MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a Newman cam is looking quite appealing to me at the moment as it can run on the standard map, and it's relatively cheap power if I do the spanner work myself.
Few questions though and don't shout at me for asking about economy - i do quite a few miles.

If I was to fit the ph2 cam on the standard map, will fuelling be dangerous or will it survive? Focus ST injectors are pretty cheap and I saw a thread recently of a guy getting decent results from that combo

Is it going to destroy my fuel economy in normal driving? Getting about 32mpg at the moment but would ideally prefer to keep it reasonable for the commuter miles.

Car is currently running 15% pulley, GP intercooler, milltek cat back and a jcw air box

·
Registered
136 Posts
ST 225 injectors are 380cc, same flow rate as JCW. I'm just not to sure if they have the same dual cone sprat pattern.

I'm in a very similar boat as you though with my current spec being JCW head, JCW cat back, 380cc JCW injectors, Orranje Airbox, 17% pulley, Airtec top mount intercooler and just bought and about to fit the Newman PH2 250/400 cam. Some people say 380cc are fine as the PH2 cam is more road orientated than race with a lower powerband, but some say 550cc are needed for safe AF ratios as the 380cc injectors will be running at more than 80% duty cycle (seems to be the recognised safe consistent upper limit of any injector). JCW 380cc injectors will run without being mapped, 550cc won't, so not a simple plug and play. 380cc will however benefit from mapping too.

So in summary, I'm not sure either. I'm guessing having it rolling roaded with the cam and 380cc injectors installed will show what duty cycle the injectors are running at a safe AF ratio and if more than 80%, 550cc (or at least bigger than 380cc) injectors should be installed.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,762 Posts
I'm running ST injectors and coincidentally have just ordered a Newman 250-400. I helpfully have wideband with logging installed as well so should know fairly quickly if I'm running out of injector (I'll be logging duty cycle as well). By the way, the 380cc of the ST injectors is at 3bar and the mini runs a max of 3.5bar so they'll actually be flowing 400+ at full chat

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a new fresh boxed Newman cam for £150.00 + carriage should either of you be in the market for one

was getting a regular 350 miles per tank,
Cheers! That's good to know that it's still decent on fuel with one - didn't you have head work done too?
Is there anyway to check if it's one of the ones made from cheese or is it a guess?

I'm running ST injectors and coincidentally have just ordered a Newman 250-400. I helpfully have wideband with logging installed as well so should know fairly quickly if I'm running out of injector (I'll be logging duty cycle as well). By the way, the 380cc of the ST injectors is at 3bar and the mini runs a max of 3.5bar so they'll actually be flowing 400+ at full chat
Thanks! When you come to fit, I don't suppose you could knock up a guide could you? :) Are you running the JCW map or the standard one?

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,762 Posts
There's already a cam fitting guide knocking about somewhere. I had the jcw map loaded as although the car will run fine in closed loop it was running ridiculously rich in open loop

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,762 Posts
quick install question....if I have the correct cam locking tool is there any need to remove the camchain tensioner? I've read a few installation guides and other than for the purpose of replacing the tensioner I can't see any point

1 - 20 of 33 Posts