MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'll be doing a track day in a couple of weeks time and was looking at getting some decent pads. In the past I've used EBC yellow stuff and found them to be good in terms of wear. Does anyone else have any feedback on these. I need to know whether I should get them again or if ill be better off with another brand..

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
Alot of us have good experience with carbotechs, XP 12's front and 8's rear should be able to handle what you throw at them on track.

Downsides are increased brake dust and squealing if you don't break them in exactly as per instructions.

As for yellows stuff, tried them and hated them on track.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I did 3 trackdays with carbotech xp8s and they were great. Noise was ridiculous as a daily though.

My last trackday was with yellowstuff and had no issues with them whatsoever.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,724 Posts
i think if your a 5 -10 day a year track person
it might be worth 2 sets of discs and pads, esp if you've invested in track wheels and rubber

Get best of both, rather than being heavily comprised on the road or track

Yellows are a no go....

·
Learning!
5,804 Posts
I've had f&r yellowstuffs and don't rate them for road, yet alone track
Correct they do wear well though

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just thought I'd add my views here. I've just fitted some Nitrac 16-groove front rotors and Yellowstuff pads. I bedded them in before doing a trackday yesterday.

The braking with this setup was excellent, with some very high-speed and heavy braking producing no fade whatsoever and great stopping.

The downside however is that I have managed to use up over 50% (probably more like 75%) of the pad material in one trackday (approx 130 miles) :eek:hmy:

I don't know if this is "normal" but the 16 grooves are probably part of the reason for the high wear rate.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Why does everyone hate EBC pads so much? Apart from the high wear rate on the track yesterday, due to my grooved rotors, they performed well.
I think their abnormal wear rate was due to them being out of their optimal temperature range.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Also EBC have changed their range slightly in recent years.

Modern day Red is the equivalent to old style green, yellow to red etc.

Yellows is the minimum you want for the mini, maybe even blues would be better.
The mini for its size isnt a light car at 1200kg+.

Can i ask are you running the standard bottle cap discs? Or the JCW upgrade?

But yeah grooved or drilled discs are for looks only. They really do offer next to no benifit.

I binned my shitty groved mtecs (and warpped i may add) recently for some plain brembos.

Much quieter braking, less pad eaying and less wheel wobble = win!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Just my two cents.

I ran them on the road and thought they were fine.

On track is a different matter. They overheated quickly and stayed bad for the rest of the day. This could have been a mix of the Mtec discs as well, but the fluid was good so I know it's not that. Upon later inspection I had absolutely eaten them alive with only a few mm left, the back looked fine but when I changed pads shortly after the rears were actually about to be non existant and they'd also cracked up a lot all round.

Never again. Go Mintex, dusty, but same performance if not better and way more reliable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had no issues with the performance of the Yellowstuffs on track, even though I absolutely hammered them! I'm trying to see if the Bluestuffs are available for my size of rotors on the Mini (276mm), but I might try Mintex instead - which ones though? 1155? 1144?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts