MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 60 of 148 Posts

·
burble.. burble pop! pop!
442 Posts
thanks! another question, if your willing to pay money for a new induction manifold, your obviously looking for more power so wouldnt a trumpet attached to a throttle body each be more effective? than the system there offering? not trying to act clever btw.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So what is the plan here then? the topic says this is a project but it just looks like a half finished plenum or am I missing something? Maybe the project is the plenum? Are you running trumpets too? what car is it for? I did see something about a one or cooper...

Interested to see what your doing, shame your not doing the plenum yourself but its always good to see something different
The plan here is to make a completely new custom intake manifold! The piece in the pictures is the manifold flange, the whole manifold is going to be based on it! Using this piece, i'll try and make a manifold like the one pictured in my first post! The trumpets purpose is better air flow like mentioned, the reason they protrude in the plenum is that the velocity of the air around the walls of the intake is very small, because the friction of the air to the metal is larger than the friction of air to air moleculars. So the trumpets suck air from a clean wave area, almost in the middle of the plenum. Except for this, the runners are going to be totally straight, which helps increase the velocity.

There is one problem with the project though, there is not enough space in the compartment to have long enough runners. Stock runners are about 26cm long, while with the setup i am going 15cm is the max possible!

There are many reasons why i don't want to use itbs. One is cost, the other is that i have to swap to mechanical throttle, then use a standalone ecu, which would then require a custom harness, bla bla bla the story goes on! Too many issues! A WELL designed manifold (like the S1600 manifolds) will only give about 5% less power and torque than an itb system! Ofcourse in my case, noone knows what's going to happen, as i am not an engine builder!

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Alski, this is a part of a package, which is head/cam/increased cr/larger injectors/exhaust manifold/custom remap and forged bottom end later on.

I will not say anything about the numbers expected, as the truth is, i have no idea and i prefer to be pesimistic than optimistic and disapointed later on! I will mention here no matter what the result is, good or bad!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Nick is trying to make a project for N/A Mini's like no one has seen before and instead of getting help of the Pro's he his being kicked hard as hell... Fantastic MT here... :S

Nick for you i will just say this: what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...

If i can help in any sort of way, you know were to find me!

Best of luck!!!

One\Cooper FTW!

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
If it works, you'll have directions on how to make one for yours ;)

Nick is trying to make a project for N/A Mini's like no one has seen before and instead of getting help of the Pro's he his being kicked hard as hell... Fantastic MT here... :S

Nick for you i will just say this: what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...

If i can help in any sort of way, you know were to find me!

Best of luck!!!

One\Cooper FTW!

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
^^ What he said...

Noticed there are people begin negative about quite a few projects & products on here recently, the scene isn't going to progress unless people innovate.

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
Nick,

You would be able to make throttle bodies or a similar system using a stock mini throttle. By making a butterfly for each port and having a long spindle through all of it would sort you out.

There has been someone already who has gone down that route on a rally car but I can't at the moment recall the power.

For your plenum you may be better fitting a cooper S bonnet which will give you a little more room. I know the last plenum I designed I got lots of negative feedback from the forum. If you need any help like a gas flow simulation let me know.

There is quite a lot to think about with a plenum but I am sure you know that already...

Good luck with it

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I was already thinking making an itb system using the stock butterfly (this is how we call the throttle body in Greece LoL) motor! I thought trying this first, as it's easier! Then we'll see :)

What data do you need for the gas flow simulation?

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
These are far away from the end result, but it's a good teaser :)
The plastic radiator surounding on which the hood seals is cut, to make space for the new intake manifold plenum. And, the runners, on the R53 intake manifold flange :) Just to get an idea.

If you are a good observer, you'l notice the tapered runners :)

Attachments

·
Rooster
5,349 Posts
will be good to see this complete - all the best :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Nick, congratulations on your continuous effort on making your car one of the most powerful N/A MINIs around the world :)

41 - 60 of 148 Posts