MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I’ve got a 2004 Cooper S, it runs great, no problems at all.
When I turn the ignition on to the 2nd position my warning lights come on, except for the oil pressure warning light. It never comes on at all, neither yellow or red.
I ran the dashboard test and when I do that the oil pressure light comes on red and then yellow so I know the indicator is working.
Anyone got any ideas why the oil pressure/level indicator wouldn’t be working?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,530 Posts
yes, certain individuals might disconnect them to sell a car.

not aware of the oil light having a yellow function?

fyi there isn't a level sensor on a gen 1.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any update on this? I've just noticed my R53 has never lit up the oil pressure light with the ignition on, and I've owned it for 4 years and done over 40k on it 😂 Light comes on during the test as well so it isn't the LED.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No definite solution yet as I haven’t had chance to change the sensor.
What I have noticed is that the oil light occasionally comes on if the car has been run, is then turned off and then back on again to ignition position 2 (without starting the engine). The Oil light comes on briefly and one time stayed on for a good 10 seconds while the ignition was in position 2. As soon as i started the car it went back off, as expected.
I think it’s just a dodgy sensor in my case. The garage I use locally said there was no sign of oil pressure problems and I’m taking it back there to have the sensor looked at hopefully this week or next.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Had this with mine car was fine but suddenly stopped illuminating .....was a failed oil pressure sensor
I have just noticed that my oil pressure light isn't coming on. I've run the dash illumination test (number 2 on the secret menu) and the LED is OK.

If you unplug the sensor the warning light stays off.

Time for a new pressure switch me thinks.

EDIT: new switch ordered.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I fitted my new oil pressure switch this morning. Light now working again. Not a bad job. Easy to do at home on the driveway:

• Place a drip tray under the car to catch the oil that will come out.
  • Remove the exhaust manifold heat shield for room to work and to better see what you are doing.
  • Unplug the sensor wire. Slide the clip and press to slide off.
  • If you wish you can test your new sensor by temporarily plugging it in and grounding it to the oil filter lid, the oil warning light should now work.
  • Use a 27mm six sided deep socket and carefully slide it over the old sensor. You can try it on the new one first to get familiar with how it goes.
  • Undo the old sensor. Remember that you are working backwards. This is when the oil leaks!
  • Thread in the new sensor carefully by hand. You do not want to cross thread it.
  • Tighten it carefully. It does not go all the way in. You will feel it go tight. Stop there.
  • Clean up.
  • any oil spills on the filter housing and on the car.
  • Plug the new sensor in.
  • Test by turning the ingnition on. Your light will show. It will go off when you start the car.
  • Replace the heat shield.
  • Clear up the oil drip tray.
  • Take a short test drive to check for leaks. You should be able to smell any hot oil, but be careful and make sure all is cool before sticking your fingers down to test!
Oil pressure switch highlighted in red:

Product Automotive lighting Font Auto part Motor vehicle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts