MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’ve been on Minitorque for almost 11 years now, so thought I’d better introduce myself.
I did have a different user name, as I couldn’t remember my password, had to start again!
I bought my car in January 2010 as a belated 40th birthday present to myself. Only looked at 2 in total and brought the second one, not always the smartest of moves.

It’s a Monotone Black 2, Cooper S.
August 03 Build, Chilli pack, Climate control, Full leather, Panoramic sunroof, Privacy glass and had 49,500 miles on the clock with BMW history until 2015 and then 1320 from then on. (92000 as of January 21). 4 owners. Cost £7,500.

Jan 2011
I ordered a Dave F airbox from Dave, but in another thread saw there was a Dyno day at Evolve in Luton, so went along to ‘have a look’, well the look became have a go. So a 145 Flywheel hp (@175bhp) was the order of the day with just an Alta Filter.

Feb 2011
The Dave F went on. Then had the MOT done somewhere local and the car failed on the front lower wishbone bushes, so had them replaced by the same Garage. Only thing was the car felt terrible once they did the work! It used to jump to the left if you let of the gas and generally felt dangerous to drive. I took it back to said Garage to be told it was nothing to worry about. Unconvinced and after seeing good posts on minitorque, I called 1320.

Sept 2011
Went over to see them and Tom pulled the front sub frame down to find that none of the bolts where tight! And the Garage had damaged one of the wishbones. On Tom’s advice I had Poly wishbones bushes fitted and they gave me a new wishbone arm and fitted it. A month or so later I booked in for a Pulley -15% and an optimised by-pass valve. (53,400 miles).

I saw on minitorque that Adam (Marvel detailing) was selling his GP Intercooler (£250) and as he lived fairly near me. Picked it up and bolted it on. Also got some Black mirror covers of Kyri and ditched the chrome ones. Always hated these.

Dec 2012
I kept the car like this for a while, but then I noticed the clutch had started to slip (56,821 miles). Again 1320 carried out the work. Whilst at 1320 we started talking about brakes and Tom pulled up ebay and there were some R56 S brakes (full set front and rear) on there for £199 which I brought. These sat in my garage for 6 months before I decided to clean them up, paint them and then back over to 1320 to have these, braided hoses and grooved discs fitted. (June 13 58,795 miles).

I noticed my handbrake gator had a hole in it, so got on to Lawrence of LG trimming and he fitted new gators to the handbrake and gear stick, leather with silver stitching.

July 2013
I also fancied a Milltek exhaust (Cat back), so after a couple of months wait, back up to 1320 to have it fitted. (59,626 miles).

March 2014
I fitted an M7 scoop and GP bumper inserts that I bought from ORRANJE after painting myself.

April 2014
I bought a brand new Gen 5 Supercharger (From Davy) just as an insurance policy as the miles started to creep up. Still have this in it’s box in my loft!

June 2014
1320 had a Dyno day, so took the car along. Made 192.6 Flywheel hp (@220bhp), 165 Fly torque (188wtq) not too bad on stock Cam, injectors etc.

After 2014 I didn’t and haven’t done much too the car as family life, work and other interests took over.
I took the M7 scoop off. And put the original scoop and diverter back on as I like the smoother lines of the original.
In this time it’s had :
New PSP pump (Aug 16/73000 miles).
2x Rear calipers (March 16/75500 miles).
CV Boot and Lambda sensor (March 18).
Expansion tank (June 19).
Fuel Tank strap/Top mounts/rear brake lines (Oct 19/89500 miles).
2 Wheel bearings (Oct 20/91700 miles).

In the 11 years I’ve owned it, it’s cost £8200 in parts, upgrades and servicing, not including tax, insurance or fuel.
Still on it’s original suspension too!!! (I know, I know).

Glad to get this all down and in one place.

James

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds a real journey with ups and downs en-route, good to see you've still got it and it looks great.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Looks great.

I wouldnt do the maths as it would depress me but I think £750 per year in maintenance and upgrades is good value.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great.

I wouldnt do the maths as it would depress me but I think £750 per year in maintenance and upgrades is good value.
Yes, i know what you mean. I suppose £15,000-£16,000 all in for 11+ years of ownership is pretty good going.

·
Registered
422 Posts
GP intercooler for £250 quid sticks out in my mind!

Looking nice. good to see someone enjoy a car for the long haul as well. I've had my Focus ST for seven and half years and still enjoy it as much as the day I drove it home.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GP intercooler for £250 quid sticks out in my mind!

Looking nice. good to see someone enjoy a car for the long haul as well. I've had my Focus ST for seven and half years and still enjoy it as much as the day I drove it home.
Believe it or not, there wasn't any takers at the time he put it up for sale! He'd just got a black GRS and wanted to get rid.
£250 was the going rate, but since then the price has gone mental. This included the Underhood diverter too with the notches on each corner.
I think when you've owned something so long and it doesn't really owe you anything, you just want to keep it!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Believe it or not, there wasn't any takers at the time he put it up for sale! He'd just got a black GRS and wanted to get rid.
£250 was the going rate, but since then the price has gone mental. This included the Underhood diverter too with the notches on each corner.
I think when you've owned something so long and it doesn't really owe you anything, you just want to keep it!
Sometimes if you like a car, you just do and want to keep it.

Price of somethings (cars and their parts) are beyond silly now.

It amuses me to see people trying to sell R53 JCW intercoolers for more money. They are the same as on the non JCW cars. True the diverter maybe silver, but what's underneath is stock.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sometimes if you like a car, you just do and want to keep it.

Price of somethings (cars and their parts) are beyond silly now.

It amuses me to see people trying to sell R53 JCW intercoolers for more money. They are the same as on the non JCW cars. True the diverter maybe silver, but what's underneath is stock.
Yeah, I've got a standard JCW intercooler in the garage. Just the standard intercooler with a silver finish to the Diverter and JCW label. I got it to make the m7 underhood diverter.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Car looks lovely, and it's great that you've owned it for so long and are clearly looking after it very well.

Done well with the intercooler, should hand it down through your family the way they are appreciating 😂

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Car looks lovely, and it's great that you've owned it for so long and are clearly looking after it very well.

Done well with the intercooler, should hand it down through your family the way they are appreciating 😂
Thanks, I think when I bought this GP Intercooler, they were £600 new, so even then £250 was a good price.
Then they were £900 and now I've seen them for £1500 and more. Crazy money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts