MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Save yourself some money and leave the fuel pump alone. Unless you are planning on sacking off the dead head system it's a waste of time.

PS, and answer to my pm would be nice.
HI Astroboy, I cannot find a PM? how do I view these? Forums are so difficult to use although at least the coding is all done for you now hahaha!

·
Bugger
25,233 Posts
We also strongly believe 300bhp with an aftermarket supercharger is more than possible! there is a guy in Scotland with over 300bhp from an Eaton M45 (admittedly using a big old shot of nitrous amongst other mods hahaha)...
Its is, bit not for long... NOS doesn't count as anyone can bolt that on, its been done for years and his drag times are ok at best considering hes on drag slicks, I would take his claims with a pinch of north sea salt.

With a supercharger the block and cooling system on the R53 just isn't up to it, there was an R53 in Scotland running 350+ with a Rotrex on a totally rebuild block (Draton liners, forged rods, pistons and a billet crank), the heat was an issue and caused the liners to drop and one block to crack, and that was just with fast road use. Even with a turbo you will face a lot of the same issues, these turbo builds never seem to last too long.

I am very skeptical about your 270 on the M45. But let's see.

I don't think Lee has gotten close to 300 yet with his TVS.
270 on an M45 takes some effort and tuning, I would be as well. I've never seen an M45 car make more than 286 bhp and that was Alskis car many years ago when Chris was tuning them on a dyno that was accurate.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
A non res Scorpion with a de-cat manifold will likely as not, stop you getting on track,
the Newman PH3/4 and the Catcam 1302469 are quite different cams and will suit differing head specs,
the +2 crank damper combined with an 18% pulley is going to bring heat issues galore, although you might have W/M which you'll need especially using a heavy Airtec on track, as the thing will struggle to cool quick enough for the next corner,
I don't think I could trust an Airtec oil cooler unit but that's just me haha,
I don't think King have race main shells,
I don't think you can get an EQUP in an 8,
Kavs lightweight crank pulley I'd be cautious with as there is ongoing argument as to the potential affect on the crank nose or vibration of it and its knock on affect on the oil pump's brittle gears,
You might not really need a race clutch I suspect but not my car,
Quaife or OSG? Again quite different and opposite ends of scale re cost I think, have you not yet decided what you'd want, ATB vs Plated?
VT mounts, the bottom mount is the one responsible for most of the vibration in the comp set fyi ;O)
Who is mapping it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think its great, keep up the good work. Get the mechanic some better fitting overalls

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A non res Scorpion with a de-cat manifold will likely as not, stop you getting on track,
the Newman PH3/4 and the Catcam 1302469 are quite different cams and will suit differing head specs,
the +2 crank damper combined with an 18% pulley is going to bring heat issues galore, although you might have W/M which you'll need especially using a heavy Airtec on track, as the thing will struggle to cool quick enough for the next corner,
I don't think I could trust an Airtec oil cooler unit but that's just me haha,
I don't think King have race main shells,
I don't think you can get an EQUP in an 8,
Kavs lightweight crank pulley I'd be cautious with as there is ongoing argument as to the potential affect on the crank nose or vibration of it and its knock on affect on the oil pump's brittle gears,
You might not really need a race clutch I suspect but not my car,
Quaife or OSG? Again quite different and opposite ends of scale re cost I think, have you not yet decided what you'd want, ATB vs Plated?
VT mounts, the bottom mount is the one responsible for most of the vibration in the comp set fyi ;O)
Who is mapping it?
Wow thanks so much for all this info thats great!

Noise is going to be a massive factor thats for sure! I have been black-flagged twice as it is, so maybe I'll stick with a sports cat or use a more refined exhaust like the Remus or the Borla although im not to sure how loud these are either, I currently run a cheap 200cel cat from ebay which works ok but need to be something better thats for sure!

The head guy I am looking to use is Tom Biss and he is going to make the head match the cam and also tweak the cam at the same time, whether I use the PH2 or the £/4 im not sure yet... think I would rather use a Newman simply because they are British, I do however believe the catcam is the better product.

I appreciate that the crank and pulley combo will see heat gains will meth injection reduce this enough do you think? My thinking was that it would but I have not used or tested it before, however, if thats the case then I will change this combo based on what people think to be best :)

I am hoping to use the BeKool intercooler its pricey (£1500) but I think this will be far better than anyone the market that I know of! the front mounts seem to reduce the amount os boost pressure to much to warrant there use, the BeKool should eliminate this! My only worry with this is that the radiator gets reduced in height but made deeper to allow fitment, but its high flowing and handmade so think it will be ok.

King dont have race main seals you are correct however, I have been told they will be fine for application if not I can switch to something like ACL or similar.

Again correct but you still have the BKR8EIX or the BCR8ES which will run cooler but not sure if they will be better or worse than the 7's? imo any reduction in temperature no matter how much will be beneficial.

With the crank pulleys, I have personally been running one for over 3 years (0%) with no issues at all, but I have read the horror stories, could switch to the ATi maybe but i will rebuild the oil pump as part of the rebuild process as they are pretty cheap and easy to do :)

Interesting what you say about the clutch, I kind of like the idea of having it but more the lightweight flywheel, I suppose I could just do the single mass conversion but when spending this kind of money I may as well do it? will have a think and look at some other options

Im leaning more towards the Quaife as it is fit and forget whereas the OSG needs rebuilding and that is just going to be a lot of faff even though it is the better product imo

Will probably go road with the VT we have them in our JCW and have no issues with them yet but I think the comp will be too aggressive... Suppose I could look at poly bushing the standard mounts? Not sure how good they are or how they will feel though

As for remapping we currently use the Link G4+ in the car so will be someone who is competent with that, maybe 1320 mini as they are fairly local to us or maybe a local race tuning company if there are any in Essex.

At the same time, we have also decided to go with a ZRP billet crank, Yellowspeed Racing Suspension and either the Budweg or AP Racing Brakes this seems like the natural progression (will probably end up with AP's) but won't rule out K-Sports or similar, just feel like AP have more of a pedigree also need to get some bucket seats sorted leaning towards bride atm

any advice gratefully received :)

Miriam

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I think its great, keep up the good work. Get the mechanic some better fitting overalls
I will try, it's hard to find women's ones... I really want some pink ones but can't find them anywhere!

Thanks for watching and taking the time to comment, really appreciate that :)

Miriam xx

21 - 33 of 33 Posts