MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Just signed up to the forum following a recommendation from a friend of mine. After going out in his Cooper S last year and having a look around I think ive pretty much decided that I'm going to get one of some description. Looking into it the more i become baffled as to the amount of variant's there are! I thought Lotus were bad with the elise when I was looking to buy one of them! Just came from a TT and having an MX5 as a track sl*g but TT has gone and MX5 may stay or go depending. Looks like I have alot of reading to do and need to spend a couple of hours trawling through everything before I make any decisions!

I have a 6k Budget, Potentially able to change that to 7k for the right car but that would need to be special as I dont want to spend too much due to being in the market for a rental property at some point in the not too distant future.

Really like those leather recaros Ive seen about but no matter what search terms I ever put in it seems that they are few and far between! Id prefer to go with the turbo variant due to the increase in efficiency which is a huge added bonus but by the looks of things Im going to be very restricted for choice with my budget under 80k!

I guess the questions I have at present are;

1. Is there a search Term I can use or something easily identifiable to show that they have the leather recaros? (Im aware that the chances of a turbo variant with these in my budget is next to non existent)
  2. In your mind whats the best spec to go for within my budget aside JCW
  3. Whats peoples views on buying either varient with around 60-80k on the clock?
  4. When and what major service items are due ie camblet waterpump etc?
  5. Whats the biggest/worst part of ownership for you?

Sorry for the newbie questions, Time to get a coffee and sit down for a while by the looks of things!!

Thanks in advance,

Andy

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Welcome. Firstly i think your going to struggle to get a R56 (turbo model) cooper S for 7k let alone 6k tbh.

1.) When you say Leather recaros which do you mean as there are a couple of different varients. Do you mean the ones which are identical to Recaro CS?
2.) What to go for? A nice R53 and put up with the fuel economy as your not going to have much choice in R56 model if any.
3.) 60-80k isnt really an issue as long as its well maintained. R56`s the big issue is make sure the timing chain tensioner isnt rattling on cold start as its expensive to fix. Also there are a number of thread on here about cars being coked up too due to the direct injection.
4.) Servicing isnt to bad but the two bits above are the things which could cost.
5.) Ownership in my experince has been good. But ownership wise ive had R50`s, R53`s and Diesels in the later models. Although driven every single type of mini known to man tbh

·
Premium Member
16,481 Posts
Welcome - Loui has you covered here it would seem :)

R56`s the big issue is make sure the timing chain tensioner isnt rattling on cold start as its expensive to fix. Also there are a number of thread on here about cars being coked up too due to the direct injection.
Out of interest how much is the timing chain tensioner to be done if out of warranty ?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Welcome - Loui has you covered here it would seem :)

Out of interest how much is the timing chain tensioner to be done if out of warranty ?
I wouldnt even like to think Dave TBH

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Just to note my cars is still available, has done higher miles than you wanted but most of the engine, suspension etc has been changed and has only done around 10k. It's tuned to 260bhp so has all the engine mods you would need and the exterior is a blank canvas waiting for you to get creative. Mines going to be returned back to stock next weekend so grab yourself a tuned bargain Before I part out on it :)

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
You can get very good R53 JCW or modifed cars pushing 230+ for that sort of money. I guess it depends if you want a total blank canvas or something already done for you :)

There was a lad who came into the workshop today to ask for a map for his R56 as an R53 had beat him off the line and he couldn't catch up. Simple inexpensive mods on an R53 give good power output. Save your money and buy a good one :)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Ah ok, sorry, assumed this is info you may have had to hand... ?

I just had the recall done on my car and was charged £13 for a new sidelight bulb :huh: Needless to say I didnt pay for it in the end...
I dont work in service mate LOL

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Ah ok, sorry, assumed this is info you may have had to hand... ?

I just had the recall done on my car and was charged £13 for a new sidelight bulb :huh: Needless to say I didnt pay for it in the end...
i do work in service but would need to work it out cant be arsed Dave :) if u really want to know Pm your reg..

·
Registered
322 Posts
im his mate, i took him round bruntingthorpe in my grey mini last year as said, Tweedbean, i have told him bout urs but he wanted more of a blank canvas to put his mark on it, but i know he'd have to spend alot more to get it to what urs is, but i still am pushing him towards it so ;)

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Mines even more of a blank canvas now as it has a full stock interior, s side skirts, s bumper, s spoiler and 260bhp. It's a right sleeper now, but he will have to be quick as the engines going back to stock next weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love yours buddy, looks really smart but im in no position to do anything this month at least. Broke my spine in november and still cant drive for another month or so but just wanted to get a feel for what to look for etc before i start deciding on what cars to go and look at and what not. got plenty of time stuck in bed for 3 months so may as well make the most of it!:laugh: Should sell that no problem I would of thought! :w00t:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts