MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so today I heard a very awful noise from the engine area of my car (facelift R50). It was a horrible rattle, which scared me.

This was mid journey (10 minute journey) when it started and only seemed to be happening when above 2,000RPM. I pulled over to have a look under the bonnet to make sure everything appeared normal and I couldn't see anything. After coasting home constantly below 2,000RPM to do the best I could to prevent damage (not that I knew the problem at this stage), I checked the oil level and there was absolutely nothing on the dip stick, there was (still is) no oil in it whatsoever.

I cannot understand why my engine warning light did not light up to warn me of a low oil level. The light still isn't on. This failure means that I could have (unknowingly) done a hell of a lot of damage to the car. Are MINI to blame here? Might I have a case to put across to them? I suspect not. The car is an 05 plate with 71k on the clock, already needed new gearbox, power steering pump and clutch.

On my way home I pass right by Cooper Teesside MINI and I was tempted to go in and get them to inspect the car and find out the problem, but for some reason I don't remember, I didn't do this. I may come to regret that. Who knows?

Anyone had any similar problem? I'm stuck as to where I stand. I'm going to put oil in the car in the morning and hopefully (HOPEFULLY!!!) this will solve the problem, but if not, I could be looking at big costs for a new engine or an engine rebuild.

Any help would be massively appreciated as I'm in desperate need of the car and struggling for money! This could either be a £20 job or four figure job. I'm dreading the result of my test in the morning.

Cheers, Olly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I believe that (at least on r56) there is no low level indicator.
The light shows up when there is no oil pressure, and this would mean no oil, and therefore "stop immediately".

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Olly, how long have you had the car an when an where was it last serviced?
Alright Scott, I got it for my 17th in March 2011. Not serviced through MINI as we are good friends with a guy who has a garage (Stockton Tuning Centre).

I think before I got the car, it had a full MINI service history.

@antihero3000 Not going to lie, I did consider it but can't really afford a new engine. Unsure what I'll do if the oil doesn't sort it. :(

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Unfortunately I doubt the oil will fully fix it.

You should be checking the oil at least twice a month an minimum of once at least. The damage will be done now, the car will probably run but not very well an will only get worse.

Lesson to learn is check your oil!

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Also, I'm unsure why you would think MINI would be to blame?

They where not the last garage to service it an it hasn't been serviced within the yearly interval. It's been 1 year 9 month now mate.

If it was within a short period of a service an there is no oil then maybe you might have a fault etc, But no oil in the car is not a good sign.

·
Premium Member
6,449 Posts
Alright Scott, I got it for my 17th in March 2011. Not serviced through MINI as we are good friends with a guy who has a garage (Stockton Tuning Centre).

I think before I got the car, it had a full MINI service history.

@antihero3000 Not going to lie, I did consider it but can't really afford a new engine. Unsure what I'll do if the oil doesn't sort it. :(
So when was it last serviced?!

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So when was it last serviced?!
The reason I wasn't regularly checking the oil is that I didn't realise my car didn't have an oil level warning light.

Forgot to mention, but the March 2011 was a reference to me getting the car, not the last service. It was serviced a few months ago. It's done every year.

The reason I was asking if MINI were to blame was because I thought my warning light had failed. But now I understand this isn't the case as it doesn't even have one!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
The reason I wasn't regularly checking the oil is that I didn't realise my car didn't have an oil level warning light. "

That's a bit hmm ---the girl is pregnant , cos I didn't realise I had that much sperm ..

Can be a bit harsh on here ,however ,there is a more than fair chance the engine Is fubar ,replacing bearings with sump off wont cure it . Engine from scrappy would not be that much so not really big money -call around some breakers

·
Wineeeeeeeeeeeee
2,286 Posts
You won't forget to check you fluid lvls again now! I never trust indicators etc to tell me when things need doing you have learnt the hard way, I can imagine a few ppl on here now poping out to there cars to check there fluid lvls lol I hope putting oil in solves the problem of you can wait order a simple to help collect any shards you have probably now got floating around the engine. Fingers crossed for you :) also if ya last service was at a dealers I would allways. Check there work they can't be trusted full stop.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Man. What were you thinking?
Waiting for the oil pressure light to come on before you check the levels?
This is just crazy!
Unless you have got a newly developed oil leak, a fortnightly check of levels etc would have picked this up earlier!!!!
The horrible thing is. You will probably fill it with oil, then sell the car on to some poor bugger that is none the wiser.
Weekly-monthly checks are vital to check for upcoming faults etc.

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Olly if the car was serviced a few month ago (3).. You will either have a black stain where you park the car or it wint be running very nice surely.. 4.5 litres of oil in 3 month is alot to get through.

Anyhow if you need a hand with anything let me no, you could do with flushing it out now an having an oil change before you do anything else, if you want I can pop your sump off an see what damage has been caused to your crank an bearings as they will off took the impact.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You can't blame anyone but yourself for not checking the oil in your car. Its 'basic' maintenance mate and should be done once a week or before long journeys. Here's hoping its nothing too major fella :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts