MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for all the great info i have been able to find and sift through on this site. Places like this really make a new owner learn quite a bit .

Well i purchased a 2004 mcs last october and have been having a blast with it so far. I love the go cart feel when i drive it , but i feel like i would like to get more pep out of the engine . I do have some other maintenance i will be doing and that will be dictating what my engine mods budget will be .

My plans for the engine mods are as follows..........

on car already....
-gp intercooler and ddm diverter ( already on the car)
-magnaflow exhaust ( from the cat back)( previous owner installed)

want to add.....
- ddm intake
-17 % supercharger reduced pulley
-shorter belt for pulley
- new tensioner and idler pulley
-prw or ati crank dampener pulley ( stock size)
-bosch 550 cc injectors
-catcam 461 or 469
-bytetronics remote tune perhaps from 1320 ( not sure as i am up in canada)

My car is stricktly street driven and will never see track. I do like to do spirited driving and do most of my driving on the motorway. I dont usually go redline but it isnt uncommon for me to push to 5-6k rpm . After all the browsing trough the forum i seem to understand that the car will definetely benefit from a tune and injectors after the pulley upgrade. Since i have to do some work on the valve cover gasket and such, i was thinking of dropping a catcam 461 or 469 while i have the top open and i would hope that the car would benefit from the bigger cam. I am looking for more low to mid range for street /motorway driving Now i have no plans and my budget wont allow for a big valve head ). So my questions are as follows.......

- (including the upgrades and tune above ) are the camshaft gains worth it if i dont do an exhaust manifold or big head valve upgrade?

- If the camshaft gains are still worth it (and keeping the cylinder head stock ) Is it worth invest in a good exhaust manifold or am i not losing much and can put the money towards other maintenance?

- also would you guys recommend still doing a 17% supercharger pulley when doing the cam,tune and injectors or will the car be happier with a 15 % since i am running a cam ( keeping the stock head and stock exhaust manifold). I am not chasing every pony out of this , just want some more oomph out of it , but still keeping the car operating happy.

thanks a million for your time, patience and expertise!

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Bytetronik is based in the US, might be easier (timezone-wise) to have them do the tune instead of 1320.

You will definitely gain from just a cam. Catcam 469 is for ppl who live at the red line, milder cams will probably give you same gains up to 5k rpm without sacrificing driveability and/or idle.

-17% pulley will give you slightly more midrange grunt vs. the -15%, both will go nicely with the cam. With the GP intercooler I'd definitely go for the -17%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bytetronik is based in the US, might be easier (timezone-wise) to have them do the tune instead of 1320.

You will definitely gain from just a cam. Catcam 469 is for ppl who live at the red line, milder cams will probably give you same gains up to 5k rpm without sacrificing driveability and/or idle.

-17% pulley will give you slightly more midrange grunt vs. the -15%, both will go nicely with the cam. With the GP intercooler I'd definitely go for the -17%.
Thanks JKo,

yes about Bytetronik i did think about that and i have emailed them to see if there is a local tune shop in my area ( oronto,canada) that deals with them. I thought of 1320 a the tuners seem to really know what they are doing with minis and have so much experience , but i would also like a local so i can hit the dyno for engine health and more accurate numbers.
with the 469 cam, the more i search the more i find that it may be a little too agressive for me , especialy that i am not tracking it . I am def considering the catcam 461 or newmans also. With a cam i would def like something more mid range and that compliments the supercharger pulley. I really dont want to have high idles or have the car keep stalling on me i the heavy traffic.
I am def considering the 17% supercharger pulley .

now with the cam and pulley i wonder if the stock exhaust manifold and head will restrict the extra air being pushed by the supercharger and cam . Others have advised me that the headers adding the header is a good thing, but what i would like to know is will there be a big change between ( with a header/cat and stock head) or ( without header /cat and stock head) is it only a few horses or does it make the engine much happier with the extra flow?

Thanks a million for your time

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks JKo,

yes about Bytetronik i did think about that and i have emailed them to see if there is a local tune shop in my area ( oronto,canada) that deals with them. I thought of 1320 a the tuners seem to really know what they are doing with minis and have so much experience , but i would also like a local so i can hit the dyno for engine health and more accurate numbers.
with the 469 cam, the more i search the more i find that it may be a little too agressive for me , especialy that i am not tracking it . I am def considering the catcam 461 or newmans also. With a cam i would def like something more mid range and that compliments the supercharger pulley. I really dont want to have high idles or have the car keep stalling on me i the heavy traffic.
I am def considering the 17% supercharger pulley .

now with the cam and pulley i wonder if the stock exhaust manifold and head will restrict the extra air being pushed by the supercharger and cam . Others have advised me that the headers adding the header is a good thing, but what i would like to know is will there be a big change between ( with a header/cat and stock head) or ( without header /cat and stock head) is it only a few horses or does it make the engine much happier with the extra flow?

Thanks a million for your time
Howdy, to chime in here, can agree with said above, that the 469 I feel only starts kicking in benefits above 5000rpm.which sounds not what you want, so I wouldn't go for that in your circumstance. For sure the 17% pulley with your GP cooler will work well and be a substantial increase in power with it to what you have now. Tbh when I first installed my Mynes V2 header (catless) with race pipe, I felt no, difference. If you going for a wilder build then go for it, however for what you wanting, sounds like injectors, 17% and milder cam of your choice, if you must. I feel with just the 17% pulley upgrade you will probably be happy as the performance gains from that are throughout, without any running issues of a cam installed.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Howdy, to chime in here, can agree with said above, that the 469 I feel only starts kicking in benefits above 5000rpm.which sounds not what you want, so I wouldn't go for that in your circumstance. For sure the 17% pulley with your GP cooler will work well and be a substantial increase in power with it to what you have now. Tbh when I first installed my Mynes V2 header (catless) with race pipe, I felt no, difference. If you going for a wilder build then go for it, however for what you wanting, sounds like injectors, 17% and milder cam of your choice, if you must. I feel with just the 17% pulley upgrade you will probably be happy as the performance gains from that are throughout, without any running issues of a cam installed.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

Thank you hinges for your advice. Will def try the 17% ( or 16% with 0% ati) as the car is older and am really wondering if that combo will be safer for the higher heat.
Then will consider the cam depending on the outcome of the supercharger pulley feel. That should give me some time to get funds ready for a proper tune and injectors and/ or add cam .

Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
This must be a forum record.

5 posts enquiring about opinions on a cam in an R53 & no CoB. ;)
I scrolled down the posts to find his response and found your instead!
As David Coleman would say...'Quite remarkable'!!

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
:rolleyes: 😂

1 - 12 of 12 Posts