MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My R53 has developed an issue where at higher rpm sometimes the battery light comes on an a lot of the electrics go dead.
It used to only be at very high RPM 6k+ but it seems have got worse can happen at 4.5k some times
Checking the voltage via obd2 port is is fairly normal at about 13-14v, then jumps to about 18-20v while it if flaking out.
I changed the voltage regulator on the alternator a little while ago and it was still the same.
Today changed the belt and belt tensioner because it had needed doing for a while and i wanted to rule out belt slip being a factor. I drove it again today but found it was the same.
I don't know what else it could be.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably a faulty rectifier pack

Gerry
How does that work?
I thought these had a rectifying regulator so it's all part of the bit I replaced.
If the rectifier is separate how does it it end up over voting through the regulator?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it has to be something in the alternator, i changed the battery because that had been run flat a few times but that hasn't helped
Very annoying, i didn't change the whole alternator because i was fairly sure it would be the regulator, and i thought i could get away with changing it without removing the alternator. I had to remove the alternator in the end anyway because it was too hard to get the regulator off in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts