MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install an oil catch can on my R56 S N18 engine and there seems to be hundreds out there ranging from £20 to £300. Is there actually any benefits in paying hundreds or should I just buy a cheapish one and get some decent hoses? Also if you’ve installed one yourself, which one did you go with? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,550 Posts
There's very little design wise to justify the additional expense of branded catch cans. The can I have on mine was only about £13 and it does a sterling job, even though it's not baffled. The only thing i'd say is to buy some decent hose. The stuff they come with collapses when it gets warm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that was I was thinking, budget can with decent hoses. I’ve found one on eBay for £15 that’s baffled and then mishimoto hoses for a tenner. Have you got a picture of your setup? Also have you noticed any difference/caught much oil since fitting it?

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,550 Posts
Mine is on an R53 so hardly comparable but it catches any amount of shit and it's not even baffled. No need to buy expensive hoses either, normal injection hose will suffice

·
That's you, that is.
305 Posts
Mine is on an R53 so hardly comparable but it catches any amount of shit and it's not even baffled. No need to buy expensive hoses either, normal injection hose will suffice
Didn’t you fill yours with stainless steel washing-up scourers or similar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Learning!
5,804 Posts
I had Saikou Michi cans on my old R56, we had a group buy on here and I helped Mr Saikou with cad design for the pipe connection angles etc - so got it for a great price which has escalated muchly since then - think they are +£200 now.
Still rate them as being probably the best solution due to the above and ease of locating/fitting,
Personally I've always struggled with the principle of putting smaller dia. pipes on a PCV system designed to use 19mm ID pipes, but maybe unfounded
TBH on an R56 I would budget for regular walnut cleaning (say every 20k miles) above fitting catch cans, but obviously the cans do help
If you are looking for a budget solution I'd only fir to the intake line and as Astro says use quality hose with petrol rating

1 - 7 of 7 Posts