MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with little employment at the moment I went shopping again and picked up this quite nicely specced R56 Cooper today.

Half leather
Visibility Package
Rain sensor
Heated windscreen
HiFi
Piano Black trim
Anthracite headlining
Nice Colours and generally damage free
Under 100k miles

Issues:
Absolutely filthy
No MOT
Broken rear spring (usual damaged abs and wear sensor cables so lights on galore)
One headlight out
Plus the worst bit, a nasty tapping/knocking coming from the belt end of the engine. Can't make my mind up if it's a big end bearing or something on the belt drive.

Will do some investigation tomorrow, snow and pneumonia permitting..

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Car Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,052 Posts
belt/pump drive would have been my first stop, but does sound pretty heavy....

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
belt/pump drive would have been my first stop, but does sound pretty heavy....
My first stop also.. You're right it's an absolutely horrible heavy noise, sounded like big end. Manually disengage the water pump and its quiet as a mouse. It's the damaged belt making the pump drive clatter on the crank pulley I guess.

So this week it'll have new belt (obvs), full service and front brakes as they are shot.

Carry on cleaning it too, it's been a bit unloved.

Must say the hifi system is a very nice upgrade over standard, almost tempted to sell the Dooper and have this as a runabout instead.

Wood Automotive tire Bumper Sculpture Rim

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
877 Posts
Will be a nice little runner once you are done with it mate, shame im not in the market for another at the moment as this sort of thing would be of interest for a runabout (y)

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Making hay here whilst the sun, err, doesn't shine.

Replacement shock fitted
Brakes off waiting for new (someone had their moneys worth.. 95k miles and original discs, 1-2mm ish on pads)
Wood Gas Natural material Auto part Metal

Automotive tire Road surface Font Asphalt Automotive wheel system

Waiting for deliveries now so I can get it all back together and serviced, then mot time and autotrader :)

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,052 Posts
the discs I just took off the clubby had no shiny bit at all on the back 😂

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes I wonder if it's just me that cares about brakes!

New ones on now..

Pair of new 6000K D1S Xenon lamps arrived so they are in too. One was blown the other on the way, probably both original.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake

To do:
Rear abs sensor
Rear wear sensor
Service
Mot
Flog it

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Making hay here whilst the sun, err, doesn't shine.

Replacement shock fitted
Brakes off waiting for new (someone had their moneys worth.. 95k miles and original discs, 1-2mm ish on pads)
View attachment 105952
View attachment 105951

Waiting for deliveries now so I can get it all back together and serviced, then mot time and autotrader :)
Youre just being frivolous man!! Those discs look almost new.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so car now has 12 months mot and I'm using it as a runaround now. Heated screen was great this morning when I took it off for test, I don't know why more cars don't have it!

Slung it on autotrader at a cheeky 2.5k, seems high to me but there isn't a better specced sub 100k mile car there for under 3k.

Will see how the weekend goes and adjust. Price opinions welcome, I'm not precious, and time will tell. It will be a nice motor for someone. Will quite happily keep it and flog the Dooper for £1600ovno, some pics in the ad below.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
978 Posts
What’s with the last 3 pics in the auto trader advert, looks to be a different car!

EDIT: just read the advert properly, it is a different car!

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha! Yeah one of them has to go, or both maybe. Too many cars and bikes (apparantley)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts