Front seat upgrade
Repaint - front panels, roof
Underbody refresh
Engine upgrades - cam, perhaps complete refresh
Second set of wheels
Engine mount replacement
LSD
Water hose upgrade/replacement

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Next on the list especially as they are quick and easy changes:
Chrome petrol cap gone so from this:

To this:

Side scuttles replaced as wanted to get rid of the chrome so from this:

To this (although may paint the originals in the future):

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Also sorted out some crappy/worn wipers so from this:

To this:

Interior had the wrong steering wheel for year and a crappy aftermarket stereo so from this:

To this (also thought I would fit the Chrono pack):

So plenty to do in regard to getting the maintenance up to date (dont they all - its the issue with them being realtively cheap!) and have plenty more parts to fit and things to do over the coming weeks to get it to the stage where I am happy to use it and think it will be reliable (Im sure it would be fine as it is but would be happier knowing things have been done by me using quality parts)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you have to code the chrono pack?
No coding required, however mileage is incorrect (mileage is obviously from car it was removed from) it also apparently logs an error on the ECU (to say something about mileage incorrect apparently but doesn’t show on dash or anything like that). I am currently investigating getting the mileage corrected but generally it is plug it in and all gauges etc work.

·
Registered
693 Posts
No coding required, however mileage is incorrect (mileage is obviously from car it was removed from) it also apparently logs an error on the ECU (to say something about mileage incorrect apparently but doesn’t show on dash or anything like that). I am currently investigating getting the mileage corrected but generally it is plug it in and all gauges etc work.
Interesting. I don't think I'd be so lucky with my 2002 PFL.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Aero skirts would look good. I'd leave the original Cooper S bumpers though. the aero bumpers are either too fussy (front) or ugly (rear) IMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aero skirts would look good. I'd leave the original Cooper S bumpers though. the aero bumpers are either too fussy (front) or ugly (rear) IMO.
Cant wait to get the skirts fitted they look so much nicer imo. I know what you mean though and won’t be changing the rear bumper for this very reason. Still think I prefer the front with an Aero bumper especially when lowered.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
837 Posts
Good effort chap, like it 👍 do like the Aero front end, wheels are really nice too 👍👍

I really like the chrono pack but the mileage thing would bug me. I think the Chrono binacle itself has an EEPROM in it where the mileage is stored and it only ever syncs properly once with the ECU it was paired with from the factory, hence why it reads the mileage from the original car. The mileage on the speedo display is read from the Chrono binance I think (is a dumb display, same as nav equipped cars). Think it can be sorted but not quite sure how its done, think they wipe the EEPROM; basically virginising the binacle and it thinks its new and being paired for the first time.

Also, the R53 doesnt have the sensors to read oil temp or pressure so the readings are generated from an algorithm (and so are somewhat fake)... Strange but true 😂👍

RE the steering wheel, is worth noting the car doesnt have the chilli pack (i.e. doesnt have Xenons or front fogs etc), is why it would have had the two spoke wheel as it only came standard with this, was optional 👍👍

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good effort chap, like it 👍 do like the Aero front end, wheels are really nice too 👍👍

I really like the chrono pack but the mileage thing would bug me. I think the Chrono binacle itself has an EEPROM in it where the mileage is stored and it only ever syncs properly once with the ECU it was paired with from the factory, hence why it reads the mileage from the original car. The mileage on the speedo display is read from the Chrono binance I think (is a dumb display, same as nav equipped cars). Think it can be sorted but not quite sure how its done, think they wipe the EEPROM; basically virginising the binacle and it thinks its new and being paired for the first time.

Also, the R53 doesnt have the sensors to read oil temp or pressure so the readings are generated from an algorithm (and so are somewhat fake)... Strange but true 😂👍

RE the steering wheel, is worth noting the car doesnt have the chilli pack (i.e. doesnt have Xenons or front fogs etc), is why it would have had the two spoke wheel as it only came standard with this, was optional 👍👍
Thanks

Yeah, the mileage thing is a touch annoying but the couple of companies I have contacted believe they can sort that out exactly as you have suggested - by wiping and then re-pairing.

I had no idea that they were fake! I still prefer the look overall but good to know that the ECU makes up the readings

I did wonder why it had the 2 spoke steering wheel as no signs of accident damage, HPI clear, mileage is reasonable (so didnt think it would have worn out) rest of the car is very original and standard. So this completely makes sense. The 3 spoke is so much nicer though!

·
Registered
693 Posts
The reading on the oil temp and pressure gauges on my Focus ST are also calculated by the ECU. I believe most modern cars with said gauges that provide this information are the same. Anything read via OBD certainly will be!

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
837 Posts
Thanks

Yeah, the mileage thing is a touch annoying but the couple of companies I have contacted believe they can sort that out exactly as you have suggested - by wiping and then re-pairing.

I had no idea that they were fake! I still prefer the look overall but good to know that the ECU makes up the readings

I did wonder why it had the 2 spoke steering wheel as no signs of accident damage, HPI clear, mileage is reasonable (so didnt think it would have worn out) rest of the car is very original and standard. So this completely makes sense. The 3 spoke is so much nicer though!
No worries mate! You'll never find a Mini with the same spec really, all v different. Strange people didnt go for Chilli pack and optioned other things but lots of cars like it (Ive seen them without chilli but with full leather, climate, pan roof etc.

Yeah its funny with the oil temp, sorry I think it does know about pressure! Temp is definitely made up though based on an algorithm from the water temp...definitely no sensor for it 😂

Agree on the wheel....i went from a R50 Cooper with 2 spoke, to R53 with 3 back to R52 One (goes like a Cooper tho) with 2 spoke and honestly cant bear it 😂😂 do have a 3 spoke swap in the pipeline tho 👍👍👍

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
people go on about the gauges being fake, that they may be, but clever fakes nonetheless, if you actually live with them you'll get to witness the independent way they read and in a variety of driving conditions from warm up through to sprited runs or even track use, the alternative on an otherwise stock car being neither oil pressure or temp indication, and an even more vague coolant gauge, unless one has navigation in which case you lose that altogether, so in short, no matter whether they're fake or not, they're a shit load better than fuck all ;O)

·
Registered
452 Posts
No worries mate! You'll never find a Mini with the same spec really, all v different. Strange people didnt go for Chilli pack and optioned other things but lots of cars like it (Ive seen them without chilli but with full leather, climate, pan roof etc.

Yeah its funny with the oil temp, sorry I think it does know about pressure! Temp is definitely made up though based on an algorithm from the water temp...definitely no sensor for it

Agree on the wheel....i went from a R50 Cooper with 2 spoke, to R53 with 3 back to R52 One (goes like a Cooper tho) with 2 spoke and honestly cant bear it do have a 3 spoke swap in the pipeline tho
So true! I never understood why my mini has a LSD but non heated mirrors. Especially when that was a £150 option in the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 104 Posts