MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume modern cars are not built that well anymore. I had parked up and gone shopping and someone In a brand new VW Polo had parked beside me.

As I began loading my shopping up I couldn't help but notice the Horrendous Orange Skin paint job. I even questioned if it had been in a shunt but it appeared the whole side of the car was the same! I am stunned that it passed quality control it was absolutely fucking shocking.

I guess most "normal" customer don't give a shit.

Shocking

·
Bugger
25,201 Posts
Modern paint? Or poor painting techniques with modern paint :laugh:
Water based paint is a bit of a PITA when it comes to application and curing from what I've been told. If you want to see how to do it right theres a great series by Larry who owns AMMO, its on his own 964 so hes putting his money where his mouth is.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I think it might be due to the fact that manufacturers are using a acrylic powder clear coat rather than a wet paint as they try to reduce paint emissions. Even the water based clears aren't really wet paints, they're more like a powder based slurry that you still need heat and UV to cure fully. You'll never get the finish with a powder that you can achieve with a proper old fashioned 2K solvent based clear.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Typical of lots of modern cars. Chris Harris does a vid on day one with an E92 M3 - references orange peel.

Some brands / colours worse than others.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Do it cheaper.

Has been the mantra for nearly everything for a while now. It is why China is such a massive industrial powerhouse, and India and the like are pumping so much money into engineering and CNC factories.

Just do it cheaper and save 3 cents per car, then put the price up on this years model because prices always go up. If someone complains it will be the dealers problem to sort it out.

James

·
Registered
124 Posts
My brand new BMW is like this. Frankly, I couldn't give a hoot.
I can't understand why people get so worked up about something so trivial...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts