MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
That's you, that is.
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FFS - Ordered NPR (NE) last week following recommendations on here and received SM ones instead. The vendor's website now shows images the SM rings, though the description still says "NE / NPR" and shows a pic of the entry in the NE catalogue. :mad:

Does anyone know if how SM rings compare to NE?

* EDIT *

Received (very quickly) the following response from Lymm:

"We are currently changing over some applications to the SM brand but we haven’t changed all of our listings yet, we are in the process of doing this. The reason we have moved from NPR to SM with the W10/11 rings is that NPR have changed the material of the 2nd ring which is now wrong for this application, the SM rings still have the Nitrided rings where as NPR have reverted to a Phosphate coating. SM are a German ring manufacturer so you will have no issues with quality, they are equal to NPR. We took the decision to change over because the SM rings are suitable for modified engines where the NPR material are not what we would like to use with any increase in cylinder pressures, also as being the same as the original material SM will resist wear better than the Phosphate that NPR now use. I hope this sheds some light on why we took the decision to move over to SM, this was recommended to us by a few of our customers who build race engines."

Thought that might be of interest to anyone else about to buy NPR rings!

·
Registered
57 Posts
No idea how they compare but I have fitted an SM set to my R52 8 months ago (from Lymm). 7k later all is well.

Having had a liner fitted to bore 1, the piston was extremely tight and in my ham-fisted way I fractured one of the rings (can't remember which now) and had to buy a second set! If you want to feel them in your hands/have some spares I could send you the remainders from the second set I had to buy? Can't think they're worth anything as a part set?

·
Premium Member
4,149 Posts
you can probably buy a single piston set anyway

response sounds perfectly reasonable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts