MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past week or so, the brakes have occasionally not given much feedback or actual braking when first pressing the pedal. This morning on the driveway before leaving the pedal went down quite far and it took a couple of pumps to firm them up.

It doesn't give much confidence when I come up to a junction and there isn't much in the form of braking and then suddenly they are there! :eek:hmy: I have it booked into the dealers next friday as it is still in warranty but any ideas as to what it could be?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Just keep driving until the brakes fail completely , then you will know exactly why , find a big hill and hammer on the brakes , then with luck if its a small hole in a brake hose , it will completely rupture and you will easy find out which of the four it is

·
Fffuuuuuuu!
8,606 Posts
Over the past week or so, the brakes have occasionally not given much feedback or actual braking when first pressing the pedal. This morning on the driveway before leaving the pedal went down quite far and it took a couple of pumps to firm them up.

It doesn't give much confidence when I come up to a junction and there isn't much in the form of braking and then suddenly they are there! :eek:hmy: I have it booked into the dealers next friday as it is still in warranty but any ideas as to what it could be?
You're still driving it? With no actual braking? God help us all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys I'm not actually stupid. I am not using it now.

It was very very rare when it happened, so much so I thought it was something I had done. Using the BM now so no worries.

·
Chop it
3,792 Posts
Sounds like your vacuum pipe for the master cylinder has a split in it. Could be an air lock or the fluid has aged but I would suggest your not getting full vacuum to the servo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it turns out that it did just need the front brakes replacing - whoops! According the OBD I had a few thousand miles left in them - apparently not. That put a nice dent in my wallet! :thumbdown:

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
So it turns out that it did just need the front brakes replacing - whoops! According the OBD I had a few thousand miles left in them - apparently not. That put a nice dent in my wallet! :thumbdown:
Front brakes replacing.
No OBC light illumination.
Dent in your wallet.
Dealer happy.

I am sorry but you've been robbed son... Your problem was brake fluid related from the start and you paid for new brakes? Disks and pads I assume...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Front brakes replacing.
No OBD light illumination.
Dent in your wallet.
Dealer happy.

I am sorry but you've been robbed son... Your problem was brake fluid related for the start and you paid for new brakes? Disks and pads I assume...
If you say so, but I do believe them. I get on with my dealer very well and I have to admit do use my brakes in quite a hard manner when I am chucking it around my local roads. The OBC probably said I had around 1400 miles to go rather than thousands like I said before on hindsight. That coupled with the fact that I used the car the day before and the front brakes did squeek a few times with braking suggested that they did need replacing.

·
Learning!
5,804 Posts
Alright Ben?
You really mustn't rely on your car to tell you when it needs something, whether it is oil, brakes, fluids etc. What you should do is check them yourself, that way you will start to learn exactly when things need attention.
For example, many people on here don't even have brake pad wear sensors - we remove them because they are a pain in the arse!
I have to say that the sensors usually go off way before the pads have worn, so you must be doing something right :lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Ian

Guilty as charged. :blush:
I am usually really good for checking everything myself as my father has his own haulage company so I get a talking to if not ha. I know for a fact that the computers are not to be trusted and to be perfectly honest I am still getting used to the OBD thing that I thought it was for an oil change.

You live and learn I guess.

·
Learning!
5,804 Posts
Lol you can ignore that thing too mate - every 6k miles for oil. Although if you are still I'm warranty you should make sure you get a stamp for the ones the obc says you need, as it may invalidate your warranty if you don't.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should be alright on the oil front for now as I got a brand new engine out of them not long ago!

But yeah, the intervals are much to wide.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A strange noise coming from the engine a couple of weeks after buying the thing. Took it back in and they had it back for over a week. In the end they said it needed a new engine block, pistons, the whole works. Can't really remember what it was that went wrong, at the time I was pretty annoyed and was only concerned about it being fixed.

So I bought a Cherished car and then got a brand new engine - bit of a bonus for me! ha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts